Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2013

Hell, even a plain white shirt is always going to look better on her than any of us :p

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 22, 2013

Thanks for the feedback gents. It looks like dial corrosion so it knocks the value equation about a bit. :(
    I wonder if a cheeky offer might bear fruit :rolleyes:

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 22, 2013

Totally agree.........;). I would say she is truly NOS vintage with sharp edges.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2013

5. Hijak Sep 27, 2013

From out on Long Island...

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 27, 2013

The dial's a bit shiny and over-inked, methinks.

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 29, 2013

8. AComplicatedLife Sep 29, 2013

When I first saw this ad this morning the price was ~$300. Figured it wouldn't be there long. A 40mm cal.287... *drool*... It's gotta be a redial though. I did send a message to the seller and he said that as far as he knows, the watch is all original. Take that for what its worth. In my very limited experience browsing tri-compaxes it is also the first one I have seen with "blued steel" hands. Maybe one of the all-knowing Tri-Compax guru's can chime in.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately for you) I recently blew my entire watch budget (and a bit more!) on something else. I would be interested in what the others have to add.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 29, 2013

I'd lean towards it being an original dial. Look at the condition of the case and movement, and ask yourself why a redial would have been necessary given the lack of wear and/or corrosion.

10. woodwkr2 Sep 29, 2013

REDIAL. But a D*mn good one. The give away: "Swiss Made" stamped at the bottom. The originals only say "SWISS". The font for Universal Geneve looks a little off too.

By the way, the blued steel hands are real.

AComplicatedLife likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Sep 29, 2013

It was probably redone by International Dial. They do bang-up jobs with UG.

12. woodwkr2 Sep 29, 2013

One final observation: the case size is not 40mm. It's likely 37-38mm, as are every UG with cal 287. Add in the crown and you got a more desirable (in some circles) 40mm watch.

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 29, 2013

While I agree that the vast majority read "SWISS", it is very dangerous to assume that there weren't exceptions. I also agree that the font looks a touch different than usual, but again, it would be a mistake to assume that UG invariably sourced their dials from the same vendor.

You may well be correct about this one, but to emphasize my points, juxtapose the one pictured below with the one in question. What I see is an original dial, with the slightly finer fonts to which you are referring. But notice that the day and month fonts are also finer than the ones seen on the questionable one. What does that mean? Were the day and month wheels on the latter also redone by a re-dialer? I doubt that very much.

Also, note that the one in question was originally sold in a foreign market.

What this suggests to me is the possibility that a different manufacturer was used, and that it is original.

[​IMG]

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 29, 2013

Having argued one side long enough, I will say that the biggest concern (or "tell") may well be the space between the outer chapter and the inside edge of the case.

15. woodwkr2 Sep 29, 2013

Tony,
    I'm having a hard time seeing the SWISS or Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial that you present. Maybe I need to get my vision checked.

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 29, 2013

The SWISS is there.

17. woodwkr2 Sep 29, 2013

Also, there are (tiny) serifs on the U in Universal in the watch you present. Those are absent in the ebay auction in question. The dial you present is original.

I dunno where UG sourced their dials, and certainly they changed over the years along with the various Universal logo changes. But to make a generalization, the square pusher-ered Tri-Compaxes are all pretty consistent, in stark contrast to some of the later period UG where they seemed to have been grabbing at any part in the bin to assemble watches. I only need to refer to the UG polerouter diver and the many variations (some sloppier than others) to make my point.

18. woodwkr2 Sep 29, 2013

Right.
    But NOT "Swiss Made"

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 29, 2013

No, I wasn't presenting it as such.

Also, do you believe that the sub-dials on the one in question were re-done?

20. woodwkr2 Sep 29, 2013

Doubt it. But I'd want to have the watch in hand to cycle through the wheels. Sure, the subdials (including moonphase) can be redone, but even in the cases of a re-stamped dial, that tends to be the exception rather than the rule.