Forums Latest Members

Ultraman flipping by employee at Omega AD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queriver Sep 13, 2018

Where's Ultraman??? Calling Ultraman, ... wrestle this monster of a thread to the ground. :mad::mad::mad:

Some people here need to wind back the outrage - the AD staffer looks like a young kid, probably working part time while studying. His unwise action would have been pointed out to him and he almost certainly won't do something like this again.

BTW: Bergen is in a great part of the world, would love to get there again.

gostang9 likes this.
  2. Civic4982 Sep 13, 2018

I wonder if this same thing is allowed at Rolex? Similar outrage would be had over sport models.

This seems like something unethical. To use your access at work where you’re supposed to be selling watches to customers but instead buying them for yourself to profit more off of said customers for an even higher personal gain.

Boooooo.

3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 13, 2018

the whole point is, it seems like he didn't leverage his access at work to do this as there was probably no loophole in the ordering chain... but everyone thinks he did.

wait... unless he got one from someone who didn't take delivery last minute as the watch was sitting physically at the AD as initially ordered (but not picked)? In which case it sucks big time for those on the official waiting list...

Anyway - this for sure is the kid's Andy Warhol moment :D

Foo2rama and efauser like this.
  4. Civic4982 Sep 13, 2018

If he didn’t use his leverage at work and he got it on the street then it would be awfully surprising. I don’t remember many students flopping down $9k or an equivalent large sum of money on a watch when I in university. But who knows, I also didn’t know any students that had a neat job like at a brand name watch boutique.

Either way though, on issues like this, perception is reality.

For me, if he didn’t buy it via access at work or access to customers at work then I’d think it’s alright.

efauser, sxl2004 and Lonestar like this.
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 13, 2018

exactly...

Civic4982 likes this.
  6. gostang9 Sep 13, 2018

Or...
    - he’s a clever guy who likes watches (like many I us)
    - managed to get himself a job working with watches and selling them (wouldn’t some of us be jealous?)
    - he follows watch releases with interest (like we do, and how often don’t people complain that the person at the AD didn’t have a clue about particular watches... this guy likely knows a lot and would be quite helpful at an AD)
    - he put in the effort and successfully got on the reservation list for this LE (that many other intelligent and highly educated people failed to do)
    - he received his watch and saw others successfully selling on for a huge profit and so he decided to try himself (whether you like this practice or not, he’s certainly not the only one... and what he did isn’t illegal)

The only blunder on his part was taking photos at work and using them to sell the watch. He also somehow allowed his personal information be connected between his selling of the watch and his employment at an AD. These were poor decisions by him, but who of us didn’t make some poor choices when we were his age...?

I would assume he could become quite a success in life, as he seems to be rather entrepreneurial and willing to take risks. There was and is no guarantee he will profit off the watch. I have one arriving next week and I have no assurance from anyone that I “could” sell at a profit even if I wanted to (which I don’t).

khmt2, many and Foo2rama like this.
  7. gostang9 Sep 13, 2018

This would be the only situation under which I could see any real problem with what he did. However, when my local AD called me they made it clear the arrangements were all through Omega and they were simply the intermediary to get the watch to me. They also said I’d need photo ID as they have to prove my receipt of the watch to Omega. It sounds like Omega is aware of potential issues and doing what they can to control it.

Mr Gadget and Foo2rama like this.
  8. kov Trüffelschwein. Sep 13, 2018

[​IMG]

Didn't know we've got so many Profilers with a serious watch problem among us here ! :eek:

shishy, eugeneandresson and efauser like this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

Then make damn sure you get tickets when they go on sale like the majority of buyers do.

10. many Sep 13, 2018

Yeah, ST1s have lost about 1K on the market in the last 30 days. I almost bought one for 7.6K a month ago and at the time it was a pretty good deal. Now that's about the average price.

This is a small sample size but Tourneau staff are not allowed to buy BLNRs. I wouldn't be surprised if they can't buy BLROs or Daytonas either.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2018

You do realize that it's often impossible to get tickets. The bots that the large buyers use buy up the tickets in seconds (or fractions of) leaving very little chance for the average fan to get a ticket...

Foo2rama and adi4 like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

I must be special. I rarely have issues getting tickets to the shows I want to attend. I just got tickets to Donny and Marie and I'm front row, center.

Nathan1967, Foo2rama and Archer like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2018

I'm not surprised...

By the way often the venue or team is involved in the reselling schemes. Some sports teams in Toronto (and I'm sure this happens in other places) have been found to be selling tickets directly to the resellers, and getting a cut of the profits from the reseller in return.

pascs and efauser like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 13, 2018

It's not like the guy finagled his way up an organ transplant list. Nobody needs an Ultraman, but sufficient people at present seem to want one, hence they resell over MRSP at the moment. I don't see anything immoral in this, but then again, I don't have much interest in this particular watch.

Rman, kov and efauser like this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

Seriously, there's nothing stopping them from going to the box office when they go on sale.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2018

Not sure you are aware of the scope of the problem...for example in last year's hockey playoffs, Maple Leaf tickets were very difficult to get.

There are 18,201 seats available for each game. Of those, only 96 were released to the box office for sale to the general public. The rest were either held by season ticket holders, or bought up by the bots.

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

Unfortunately, life isnt always fair.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2018

I understand that mate...but saying "there's nothing stopping them from going to the box office when they go on sale" as the mic drop solution is just complete nonsense....

Say hello to Marie for me...

19. lillatroll Sep 13, 2018

I
    I studied at the same university as the flipper. When I studied in Norway I got my student loan in two instalments around 8k a semester. His part time job would pay around 15 USD an hour and it is his home town so probably not paying any rent during the summer. It would be easy to save up the money and hope to sell it quickly at a profit, at the very least he is likely to make his money back so a no/low risk venture.

20. Mr Blond Sep 13, 2018

It’s morally wrong, some people want these watches but can’t buy them unless they pay well over the odds. Some people have bought these just to try and get a quick profit, depriving watch collectors who would happily keep the watch, wear it and never sell it.

Robert-Jan and GregH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.