Ultimate dive watch - help me decide

First I would say Ploprof looks oudated and it's design language, details and finish is not modern anymore. I would go for one with the latest tech, materials and movement.

Her are my suggestions:

1. Definitely the one I would go for...and get one of the best ever in-house movement by Omega, Cal 8912 combined with O-Megasteel which is stronger, more scratch resistant and shinier like white gold.
Note that the orange version is the only UD with a unique lumen in the bezel. With this watch you will have something very few owns.

2. This is the purely classic and safe choice

3. Lightweight, cheaper and most comfortable and comes with a great movement Cal 8900 inside titanium grade 5 case. This is the most wearable PO ever with it's latest redigned case and bracelet.

If number 3's 43.5mm is not sufficiently chunky then the chrono titan should be: 45.5mm and 18.9mm thickness (vs 18.1mm in UD). It is still very light with its only 170 gram vs 252 gram for UD with bracelet....and still cheaper than UD.
Edited:

Awan, interesting point about scarcity of the orange bezel UD. The UD is not limited as far as I know, so anyone who wants one should be able to get one? Although here in the UK I have not seen a single Ultra Deep of any configuration in any Omega Boutique or AD. Are they coming or will they remain ‘order only’?

Awan, interesting point about scarcity of the orange bezel UD. The UD is not limited as far as I know, so anyone who wants one should be able to get one? Although here in the UK I have not seen a single Ultra Deep of any configuration in any Omega Boutique or AD. Are they coming or will they remain ‘order only’?

I did not mean the UD is limited but most AD's or OB's are just a bit cautious taking into their shops models which could end up with a lengthy stay in their display and windows. Therefore they would typically take those color variations which would sell immediately and here I think the titan edition and black bezel SS are what most buyers would go after. Actually I just meant that the orange version is the less asked for version, thus the more rare UD you will find around. That attracts me, having a watch you won't find at every corner. Besides orange is visually very beautiful and not to be underestimated.

Here in Copenhagen I've tried to get a closer look at the orange version but not a single AD have one in stock. First I was told in the OB that the orange with bracelet was coming around late October or early November. Then I was told it could be at the end of the year but with a strap. Another AD told me it could easily take 2-3 months but they would gladly take an order if I prepaid 50 % with 20 % refundable if I chose not to buy it - no thanks.

Did you know that if you picked one up in Denmark you can have 20 % of the price refunded because you are fom a non-EU country? If you are quite sure you wanna buy one i could get you some extra 10-15 % discount from a AD and afterwards you can have the additional tax refund. The retail price here is DKR 99K. The AD will send the refund to your account or you can collect it at the airport before departure.

Awan thanks for clearing that up - i see what you mean about the orange being more rare in the wild.

Regarding the tax, that is why i almost bought the titanium last week when i was in mainland Europe - unfortunately my credit card PIN blocked and I was unable to complete the transaction and still leave enough time to claim the tax back at the airport!

Its many years since I have been to Copenhagen - maybe time for a trip to do some watch shopping!

As much as I love many things Omega - but given that (like me) you’re looking for the right story, I would still go with Rolex first (classic Sea Dweller in my case) and one of the Fifty Fathoms second (a bit difficult as none of the modern offerings that are actually reasonably obtainable have much in common with the old originals).
The Tudor Pelagos FXD makes for a very cool (and affordable) alternative with its own unique story.

That’s my ultimate dive watch

Ok I know that’s not what ya needed, I just like it.

So my vote is Ploprof , classic awesome

Update: Since I last posted on this thread I have not seen a single Titanium UD anywhere, and with news of a Ploprof release later in 2023 I decided to order a Steeldive to see if the Ploprof would be something I could live with/pull off.

As soon as I put it on my wrist I knew I’d be getting one . So now my decision has moved - SS 1200m, Titanium 1200m, or wait and see what the 2023 release will bring. I know it will be SS, but maybe they’ll remove the HEV and possibly even go monobloc with no case back?

I’m going to call a play action here and say that if you’re looking for something larger, but only into desk diving and not actual diving… just go with a Planet Ocean. It’s large, yet elegant. Commanding, yet rugged.
PO has my vote!
And if you do end up actually diving with it, you still most likely wont take it to its extreme capabilities.

Best, Judson

Well not sure if it was divine intervention or what, but having decided I was going with the Ploprof, I was close to my local OB last week so popped in to enquire about the timing/release/details on the new stainless steel model for 2023. The assistant told me that unfortunately they haven’t had any real details on the 2023 catalogue or novelties yet, but he’d be sure to call me as soon as they did. We got chatting about the Ploprof for a while then just as I was about to leave he said ‘have you seen the Ultra Deep yet, I’ve got a cancelled order that’s just come in?’. I said ‘it’s not the titanium one is it?’. He nods and smiles and says ‘give me a minute…’
The rest as they say, is history…

I haven’t really had it off my wrist since. Everyone knows this is a big watch and maybe I’m just lucky to have enough wrist for it, but the lug to lug is certainly great. The thickness there is no getting away from, but compared to some online images I’ve seen that make it look absolutely ridiculous, I find it totally wearable (and actually enjoy the heft!)

