Vintage Speedy vs Contemporary Speedy

So go for the old one. You can serviced it mostly anywhere (to someone who knows it's job of course) and the history with it.

It's a Speed. It will keep running for years if you take care. Just the tritium hands that may (or not) go to dust at one point. You will have to change the hands for new ones (so you will have lume :) ).
The tritium hands are not an issue. Any competent watchmaker can apply binder to the back of the hands which will stabilize the lume and keep it intact. He certainly won't have to replace them with modern service hands. At worst, they might eventually have to be relumed, but even that is unlikely if the watch is properly cared for and maintained.

Also, I’ve read that this movement was made to a 1000 pieces. Is this accurate?

1000, I don't remember. The modern version with co-axial is no use in real world. Marketing. But that's my point of view.
The tritium hands are not an issue. Any competent watchmaker can apply binder to the back of the hands which will stabilize the lume and keep it intact. He certainly won't have to replace them with modern service hands. At worst, they might eventually have to be relumed, but even that is unlikely if the watch is properly cared for and maintained.

Yes or do that. It depends how the tritium aged. But only purist won't change the hands at all. It's not that a big deal in reality ; in 50 years there will be no tritium hands on any watch anyway.

1000, I don't remember. The modern version with co-axial is no use in real world. Marketing. But that's my point of view.

Yes or do that. It depends how the tritium aged. But only purist won't change the hands at all. It's not that a big deal in reality ; in 50 years there will be no tritium hands on any watch anyway.
I respectfully disagree. Ask any collector of vintage Speedmasters whether they view replacement superluminova service hands as an issue on a vintage Speedmaster reference.

Like 3
I would always choose vintage but it can be a minefield and less tress going down the modern route.

I respectfully disagree. Ask any collector of vintage Speedmasters whether they view replacement superluminova service hands as an issue on a vintage Speedmaster reference.

I get your point. But as you just said "collector of vintage Speedmasters". OP is not. He wants a nice watch for is birthday. Whether he will have to change, re-lume or not in 20 years is not a big concern.

Y
I get your point. But as you just said "collector of vintage Speedmasters". OP is not. He wants a nice watch for is birthday. Whether he will have to change, re-lume or not in 20 years is not a big concern.
Yeah I’m not much of a collector. But would love a watch that I can treasure for years to come. I have a sub, but fell out of love for it and it’s too heavy for my liking. The Speedy wears perfect.

I’m picking this one you pictured below. …. Still too many issues with the new modern model that haven’t been all weeded out yet.

I’m picking this one you pictured below. …. Still too many issues with the new modern model that haven’t been all weeded out yet.
Oh what issues are there with the modern one?

Y

Yeah I’m not much of a collector. But would love a watch that I can treasure for years to come. I have a sub, but fell out of love for it and it’s too heavy for my liking. The Speedy wears perfect.

Wasn't saying that in a bad way. On the contrary ;)

Can't go wrong with one or the other Speedy. And don't over think it listening every one or you will end up with a Casio :)

Like 1
I’d opt for vintage all day but the price seems high relative to a new Sapphire Sandwich. I’d expect there’s better value in Tokyo.

Like 1
I wouldn't consider the pre-owned watch you are considering to be vintage or collectible, so it's really just a matter of your personal preference. Both are perfectly good watches, buy whatever will make you more happy.

Oh what issues are there with the modern one?

Where do you want me to start….several issues from aesthetics to movement issues… plenty of threads over the last 2 years.

Like 1
I’d opt for vintage all day but the price seems high relative to a new Sapphire Sandwich. I’d expect there’s better value in Tokyo.
Basically the vintage is $6100 and there’s a seller back home selling a brand new 2024 sapphire sandwich for $6500.

Basically the vintage is $6100 and there’s a seller back home selling a brand new 2024 sapphire sandwich for $6500.

This is my arm chair analysis. You went looking for a birth year Speedy and found one (or close to birth year) you liked. But now you have a fear of missing a better deal on a new speedy. This sounds like you only want to get the new speedy because it's a value. That's not a good reason.

Also, you will be able to find new speedys again for 6500. Maybe not everyday, but you will. You might want to get the new white dial 3861, so you'd have a black dial and white dial.

Indulgence me in an old man story. In 1976, I was going to buy a 1964 convertible Corvette for $2500 with a rebuilt 327 engine. That night, I went to work and told my coworker that I was buying the car the next day. She told me her son was selling a 1970 T-top Corvette for $3000.

Short story, I bought the 1970 big block for 3000 because it seemed like a better deal. It was a piece of shit that I spent years fixing, including getting a new crate engine. I regretted not getting what I really wanted, that 64.

Don't be an old man with regrets, get what you set out to get.

Like 6
$6100 sounds insanely expensive for a pre-owned 80s Speedmaster. You keep calling it vintage, but it's not. It is not a collectible watch.

Like 2
$6100 sounds insanely expensive for a pre-owned 80s Speedmaster. You keep calling it vintage, but it's not. It is not a collectible watch.
I’m not so well versed in the terminology but I do see many places calling these vintage so I just go with it. I don’t care as much for whether it is a collectable, or whether its value might increase over time. Just looking for a watch that I can beat up as a daily driver to go through life with me pretty much. Also, I personally like the display caseback, and a lot of the collectable editions don’t come with those.

I’m not so well versed in the terminology but I do see many places calling these vintage so I just go with it. I don’t care as much for whether it is a collectable, or whether its value might increase over time. Just looking for a watch that I can beat up as a daily driver to go through life with me pretty much. Also, I personally like the display caseback, and a lot of the collectable editions don’t come with those.
Why ask for advice? Just buy what you like.

Why ask for advice? Just buy what you like.
Was more concerned about the servicing options in future for such an old watch since I’ve never bought one quite this old before. And also wanted to know if there’s anything that I should take note of, like accuracy of the movement, etc. Granted, I’m not too experienced with Speedmasters, so wanted to hear the opinions of those who are here.

I know about the “buy what you like” frame of mind, and I do agree with it. But it’s more trying to make sure what I like won’t turn into regret later on if it’s gonna cost me a lot more to maintain and service it. Also, I did read that the new models have a great bracelet and come with all the technological advancements (METAS certification, Co-Axial escapement, etc).

Just looking for a watch that I can beat up as a daily driver to go through life with me pretty much.
I think they will both fulfill this purpose but the 80s watch at $6100 seems very overpriced. The new one at $6500 is an okay deal but not spectacular. I’ve seen preowned Hesalites going for $4-4.5k recently.

Like 5