Forums Latest Members

Ultraman flipping by employee at Omega AD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

I’m not saying I agree with it but it’s apparently a return to the days of having to prove that you’re worthy of buying an Omega. The last time I bought a watch at full blown retail at an AD was Tourneau NYC in 1998 so I’m sure I can kiss that LE Omega goodbye

2. Dan S Sep 12, 2018

Bingo. +1 :thumbsup:

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 12, 2018

Why would he take the pics at work and use those in the listing? No problem if he wants to flip, but common sense... Just saying.

4. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

The answer to that is: let’s wait a year or two and see what happens. Maybe the ADs I’ve spoken to are wrong and you’re right. Time will tell. Like I said earlier; it doesn’t really matter to me since I do not buy modern watches from dealers.

5. Ninja2789 Sep 12, 2018

Man. This is just comical. I get why people are angry. There was large demand for this LE and now everyone is pissed that all these flippers are making money off of us “true” collectors who would never sell a watch for profit.

But seriously, if it makes you feel any better history is showing that prices for the “hot” LEs the past year have steadily declined within a year. Examples:

The 60th speedy is now below retail ($6.5)
    The STI has recovered a bit, ($7.5-7.7) but is much lower vs it’s high of $9k.

Even the Ultraman prices have fallen below $9k and we are still early in the allocations.

So while the optics look terrible, why don’t we relax with the threat of violence and just let Omega decide how they want to deal with it.

many and Nathan1967 like this.
  6. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

MAGA

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. Toishome Sep 12, 2018

What a dumb ass ::facepalm2::

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2018

I read the title alot different to all the rest of you guys.

So he had! pants on.........:cautious:

9. pascs Sep 12, 2018

I dont get the anger towards someone who has bought a watch with the intention of selling it later for a higher price. Isnt this what thousands of people do every week at actions, ebay, car boot sales etc? Ok so he was lucky enough to snag an LE but everyone had the same chances, I regret no taking my chances to buy one but I certainty dont have any anger towards someone who decides to sell theirs at a profit, I just wouldnt buy it at that price.

Mouse_at_Large, efauser and Foo2rama like this.
  10. texasmade Sep 12, 2018

It’s not the fact that he’s reselling a watch for a profit. It’s the fact that he’s reselling a very popular LE Omega when he works at an Omega AD. The optics look terrible and makes it look liked he gamed the system (even though he didn’t).

Similar situation would be when I was an auditor for a big 4 public accounting firm. We had to be independent in fact and appearance from our audit clients. Lars may be acting independently in fact but appearance looks awful since he works for an Omega AD.

Civic4982 likes this.
  11. lillatroll Sep 13, 2018

He will not be losing his job. It is extremely difficult to fire someone in Norway. He might get a written warning at most but probably nothing will happen.

12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

I'm still trying to figure out how his gains are ill gotten.

Vercingetorix likes this.
  13. vicakers Sep 13, 2018

Its clear from the reaction that there is a very fine line! This reminds me a bit of ticket touting - those who buy tickets to events they have no intention of attending just to make a profit arguably depriving legitimate fans from attending. I personally disagree with this behaviour but the system allows us to do it. What would be worse is an employee of one of the main ticket sellers gaining an unfair advantage and buying tickets to immediately sell. That would feel wrong...

14. vicakers Sep 13, 2018

Also Lars appears to have studied Economics so he's just putting what he learnt into practice!

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

No one is depriving "legitimate fans" from attending. People use StubHub, eBay, etc., everyday to buy tickets at inflated costs. There's no difference.

Foo2rama, kov and gostang9 like this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Sep 13, 2018

I’d guess that would depend on what his contract stipulates?

Omega (in the UK) have fired people over profiteering from LEs.

17. vicakers Sep 13, 2018

They are if you can't afford the inflated costs.

18. Fatcat Sep 13, 2018

For me those LE done , by The Fratellos ( that I respect) , hondikee , maybe others in a future are just here to remember old vintage models at a decent price but the appeal of that watches for me have just the face value nothing else they don’t have the collector grade for me ( rarity) , like the Rolex any monkey with cash can buy it and show it after , is more or less a game of showing wealth .

19. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 13, 2018

As much as I hate to admit... this is correct.

(still deserves to be fired though, not because of the flipping, but because the kid is dumb enough to have exposed his employer in all this...)

Edited Sep 13, 2018
  20. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 13, 2018

This is the part that gets me, pretty stupid thing to do taking the pics so clearly at your workplace of an Omega AD. I would think if nothing else there could be issues from employers for taking private selling pics at your place of work presumably during work hours.

Aside from this I don't really see the difference to anyone else, he bought privately at full retail so it's his to do with a he pleases I would say. Is not as if he's used his position to circumvent waiting lists of something .

Foo2rama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.