Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

Just curious about this, I've got two watches now that have clover shape crowns with the Omega symbol on them, and a three pointed start shape symbol inside the Omega symbol, which Dennis mentioned meant it was a Naiad crown. Now I remember hearing about the Naiad crown system in the past in relation to Seamaster 300s, where it was described as a flawed design whereby rather than having a screwdown mechanism, the pressure of the water increased the pressure of the crown seal such that the deeper you went, the greater the seal, however that in shallow water the pressure was insufficient to make a good seal at times and resulted in leaking.

Now that makes a bit of sense in a dive watch but give these are snapback solid gold dress watches, their water resistance at depths which would be useful to the Naiad system would be impossible due to the crystal and caseback seal. So I guess I'm just curious as to why something like that would be used on these dress watches?

Also I'm wondering, are these crowns in fact original to both watches, and what years were they used? Also are these crowns worth keeping, or would the 10 sided Constellation crown be the better and more correct choice for the Constellation?

[​IMG]
    DSC06620.JPG DSC06610.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

TWO other questions... How do you correctly pronounce:

‘glucydur’ and 'nivarox'

3. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2012

For the same reason some dive watches are depth rated to 10,000 meters: marketing.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

These watches were advertised as being "Waterproof" and this was actually engraved on the back of some of the SnapBack watches, so it is not surprising to me that Omega would include these watches in the Naiad experiment.

I have seen US advertisements from the late 1950's showing the Constellation with the clover crown. Whether this was supposed to be the Naiad, or if it was a dealer installed option, I really don't know.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

To your question as to why use these crowns for watches with likely, at best, only shallow experience. Simple it was meant to be a one type fits all design. The stem area is a major point of entry, even for minor splashes. While these were certainly not meant to be divers, they were often sold as water proof. The fact that is was ineffectual must have dawned on Omega rather quickly, but stock is money. You want to use that crap up. These were the days before the industry wised up and went to "water resistant" terminology.

Ok, that's my theory.
    Or, I like Dennis's explanation just as well, marketing.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

Hmmm... so the Seamaster probably does deserve to keep its Naiad crown, the Constellation maybe still go the 10 sided crown.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

What about the second question, anyone know how to pronounce glucydur?

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

Sure, just like it sounds :p

9. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2012

Is it glue - sea - door?

Inox likes this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 10, 2012

I prefer Gluck-why-dear ;)