Forums Latest Members

Uncle's Old Longines Watch

1. Erreenne Dec 14, 2022

Hi, i'm the owner of this watch. It was my sicilian uncle's one, he passed away in the '80, in Italy. I cant' found any info about it online. It's perfectly working. On the back there's no codes. The main dial is about 37 mm wide (1,45 inches).
    Can you help me to ricognize the model? I'm not an expert at all! How much can it be worth?
    Thank you!
    Bye
    Andrea

IMG_20221213_122102.jpg IMG_20221213_122102b.jpg IMG_20221213_122123.jpg
    0uss, Andsan, Syrte and 5 others like this.
  2. Dan S Dec 14, 2022

Looks like a lovely authentic Longines, probably from the 40s, the 37mm diameter is very wearable and desirable. The dial appears to have some damage, which would hurt the value to a collector, but I still think the watch is attractive and it's sentimental value as an heirloom is obviously paramount.

We could make some guesses about the specific reference and movement caliber, but if you have the back opened and post photos of the movement and the inside of the case-back, we will be able to give more specific information. Also, with photos of the inside, you can request detailed historical information from the Longines Archives, which they provide free of charge.

Syrte, Erreenne, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 14, 2022

For all who missed Andrea's original thread on this watch, see it here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/uncles-old-longines-watch.153566/#post-2093420

To reiterate, this is an uncommon and desirable watch. Along with the large size, this watch likely uses a caliber 15.26. Longines watches with this large (34 mm) movement are relatively uncommon, barring reference 3582. The design of the case, with its flat bezel, is also desirable. Though the condition is not perfect, the dial, hands, crown, and even crystal all seem to be correct. Another point is that the watch is quite similar to the so-called "Serbian". More information here: http://watchexpertise.com/oldlonginespassion/Longines_Passion/the_serbian.html and https://revolutionwatch.com/the-longines-serbian-serbo/

It is difficult to estimate the value of such a watch given the variation in condition and limited pool of comparable examples. Still, given that similarly-sized Longines with the caliber 12.68Z are selling for thousands of EUR/USD, I think that this watch could be worth around 5000 EUR/USD. If it was in perfect condition, maybe around 10,000 EUR/USD.

As @Dan S mentioned, Longines should be able to provide information such as the exact date of the original invoice, the country that it was originally invoiced to, the reference number, order number, case material, and caliber. This is all on the "Extract from the Archives", which is free. See here: https://www.longines.com/en-ca/certificate-of-authenticity

JohnLy, Erreenne, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  4. Erreenne Dec 15, 2022

Thank you all. As soon as possible, I'll bring the watch to a watchmaker to check it and take pictures of the inside parts, I don't trust myself to do it. ;-)

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  5. Erreenne Dec 15, 2022

Wow, the font of numbers are really very similar!

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  6. JohnLy Dec 15, 2022

Your spot on to compare it to the Serbian, with the exception of the dial color, the font and layout seem identical. The case also is of the same size and construction. Beautiful watch...congrats.
    Here's a picture of my Serbian as a comparison. IMG_4414 (1).jpg

0uss, Syrte, DirtyDozen12 and 3 others like this.
  7. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Dec 15, 2022

Sub dial distinct.
    Here’s another variation, sold in Japan.

80FC51BC-D208-4561-85AA-49EB0F02880F.jpeg

0uss, jbtb077, Dan S and 4 others like this.