Forums Latest Members
  1. mozambique May 9, 2015

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 9, 2015

MWO says these were found on the early straight lug 321 Speedmasters 2915, 2998 and 105.002 but we're also found on 1960's Seamasters. "We cannot thus certify that these crowns were originally meant for Speedmasters".

Think I'll pass.

3. mozambique May 9, 2015

Hhhhmmmm...............an arbitrary use of the Mercedes logo it would seem (funny with the likely trademark issue).

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 9, 2015

I'm guessing trademark infringement was never an issue because the Mercedes Benz silver star is encased in a circle. The Omega star in this crown has no circle. I Would think that Omega never referred to the design as a Mercedes emblem.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 10, 2015

These were called naiad crowns, the logo has to do with self sealing/waterproofness if I remember correctly.

Bumper likes this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2015

7. TNTwatch May 10, 2015

Naiad crowns were available for many models, Speedmaster, Seamaster 300, Railmaster, Constellation and so on, but there are differences in tube size, tab size as well as "tab tube" length. The early Speedmasters have special and unique "tab tube" length, so I believe if the crown has the right external dimensions and fits the speedy without modification, it is designed specifically for the watch.

8. JohnSteed May 10, 2015

9. Lapanouse Oct 8, 2016

The notion that Moon Watch Only writers have the answers to all or any of the questions re Speedmaster history simply is not accurate. The writers did nothing more than what most of us who have been in the Speedmaster world for decades have done: compare what we see and draw conclusions based on not so much evidence. If a scientist used so few samples to create empirical data then attempted to publish, he would be thrashed by his colleagues. It's a good book and resource, but it's not the final word on anything. It is dangerous to say something is certain with the pre 1970 Speedmasters, and that certainty seems less the further back one goes in time. The crown in question is original, in my opinion. I have seen it on many early Speedmasters that had not (seemingly) been serviced at all. I know many collectors ache for definitive answers regarding original parts, but the reality is Omega didn't keep records that would allow any of us to know with certainty. So many watches from the late 50s and early 60s had been serviced two or more times before anyone ever considered they might be collected and scrutinized one day that it's a fluke when one turns up that was never molested. And even then, it's impossible to know that it was truly never molested. I've seen watches claimed to be untouched one-owners but were in truth touched many times by not so honest hands. Research as best you can, use the books you can find, but keep in mind that much of what is printed is not exact, it's somewhat educated theory. The best answers may be found by buyers who arrive at their own conclusions based on their own observations. And that takes time.

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 8, 2016

"The notion that Moon Watch Only writers have the answers to all or any of the questions re Speedmaster history simply is not accurate".

Your comment is ridiculous. Perhaps a Moonwatch is not for you. Not far enough from reality.

Have you considered a Pluto Watch?
    IMG_4958.JPG

cicindela, MikiJ and oddboy like this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 8, 2016

Who would have guessed that after years of working hand in hand with the Omega Museum, corporate Omega, NASA and the largest Speedmaster collections in Europe and the US, that they would not have answers to any of the questions re Speedmaster history. :eek:
    What incompetence !:rolleyes:

12. Lapanouse Oct 8, 2016

Some answers are easy, but many of the questions have no simple answers. Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings. The book is good, but it's just a source. And Omega contributed but only what it could, which wasn't much.

13. Lapanouse Oct 8, 2016

Dry your eyes. It will be ok. I guess I'll have to unload all 3 dozen of my pre 1970 watches. Thank you for showing me the truth.

14. ulackfocus Oct 8, 2016

I'm gonna guess you've never read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

efauser, lando, MikiJ and 2 others like this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 8, 2016

Imagine that! 3 dozen pre70s watches. Let's see um

MikiJ and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 8, 2016

"And Omega contributed but only what it could, which wasn't much."
    Good to know you were in on the details. :thumbsup:

ulackfocus, MikiJ and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  17. Lapanouse Oct 8, 2016

Actually, I'll keep my watches and let the forum go. It's a bad fit.

lando, cicindela, ulackfocus and 3 others like this.
  18. Faz Oct 8, 2016

Going out with a IMG_0020.PNG

dougiedude likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 8, 2016

image.jpeg

And we get this from someone with 3 dozen speedmasters image.gif
    that has only posted one out of focus picture in 93 posts and it wasn't even a Speedmaster

MikiJ and cicindela like this.
  20. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 8, 2016

Is it only me who, every time a new outrageous Speedmaster poster comes along, mentally checks to make sure it's not April 1st and @ulackfocus is not playing games with us?

dougiedude, cicindela, Tubber and 3 others like this.