Forums Latest Members

UPDATE: Dust on Speedmaster Pro dial???

1. ww2_1943 Jun 22, 2020

Hello all,

I bought my first Omega Speedmaster Professional in April compete with factory warranty.

Yesterday, I noticed a white mark above the “60” of the seconds dial. I could swear on my life it wasn’t there before. My first thought it was dust, but it’s not moving. I don’t know how dust or a mark could happen. What are your thoughts on this? Should I take it to a Omega Boutique?

8DA28278-C5A6-445A-8DCD-E2405F1A80D2.png 1E4EA964-89B1-467A-9F01-C8B2C3BB6681.png
  2. gbesq Jun 22, 2020

Hard to tell without higher resolution photos, but it looks more like a scratch on the dial. Are you sure that it’s not a scratch on the crystal?

3. Meme-Dweller Jun 22, 2020

looks like a scratch on the hesalite crystal, but I can't give you a definitive answer until you take pictures of its atoms

ww2_1943 likes this.
  4. ww2_1943 Jun 22, 2020

That was my first reaction, but I can confirm it’s not on the crystal.

Edited Jun 22, 2020
  5. Dedlock Jun 23, 2020

Send it in if its still under warranty.

6. ww2_1943 Jun 23, 2020

I was hoping my local boutique would be open by now. I’m guessing ADs don’t really want to service watches if they didn’t sell them originally.

7. Stripey Jun 23, 2020

It's not clear whether you've had it from new or not, but when I got my Apollo 8, one of the chrono hands wasn't homing properly. Took it in to the OB, and the in house watchmaker fixed it. Got to look at the watch under a loupe - all fine. Later that day, noticed dust visible to the naked eye on the dial that presumably got in during the adjustment and moved. So it had to go back and have that removed. So (a) maybe it's just dust that was always there whilst you've had it and has moved (hence my question about whether you've had the watch from new, as if not, it might well have been opened up for some reason) and (b) this was my first experience about making a fuss about something like this, and it was treated like a matter of the utmost, utmost seriousness by the OB.

On the first photo, it looks like you have another mark near the 56 second marker, not visible on the second photo, but it looks like on the crystal?

8. ww2_1943 Jun 23, 2020

The watch was bought new on April 1, 2020 and I’m technically the second owner having purchased it later that month from a reputable dealer on the forum.

The other mark was probably on the crystal when I took the photo.

The boutique closest to me is still closed because of COVID restrictions. I guess I’ll wait for it to reopen. I don’t want to ship the watch if I can avoid it.

Stripey likes this.
  9. Evitzee Jun 23, 2020

Just remember, every time you open a watch in a typical non-factory air environment you run the risk of errant dust or other flotsam entering the case, plus the risk of tiny nicks or scratches on the case or caseback by a wayward tool. I've got several chronos where one hand or the other is not perfectly centered under a loupe, I just can't be bothered to ship them off under warranty for a tweak. Just be aware of what you are exposing your watch to in a quest for visual perfection. There are risks.

e46rj, Stripey and ww2_1943 like this.
  10. ww2_1943 Jun 23, 2020

Great point! Honestly, I don’t find the dust, if that’s what it is distracting. I think my greatest worry is wondering how It got there in the first place. It definitely only appeared recently. I’ve studied this watch closely!

Stripey likes this.
  11. ww2_1943 Jun 27, 2020

It turns out is is dust! It has moved since I posted this.
    A great point was made about opening the watch up and the risk of other contaminates getting in there.

Is there risk of keeping a moving piece of dust on the dial?

12. Stripey Jun 27, 2020

Others are better placed to comment on that, but since any watchmaker should be able to get it out v. quickly and the watch is under warranty, it seems like a no brainer to me.

ww2_1943 likes this.
  13. s2000_driver Jun 28, 2020

If it is dust that is moving around, I would take it to the boutique and have them take care of it. They will likely send it the service center. If the service center finds more dust inside, they will perform a full service under warranty.

Stripey likes this.
  14. Peter_from_NL Jun 28, 2020

If you are not sure whether it is on the dial or the glass (small scratch), just put light from IPhone above it and move the light. If you see the scratch moving you know it is not on the dial itself. Sometimes very hard to see. In all other cases, go back and let Omega take care of it!

ww2_1943 likes this.
  15. ww2_1943 Jul 4, 2020

UPDATE:
    I took my watch to the Boutique today. They confirmed there was dust or something else on the dial. It is going in for a full service covered by the warranty. I feel that brining it in was the right choice. I’m also really glad I didn’t buy from a dealer that didn’t offer the original warranty!!!

Pazzo, lustrousaurus, Dedlock and 2 others like this.
  16. Stripey Jul 4, 2020

Glad it's dealt with or being dealt with.

ww2_1943 likes this.