Vintage seamaster price

Posts
63
Likes
8
Hi
I have an opportunity to purchase this vintage omega seamaster for $430 US.
Is it a fair price or way off? It is running. Also anybody know the ref number for this model?
Thanks in advance for input
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
Poor photos, but it looks like a reference 14389 or 14390. Case looks unpolished, which is a plus, as are the alpha hands, but the dial looks fairly patinated, which I consider to be a minus. We would need to see better photos, including one of the movement, to give you a better assessment. The asking price is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.
 
Posts
3,146
Likes
6,545
Tell him, not to position the watch on his dog to take a picture. At least: not on a black dog.
 
Posts
63
Likes
8
Thank you for your answer, I just asked for a better picture of the front. I have 2 videos of it running. I can post them maybe? So a good price? She can’t open it, it is her dads watch she is selling.
 
Posts
63
Likes
8
Tell him, not to position the watch on his dog to take a picture. At least: not on a black dog.
Hahaha you’re absolutely right
Maybe it’s a rug but surely looks like a dog
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
Thank you for your answer, I just asked for a better picture of the front. I have 2 videos of it running. I can post them maybe? So a good price? She can’t open it, it is her dads watch she is selling.
I said that it’s a low price. That doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a good price. It all depends upon the condition of the watch. Here’s what a watch similar to yours looks like in very good condition:
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
hm... but it s a coathanger SEAMASTER!
And that’s always nice, but I’d want to see better photos of the dial and a photo of the movement before I’d weigh in on whether it’s a good deal at $430.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
What does that mean? Shitty model?
No, the “coat hanger” S in the Seamaster text is a version that many collectors prefer.
 
Posts
63
Likes
8
no, that s the (nice!!) appearance of the S in Seamaster
Oh okay
Great, yeah that looks nice. She just sent me a picture. I suspect maybe the crystal is washed out as it is not possible to see the dial that good.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
Here’s another good example for comparison, this one without the alpha hands:
 
Posts
13,518
Likes
23,452
You’re going to struggle to much more by way of info without a better shot of the dial. A cotton cloth and some toothpaste would help clean the crystal to perhaps get a better view.
From what we can see it looks like the dial has degraded around some of the hour markers and has some slight discolouration. This is typical for a watch of this age.
So the price is about right or slightly high as the dial is still a gamble. If the condition were similar to the ones above (which is unlikely) it would be a good buy.
 
Posts
3,146
Likes
6,545
I would judge the dial on a 5 of 10 for a collector.....as mentioned above. trace between 5 and 6??
 
Posts
2,990
Likes
4,747
You can link to a youtube video. ^^^ Click the camera icon above.