Universal Geneve Tri-Compax H.P.C

Posts
12
Likes
0
Hi all,

discovered this watch, will get it into my hands in a couple of days.
Only then I can check out the movement.

Can’t find a similar dial with H.P.C. marking.

Any input regarding the originality or rarity would be appreciated.

Based on I know so far it’s hard to judge the value.

Thank you.
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
Caseback shot?
 
Posts
12
Likes
0
Caseback shot?[/
Caseback shot?

I can only get into my hands again in a couple of days. Then it’s also decision time.
Attached picture of a case back is not the actual watch, but it did look like this.

Thank you
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
I can only get into my hands again in a couple of days. Then it’s also decision time.
Attached picture of a case back is not the actual watch, but it did look like this.

Thank you

I don't think that the OP watch is a 22297.
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
Just checked in after we corresponded. My concerns stand. I do not think this is legit. Hopefully you can stop the sale.
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
Case should have small pushers and the correctors should not protrude. This should not have a moon with a face. Total Franken.
 
Posts
228
Likes
297
UNIVERSAL GENEVE, REF. 22297/3

others @

https://www.google.com/search?q=uni...iw=1707&bih=804&dpr=1.13#imgrc=eRkC-Sou4NuwFM 163757.jpg
 
Posts
12
Likes
0

Thank you.

I have seen many using google and did read other posts here.
Just couldn’t find the same dial, HPC, steel anywhere.

Got the input above, much appreciated.
Won’t pay a cent for it but still taking another look and more pictures.
 
Posts
228
Likes
297
Welcome-

Not crazy about the dial (dates seem a bit too big) and telephone markers seem short to me but I'd be hard pressed to say it's absolutely a reprint.

Price is always a consideration; for a great price would it be wise to throw away an otherwise solid watch because of the wrong moon dial or even a reprinted dial for a steal? Parts are still around but sourcing is usually a question of diligence.
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
Welcome-

Not crazy about the dial (dates seem a bit too big) and telephone markers seem short to me but I'd be hard pressed to say it's absolutely a reprint.

Price is always a consideration; for a great price would it be wise to throw away an otherwise solid watch because of the wrong moon dial or even a reprinted dial for a steal? Parts are still around but sourcing is usually a question of diligence.
Absolutely has parts value…Dial, (original) Moon Disc and hopefully movement.
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,481
I've seen several date configurations, you can see the types in the above thread that I linked, and also in some of the examples in this thread, but anyhow you have 1) all big dates (where some of the printing runs off the edge of the moonphase opening) and then 2) all small (like in the above example from google, and then you also have 3) half big half small

I don't see problems with the dial myself, not sure what to say about the rest of the watch without seeing the case reference, etc.

the upper date hand should be red, so that's wrong, moonphase disc looks replaced, and the lower hour totalizer hand looks suspect also?

anyhow i wouldn't give up on the watch without more research
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
This is not a 22297 case. Not sure what it is.
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,481
The case back pics are google examples, there is only the one photo of OP watch so far
 
Posts
228
Likes
297
I think the OP said his photo wasn't of the actual watch....

"Attached picture of a case back is not the actual watch, but it did look like this."
 
Posts
12
Likes
0
I think the OP said his photo wasn't of the actual watch....

"Attached picture of a case back is not the actual watch, but it did look like this."

more pictures of the actual watch…