The nato does make it a little unstable and adds 2-3mm, again something that doesn’t bother me personally but a single pass would reduce this. I would really like to put it on a blue strap like the original FOD-X models that went down, but looks like they don’t exist.

It’s a divisive watch, but in the metal it really is a handsome beast. I can’t take my eyes off it. The white gold accents flash in the light, the lume looks incredible, in addition to the aesthetics you have the back story and the technology. So now I have to wonder how I will react when the new Ploprof comes out…

Edited:

First I would say Ploprof looks oudated and it's design language, details and finish is not modern anymore. I would go for one with the latest tech, materials and movement.

Her are my suggestions:

1. Definitely the one I would go for...and get one of the best ever in-house movement by Omega, Cal 8912 combined with O-Megasteel which is stronger, more scratch resistant and shinier like white gold.
Note that the orange version is the only UD with a unique lumen in the bezel. With this watch you will have something very few owns.

2. This is the purely classic and safe choice

3. Lightweight, cheaper and most comfortable and comes with a great movement Cal 8900 inside titanium grade 5 case. This is the most wearable PO ever with it's latest redigned case and bracelet.

If number 3's 43.5mm is not sufficiently chunky then the chrono titan should be: 45.5mm and 18.9mm thickness (vs 18.1mm in UD). It is still very light with its only 170 gram vs 252 gram for UD with bracelet....and still cheaper than UD.

That Orange bezeled steel Ultra Deep is fire. Definetly waiting for the secondary market to bring those out at a more viable price point for me! Love that one.

Hi all, I’m looking for a dive watch (desk diving only). I’m a sucker for a story/bit of history and this has led me to both the Ploprof and the Ultra Deep. I was lucky enough to try on the titanium UD a few days ago and would have bought it if I had had a little more time but had to dash for a flight. I have long fancied a Ploprof but have never seen one available to try on. I’m a big chap and have the wrist to pull off these chunky beasts and want something special to wear when appropriate (i.e. when I'm not dressed smart/formal). I’m not into Rolex and looked at the fifty fathoms but it wasn’t the one. So WIS hive mind, in a shootout between the Ploprof and the UD which gets your vote and why?
I have a Planet Ocean 45.5mm and I think it may have the best wrist presence out of all of my watches. I think everyone who likes bigger watches should give it a try.

Well not sure if it was divine intervention or what, but having decided I was going with the Ploprof, I was close to my local OB last week so popped in to enquire about the timing/release/details on the new stainless steel model for 2023. The assistant told me that unfortunately they haven’t had any real details on the 2023 catalogue or novelties yet, but he’d be sure to call me as soon as they did. We got chatting about the Ploprof for a while then just as I was about to leave he said ‘have you seen the Ultra Deep yet, I’ve got a cancelled order that’s just come in?’. I said ‘it’s not the titanium one is it?’. He nods and smiles and says ‘give me a minute…’
The rest as they say, is history…

Outstanding. Great story, great photos and great looking watch. Sometimes things are just meant to be. Wear in good health 👍

Congrats on a great purchase OP! I tried on the orange version on rubber strap and shocked how comfortable it was.

For others who come across this thread looking for a large dive watch, feast your eyes on this beauty! Blancpain’s new FF. I’m a huge BP fan (own two) so I may be biased but this hunk of awesome dive tech would be my pick….. if it weren’t for the price. Ouch.

https://monochrome-watches.com/blan...n-bezel-underwater-diving-review-specs-price/

Wow that Blancpain 😲

Love the design/engineering and ethos but don’t love the price 😁

Great choice, OP!

Love that Blancpain, but the PloProf has been on my wish-list for ages -- maybe next year.

Until then it's Pelagos, Sinn and Marinemaster, in that order, I dive with all of 'em but the Pelagos is hard to beat at or near the price.

But the Ti PloProf -- that's an endgame watch for me.

I agree scapa. I’m nervous that the Ultra Deep isn’t going to be enough to quench my thirst for a Ploprof 😁

I agree scapa. I’m nervous that the Ultra Deep isn’t going to be enough to quench my thirst for a Ploprof 😁

Ploprof literally looks like an anvil in shape, I really like it- just seems like an honest watch. Like, "I'm not here to make anyone else happy so fleck off" kinda watch.

Nothing wrong with the UD- it's just not as unique. Also; like others here I rather prefer the orange detailed UD, as blue is a more common color if you're going for a slightly more unique watch look. Ploprof has that in spades though.

How sure are we that a new 2023 PloProf is coming? Is this whishful thinking? Are these rumors? Or does anyone has confirmation or inside information? Very interested...

Ploprof all the way if you have other watches available for dress or understated times, but as a weekend watch - I think it would be an incredible watch and what a talking point !