Vintage Seamaster Help

Hey everyone,

I’m new to watch collecting but have been really interested in buying a vintage Seamaster or Constellation. I’ve been doing some reading and browsing to try and educate myself but I understand vintage watches can be a bit risky sometimes. I’m looking at this watch in particular and wanted to see if the community had any “watch-outs” or tips. Thanks everyone!

Welcome. Overexposed poorly focused photo need straight on good quality shot to assess
But looks like redial Need more photos
What is asking price?
Suggest you read the Learn How to Fish thread, find a specific reference you like and look at as many as you can to learn the details what to look for.
Also follow the Recommended EBay listings thread to see better examples watch that daily and you will learn a lot.
Take your time if you dive in without knowledge you will likely buy something regrettable
Stick around and enjoy

The dial looks original to me, but I agree better pictures are needed to confirm.

Welcome. Overexposed poorly focused photo need straight on good quality shot to assess
But looks like redial Need more photos
What is asking price?
Suggest you read the Learn How to Fish thread, find a specific reference you like and look at as many as you can to learn the details what to look for.
Also follow the Recommended EBay listings thread to see better examples watch that daily and you will learn a lot.
Take your time if you dive in without knowledge you will likely buy something regrettable
Stick around and enjoy

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you! I've attached an updated photo and would very much appreciate any opinions on the dial, movement, and case. The asking price is $850 including the beads of rice bracelet.

Thank you for the advice. I'll continue to track the eBay listings here to try and pick up a few things.

Movement either needs service or was poorly serviced, note the position of the regulator. Also note the difference in color between the main plate and the rotor/rotor bridge. Replaced, put together?... Additionally the case is polished I'd pass at anything above $450-500. Best thing about this one is the dial but it doesn't make up for the other issues, especially at $850.

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.37.01 PM.png

I'll second and link here the Learn How to Fish thread.

For buying, in my experience, safer and better priced generally than eBay, the private sales and dealer sales right here on the forum.

Finally, for more responses when seeking advice - if available - share the reference number (or let us know you don't have it).
Edited:

Thank you all so much. When you point it out the different colors on the movement, that is quite obvious. I'll do some research to understand what you mean by the regulator position.

Otherwise, I'll stick to this forum as guided by you all. Thanks again for the help.

Should be in the center not way over to A - advance (fast) or R - retard (slow).

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.57.03 PM.png

Should be in the center not way over to A - advance (fast) or R - retard (slow).

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.57.03 PM.png

Gotcha - that makes sense. Thanks again!