Vintage Speedy vs Contemporary Speedy

I think they will both fulfill this purpose but the 80s watch at $6100 seems very overpriced. The new one at $6500 is an okay deal but not spectacular. I’ve seen preowned Hesalites going for $4-4.5k recently.
Thank you, I’m not too knowledgable about pricing so I appreciate this. It does seem like the watch shops in Tokyo have factored in the “tourist tax” to cancel out the weak yen. Hence, I was quite surprised that the pricing is so close to what a new one is selling for, considering it’s not a special piece (though I have also read that the gilt cal. 863 is described as “rare”).

Hi all, so I’ve decided to get a Speedy for my birthday this year (today actually) and I’m in Tokyo looking at the various watch shops.

I’ve come across a very good condition vintage Speedy with an open caseback with the gilded cal. 863 movement, 1479 bracelet, box and papers, with tritium dial but no date on the warranty card so I have no idea when it was produced. Secretly wishing it to be 1989, since that’s my birth year.

However, for a couple hundred more than the price that the shop was offering, I could get a brand new 2024 Speedy saphire sandwich, which has the awesome bracelet and movement.

I’m kinda torn between the two. What do you guys think of the 863 vs the 3861 and will there be servicing issues for vintage watches like this? It’ll be my first Speedy so I want to make sure I get it right.

If it’s tritium then vintage is the choice. If luminova who cares go newer.

The reason to pay a dealer’s price is to save you the uncertainty of bidding against other potential buyers online or the effort of scouring personal ads and so forth. I don’t think the watch prices in Tokyo reflect any kind of tourist tax—if anything, they tend to be a pretty good deal if you’ve got dollars to spend. I tend to think you’ll be happier with the watch in Tokyo. As others have said, for that kind of money another better watch will surely come along, whether from 1989 or the current year, but “I bought this when I was in Tokyo, it’s (exactly?) as old as I am and if I take care of it I can give it to my grandkid someday looking almost as good” seems like a more fun story to tell, even if just to yourself.

The reason to pay a dealer’s price is to save you the uncertainty of bidding against other potential buyers online or the effort of scouring personal ads and so forth. I don’t think the watch prices in Tokyo reflect any kind of tourist tax—if anything, they tend to be a pretty good deal if you’ve got dollars to spend. I tend to think you’ll be happier with the watch in Tokyo. As others have said, for that kind of money another better watch will surely come along, whether from 1989 or the current year, but “I bought this when I was in Tokyo, it’s (exactly?) as old as I am and if I take care of it I can give it to my grandkid someday looking almost as good” seems like a more fun story to tell, even if just to yourself.
That is exactly the thought that I had in my head. Had gone on this solo trip to Japan for my birthday, since Japan is one of my favorite places to visit. And I was thinking, how cool would it be to look at this watch when I’m retired and remember that one year when I was alone in Japan and had the time of my life. I’ll be 35 only once in my life, and I guess it was a milestone that I wanted to commemorate coming out of years of depression and finally getting my life somewhat sorted out.

To be clear, there are absolutely no issues servicing the 861 in the 80’s Speedmaster.
The new, coaxial may be harder to service as many independent watchmakers haven’t had the specific training for this movement, nor are there the same level of parts available on the open market.

Hi all, so I’ve decided to get a Speedy for my birthday this year (today actually) and I’m in Tokyo looking at the various watch shops.
First off, belated happy birthday. Is the older watch in a chain resale shop of some sort, like Mode Off? Where are you looking for watches while you’re here? I’m sorry I don’t have any recommendations, but this forum can surely give you some ideas of where to look for vintage Speedmasters here.

Went with the older one. Very satisfied.
IMG_6569.jpeg IMG_6570.jpeg
Congratulations. Hope you’ll have many pleasant memories with your watch. Wear it in good health!