Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Diabolik Oct 5, 2014

2. Waynepjr Oct 5, 2014

Very much correct except for that one pusher. That one pusher might take a forever to find if you don't have one already or a donor watch at the ready. They seem impossible to locate.

Wayne

3. woodwkr2 Oct 5, 2014

Indeed. Prepare to purchase a parts watch; it's not just the pusher cap but also the post that is bad (and possibly on the second pusher as well). In four years I haven't found these type of pushers for sale anywhere. It can be a very expensive proposition.

There was a nice UG Compax a few months ago that had the same issue and was discussed on the forums. It was eventually returned to the seller and re-listed on eBay, likely after the buyer got cold feet and realized what he was in for with the repairs.

Waynepjr likes this.
  4. Waynepjr Oct 5, 2014

Fine looking watch but for the pushers. There again, not the first time a fine example with pusher issues. This one I might not mind taking the gamble on personally as you don't see the GP Aero variant often at all. If your collecting and not in the flipping mindset, this could be a real treasure if patient, worth more when correct too. A win/win in the long run.

5. gibson45 Oct 5, 2014

6. Waynepjr Oct 5, 2014

Seller states crown and stem issue. Knowing this seller, I would beat the watch does not operate at all. Just looking at the pushers this dude is going in for an overhaul. Looks ok cosmetically but be prepared for a nice watchmaker bill for sure unless your connected. A dial cleaning by a competent person might do wonders for this guy. Should not go high, it is a Uni after all.

7. Diabolik Oct 6, 2014

Well, i bagged it !

In for a penny in for a pound. Sold an autavia to fund it but I seem to be growing a definite affinity to UG's and variants. I find them so much more interesting! The post and internal pusher should not be an issue. I shall take a a good look, measure up and turn one out or modify and existing one a lathe. As far as the external pusher goes, I suppose it is going to be a challenge finding it ... but life is full of challanges !

Can wait to wear this on my bird !

cloub hoping.jpg
  8. woodwkr2 Oct 6, 2014

You'll need a gear cutting wheel/jig to cut the outside edge of the post. These screw in with special drivers that Bergeon or Horotec make.

Gear cutting jigs run about $800 usd on the bay for a used one; new ones cost many thousands of dollars.

Can't wait to see your handiwork, but turning the separate components of a waterproof pusher isn't quite as easy as it would seem.

And the profile of these pushers makes them incompatible with the modern replacements that cousins and other material houses carry, so I'm afraid you probably won't be able to modify an off the shelf part.

9. Diabolik Oct 6, 2014

gear cutting is not as straight forward as it seems. however, i have done it on a bigger scale and have most dividing plates as well as jig. the waterproof part may be difficult. It is a pop back case though and vintages are rarely sold for their waterproof qualities.

One other possibility (if it has the original and it is serviceable) is to build it up with silver and then re-machine it.

anything is possible. Just takes time and a lot of patience, two things I have little of. I shall post progress notes and updates as well as images if it is of interest !

blackwatch likes this.
  10. woodwkr2 Oct 6, 2014

Looking forward to seeing the pics, Diabolik! Make your own thread and keep us updated. If you figure out how to manufacture the very unusual profile of these pushers, from stainless steel rod... Well then I'll be the first in line to request that you turn me a set or two. I've got some nice examples that are complete except for pushers.

11. Waynepjr Oct 6, 2014

Awesome! I think it will be just a fantastic addition to an aviators collection. If I were able, I would had gone for it myself.

Wayne

12. GeraldLui Oct 6, 2014

of course re-stamped, but if You look at the U and Universal Geneve print/Stamp on the lower side of the clasp this is just a big difference to the Made in U.S.A stamp - Quality.
    But i thought JB Champion was the Supplier for US - UG bracelets.
    Gerald

13. Diabolik Oct 6, 2014

I have had another look and IMHO, it does not look right ! The emblem on bracelet seems like early 60's, the tag is 70's and the front of clasp, well I dont know as I have never seen the UG emblem like that in a square cartuce. It does not looks like quality! The links do not seem right somehow. I could be wrong and only have limited knowledge ...

14. ELV web Oct 7, 2014

If you are planning on making some extra spares for the greater good of the UG community, please please let us know (bu PM me first :p. I still recall your handiwork on space compax as presented by Lou :)

15. Diabolik Oct 7, 2014

As always, i am happy to help out where i can and would not expect any more that a ::beer:: of real ale !

ELV web and Waynepjr like this.
  16. primabaleron Oct 9, 2014

17. Waynepjr Oct 9, 2014

18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 9, 2014

Can't believe there are people actually bidding on his watches.

19. Waynepjr Oct 9, 2014

I see this happen and I just cringe. P.T. Barmum was right, a sucker born every day. :whipped:

20. primabaleron Oct 9, 2014