Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. x3no Feb 15, 2015

Very minute details, thanks for explaining. Now I can see the differences, and why its going for so cheap ;)

MMMD likes this.
  2. woodwkr2 Feb 15, 2015

Welcome to the world of vintage watches, my friend. Very glad to see a rookie asking the right questions and putting in the time and expense necessary to educate himself.

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 15, 2015

By the way the naked skeleton hands are a modern phenomenon. Can't say I'm a fan.

[​IMG]

4. x3no Feb 15, 2015

Thanks, doing my best. Eventually I want to find and buy (like many others I'm sure) a few 100% original UG chrono's.. Tri-compax, uni-compax, space-compax..etc. Doing my best to gather all the info I can, while waiting for Sala.. Then once I'm equipped and know what I'm after, the wait begins :)

Agree, I love the lumed hands in the older UG chrono's like the Uni-Compax you showed me in that image. Something about them just strikes me and sings to me. :whistling:

5. woodwkr2 Feb 15, 2015

I realize I'm way out on a limb in terms of being such an originality nut, but on the vintage pieces, I respect owners that decide to leave the 'lume' hands skeletonized when the lume crumbles to dust. It sure beats minty toothpaste green relumes.

Now, skeletonized hands on a modern "re-edition" piece... that's just dumb.

gophishin and x3no like this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 15, 2015

It's actually a pretty good redial, but a redial nonetheless.

x3no likes this.
  7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 15, 2015

I am not yet secure enough in my quadrantological abilities to string together the words "good" and "re-dial," but I am working on it. For now, "not particularly bad" is the best I can do.

epl108 likes this.
  8. bmd64v46u Feb 15, 2015

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 15, 2015

10. bmd64v46u Feb 15, 2015

Exactly. His photos, rating, and penchant for purchasing watches from sellers in India has me worried.

11. Dre Feb 16, 2015

Learned something new everyday from this forum! Never really know about the pointy A on UG. Almost bid for this watch because it was going for a pretty good price but there's just something about the dial that seems odd, eventhough I still thought that the dial might be original because it looks aged (now I know it's a pretty good old re-dial). I'm getting a Sala book once I've moved to a new apartment and have my shipping address sorted, still need to learn heaps more for my future acquisitions!

x3no likes this.
  12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 17, 2015

I'm sure I have seen this before. I recognize the radium burns on the dial. I just don't remember the circumstances?
    I have little faith this will sell at a low price, but it looks nice, and appears to be a real auction without the loser-reserve you usually see.
    I'm watching, but I'm not buying. I get the uneasy feeling I saw it with a reserve before so I'm prepared for shill bidding and à reappearance down the road.
    But who knows? I have been wrong ....lemme think.... Five times before.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/221692784946Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

13. woodwkr2 Feb 18, 2015

I agree. It seems familiar... not in the last couple weeks familiar, but a bit of deja vu nonetheless.

14. Dre Feb 18, 2015

Is that a real NOS Universal Geneve with all original parts tho?

15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 18, 2015

I would not have been concerned to ask, but again I am no expert here. Is there anything about it in particular that makes you wonder?

16. jimmyjay Feb 19, 2015

17. Hijak Feb 19, 2015

I think the case looks to have the gold capping worn off in a few places and in general is just beat up, case back scratched up as well. The crown is the least concern on this one...what you are seeing on the dial is actually on the crystal, I believe. This watch has lived a hard life and there are better examples of these out there.

Darlinboy likes this.
  18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 20, 2015

The condition would turn me off, but I believe the crown to be original. I happened to have purchased a GC Polerouter recently, and did some research into crowns. I have found many examples of unsigned crowns of that style, and am confident that they were used (though not exclusively).

19. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 24, 2015

$633. Is that market? Seem high? No calendar, just automatic. Is it b/c of condition? And does someone have a magical radium burn removal recipe?
    Congrats if the winner was one of the OF family.

20. x3no Feb 25, 2015