Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. redpcar Jan 16, 2015

.......and a reserve price. Pass.

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 16, 2015

For the record, "they" is Kaytimmz, the person who posted the listing in this thread.

Agree about the heavyhanded polish. The contrast with the unpolished bezel shows what has been lost.

Edited Jan 16, 2015
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 16, 2015

4. x3no Jan 19, 2015

Hey guys, new here and plan to participate quite a bit after seeing some of these discussions. Trying to get into vintage watches and looking eagerly for my first purchase. I really love the look of the UG Tri Compax and Moonphase watches from the 1940s-1960s. Having a hard time finding information about the watches though, but it looks like you all have a great working knowledge.

What do you guys think of this watch listed here and its originality? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dre...452329483?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35e3a2460bPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And this one? (To me this one looks non-original or something is up, just looks sloppy to me compared to some other versions I've seen of the watch) http://www.ebay.com/itm/universal-g...792930014?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3aa00734dePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I've see many different subtle variations of this watch so just trying gather more info here, would love to hear what you guys have to say!

Thanks,
    Brandon

Edited Jan 19, 2015
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2015

Hi Brandon, welcome. That does look completely original. It is 14K, not 18K as the seller says, and the most critical thing for a new guy is the 34mm case size. If you are not already into vintage, that will strike you as very small. Most modern watches are around 40mm and up. Also, these Tri-Compaxes can be expensive to service, and the seller (zero feedback - be very careful!)is not terribly forthcoming about what "working" means. Chronograph? Moonphase? Month/Day/date?

May not be a bad pick, but as you see there are several caveats.

NT931 and Waynepjr like this.
  6. x3no Jan 19, 2015

Good points made. I was worried when I saw 0 feedback, yea. Thanks for the quick response! I also forgot to add another ebay listing I saw, I modified my post. Any thoughts on that one?

7. Waynepjr Jan 19, 2015

You have no movement pics but an inside view of the case back.... That would make me ask for detailed, focused and clear images of the movement. Are you hiding something??? As the Great LouS pointed out, these dudes are not cheap to work on even for a "simple" clean and lube job. Be aware!! But as said, the price of admission if a deal is made could be a bargain.

Welcome!!!
    Wayne

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2015

Can't decide if that one is a redial or not, but beware, that's a very small watch too - I'd venture 33mm

9. x3no Jan 19, 2015

True, I see "JUE". What month does that represent (assuming its a month representation?). Or is this not an english version of the watch?

10. Waynepjr Jan 19, 2015

Very much looks like a factory replacement at the very least but still not bad..... I am also known for poor eyes too.
    LOL!!!

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2015

It's Spanish. Jueves = Thursday

Waynepjr likes this.
  12. x3no Jan 19, 2015

Ahhhh thanks, that explains it!

13. 10H10 Jan 24, 2015

I don't want to be unpleasant but, very very few Tri-Compaxes where indeed made for the Brasilian army (I saw one once, beautiful dial very loaded and extremely rare, hadn't the knowledge and the wizdom at that time to buy it !!!),and as an ex-military man, I know that to be aware if the moon is out or not makes all the difference in an operation...
    These very scarce Tri-Compaxes where made with a very special dial (not in the uncomprehensive Scala archives) : 3 scales instead of the 2 common "civilian" ones :
    . Tachymetryc scale (civilian).
    . Seconds scale (civilian).
    . Telemetric scale (military).
    The dial was Universal "silver" colour and of course not black and fuzzy, like the franken we are talking about.
    Besides, the back cover was engraved F.A.B. (Força Aeria Brasileira).
    Cheers.

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 24, 2015

That's not unpleasant, that's fascinating information. I was being facetious. Of course the moon phase matters. So does the day and date. Just doesn't seem like the usual utilitarian, low-maintenance sort of thing most militaries go for. But the Brazilians have always had that something extra.

Surely there's a photo somewhere? It would be a terrific thing to see.

15. rmo Jan 24, 2015

Hi Fellas,

This one has been kicking around eBay for a bit. I'm having trouble determining if it's a redial -- what do ya'll think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321599670374Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

16. 10H10 Jan 25, 2015

Hi,

My opinion is that the dial is ok but doesn't match the manufacturing date (too recent), the case design with the ref. makes me wonder, something bugs me, anyone elses toughts ?

17. 10H10 Jan 25, 2015

The mix telemeter/tachymeter is peculiar though...

18. 10H10 Jan 25, 2015

19. Benalder Jan 31, 2015

Any thoughts on this pole router sub which appears to be on sale twice ! The face appears genuine (from Lous article it has lume dots , fat numbers and space between the e and v of geneve)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191492921304Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231466630027Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

20. papaebetu Jan 31, 2015

Fake case

GIGI