Forums Latest Members

Mystery Longines Watch -- Help Please

1. Wendyb Sep 16, 2019

Hello! My Uncle recently passed away and left me his watch. I've attached photos of the watch and the note we found inside the box. Can anyone help me understand when it was made? Any other information about the watch would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

IMG_1581.jpg IMG_1582.jpg IMG_1583.jpg
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 16, 2019

The supposed serial number, and design of the watch, date it to circa 1960. The 14k gold case is American-made, which is expected. The dial looks to have been refinished.

The caliber 23Z is a high-quality movement that was found in many US-bound Longins from this period. The asymmetrical case is neat too. If you contact Longines, they should be able to provide you with the exact date of original invoice.

S.H., Syrte, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 16, 2019

Hi @Wendyb, welcome to the forum. Presumably the serial number of the movement is the long one noted « 11173570 »on that blue sticky.
    To confirm it is accurate you should bring the watch to a professional watchmaker (not a jeweler) to open it. You should write down the serial, take pictures of the movement and the engravings inside the case back.

The serial number on the movement is the number you need to send Longines with photos in order to get an exact date for your watch.
    Best regards