Ultimate dive watch - help me decide

If you’re just asking for random opinions, I’ll vote ploprof too. It’s a very cool watch. I don’t get the appeal of the UD at all to be honest.

I may still end up getting a ploprof one day, but man the matte case, matte dial, and blue accent combo of the UD Ti really got me. I was waiting for it ever since the press releases about the expedition.

That and the UD is looks more subdued because of its "typical" shape, despite being 1mm thicker than the ploprof. I've been wearing my UD to the office pretty often, but I don't think I'd do that with the ploprof (especially on mesh, too shiny).

^This is kind of where I was at before making the OP. The history/story of the Ploprof and its distinctive looks had me hooked, although I did wonder if it was too ‘out there’ to be worn frequently. I went into the OB to try one last year and they told me they were discontinued and no stock in the network in the UK. They then told me about the Ultra Deep being released and invited me to a launch event that unfortunately I couldn’t make. The story appeals and even though the Deep Sea Challenger now goes deeper than the UD, the watch it is based on still holds the record for going deeper than any other timepiece! I saw and tried the UD last week when I was travelling with work and as PandaSPUR says it is actually quite subdued in the flesh, but unmistakable to those in the know. The ti and blue flashes look incredible and of course the ti version is closest to the 3 actual Ultra Deeps.

I think I need to try a Ploprof so that I can be sure I can pull it off.

I genuinely can’t decide, maybe I just need to sell some possessions and get both! 😁

also, these non Ploprof and UD pics are making me think I have got no chance of limiting my collection to 4 😁 so many amazing watches!

this guy:

omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-600m-21563462201001-l.png

^ I actually tried the all black version recently and liked it, but not enough to seriously consider.
Ubc8AoQ.jpg

I have a DSOTM Apollo 8 so can’t really justify another blacked out watch.

Of the current ‘standard’ models I’ve tried I liked the ceramic Diver 300 on the bond nato best

pXUSag8.jpg

That Ploprof looks great!

Another suggestion, the Seamaster Big Blue 176.004 is very cool vintage diver with a 1040 cal. that has the central minute counter. Vintage, so you obviously wouldn't get the water resistance.

Another vote here for the Big Blue.

A beast, but very wearable

F0l1dvT.jpg

7FwUHQr.jpg

mIkS2NZ.png

In my opinion, the ploprof has no equal, nothing exists to even compare to it. This is a watch that is 95% function and 5% form.

If you want to make a statement with a large true dive watch, it isn’t even a choice

If you’re looking for some vintage color with a small footprint that doesn’t look like a run of the mill diver:

Ud gets my vote. Modern horological technology, diving watch for the frontier. the ploprof is also a great watch but, it has a more "roughneck" vibe, which i really like, but for having seen it on somebody's wrist in a terminal, it feels really out of place in a civilized environment. Since you honestly admit you're looking for a desk diver, the UD would fit the bill.
In the end, you wear what you like and feel comfortable with.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, words and pictures. I think the next step is for me to find a Ploprof to try before doing anything else! Not sure how feasible this is going to be - maybe ordering a Steeldive at £300 is the best way? I can probably sell on for minimal loss.

Might as well stir the pot a little more...😀

Consider this, the technically most perfect modern dive watch of the new Millenium (arguably, of course)...

...and continuing with a Titanium theme...

Since you're considering a Ploproff and the various 'Deep' possibilities, with this beastie you get a thoroughly modern, automatic chronograph AND a dive watch, all in one package

Best of luck in your Quest!

...also, a late entry in the "Funky/Chunky" category...

...and modern retro...

so, what did you decide? 😀

i haven’t!

If anything I have had my ‘head turned’ by some of these other beauties.

As I said in the OP, the story/history is a strong pull, and as much as I look at other brands I can’t deny being an Omega fan boy. That’s ultimately why I was choosing between Ploprof and Ultra Deep.

I’m going to look for a Ploprof to try as a next step, although if I see any of the others on my travels I might pull the trigger before I manage to do that!

Also think it’s an interesting time from an economic point of view, there may be some better deals ahead over the next year due to recession etc so as desperate as I am to buy one I’m OK waiting a short while 😁