Forums Latest Members

Ultraman flipping by employee at Omega AD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

Interesting discussion on the Norwegian FB forum Klokkeriet this evening after an employee at Urmaker Gjertsen in Bergen (Omega AD) tried to flip his Ultraman for $4k above retail with photos taken at work. The employee apparently saw no moral or ethical issue with doing it. Doesn’t seem to square with Omega’s new customer profiling policy or the brand’s attempts to limit resale of their watches. The AD employee saw no issue even after several people criticized him for it.

AC6AB28E-DE3E-40BB-8A16-7CC1B182EDCC.jpeg
    Edited Sep 12, 2018
  2. tyrantlizardrex Sep 12, 2018

The question, as always is "Is that $4k profit worth losing your job over?".

::facepalm1::

3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

someone in Norway should beat his ass

Edited Sep 12, 2018
    Ssunnylee24 and Mad Dog like this.
  4. arcadelt Sep 12, 2018

Why? Apart from the stupidity of taking pictures at work, what’s the problem?

Tet, eugeneandresson, pascs and 2 others like this.
  5. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

That’s the issue up for debate. Do you get in between Omega and the Omega collector that will end up owning it at a profit of $4k when you’re being paid to sell Omega watches to people at work and represent the brand to its customers?

6. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

Just my opinion, but there is a noticeable distaste for AD's selling to grey market dealers on OF. Here we have a little douche buying a watch at place of employment to sell at a rather large profit. Just looking at his face is enough to warrant a beating.

7. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

The watch wasn’t retailed by Gjertsen. They are ordered directly from Omega and delivered to an AD. His point of delivery was his work.

arcadelt and Foo2rama like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 12, 2018

Guarantee someone will forward this to the boys in Beinne.

Mtnmansa and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

Just so I understand here, my Norwegian is a little rusty.

My little friend Lars

-works at a Omega boutique
    -bought the watch from the boutique
    -immediately sold the watch to some watch enthusiast for $4,000 above retail

10. jmazpiazu Sep 12, 2018

Dumb move.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  11. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

Works at an AD that sells Omega among other brands. Ordered the watch from Omega and had it delivered to the AD where he works. Is trying to sell the watch at $4k above what he paid. The image on the left is his FS post on Klokkeriet

Lonestar likes this.
  12. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

If you or I could order a watch from Omega and have it shipped to our house I would say no harm no foul.
    Definitely is not right in my book. But my book could different than some.

connieseamaster likes this.
  13. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

I’m pretty sure they have to go Omega —> AD —> customer. I may have caught a tiny glimpse of one of these at a local AD here in the US last week :)

Skrv likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Sep 12, 2018

He will have paid full retail unless his employer is paying silly buggers.

Omega don’t allow their own retail staff to buy LE models at discount. And have been known to let go employees that profit from this sort of thing. I can think of two in London... who quietly disappeared.

kov likes this.
  15. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

His argument in the discussion was that he bought the watch privately and what he does on his own time is his own business. His boss was aware that he was flipping it. The question is if you should be held to a higher standard because you work for an AD and you know, or should know, that the brand is trying to curb resale. If he was flipping a Rolex GMT for 2x retail there wouldn’t be an issue in my book (assuming the AD didn’t carry Rolex)

16. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

Was going to mention that. At Rolex website they list the wonderful Rolex Pepsi GMT for what $9750 or so. Of course you can’t find one at a Rolex dealer. But we have Jomashop or Bobwatches with new unworn GMT for $20,000. So I guess this isn’t any difference. Rolex sold to these guys rather than the general public.
    So I forgive Lars, but he should be beat just for the way he looks on his Facebook or whatever page.
    Wait, Omega Authorized Dealer........I guess I retract my forgiveness. If your an Omega Authorized Dealer this crapolla should not fly. Omega should revoke the Authorized Dealerism from this shop.

Edited Sep 12, 2018
    marco likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 12, 2018

There should be no more hate for him then any other flipper. He did the website just like us, he just happens to work at an AD.

Caliber561, Rodmar, Syrte and 11 others like this.
  18. TinyClown Sep 12, 2018

In my view just because you can do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do it. I also think it makes a huge difference that he works for an Omega AD. He indirectly represents Omega vis-a-vis the company’s customers all day long and you can’t do things in private that directly counteracts what the company is trying to do, even less so at a considerable profit. I don’t think that would fly at a US based AD and I doubt his boss at a US AD would green light something like this if asked about it.

siguzzi likes this.
  19. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 12, 2018

This whole thread is ridiculous. Employee makes 100% on invesment. Dealers make 200% on every item they sell. Not sure where the angst is. If you don’t like the rules, shove off.

Edited Sep 12, 2018
    Rodmar, pascs, gostang9 and 1 other person like this.
  20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 12, 2018

Lars probably won’t pay any taxes and overhead for his ill gotten gain. Ain’t the same.

ebrohman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.