Forums Latest Members

UG polerouter super thoughts before buy

1. charlely23 Apr 8, 2020

Hello everybody,

I am a newbie to the watch world and this is my first post on the forum. I have cast my eye over this nice UG polerouter super 869112/01 and wanted to know what you all were thinking of it. I am not familiar with this model but have done my homework and from what I can tell all the parts of this timepiece seem original (I was not able to check whether the crystal was signed) Also I don't have the same trained eye as some of you to tell whether the dial was refinished as it looks immaculate. The seller asks 1650euros for it.
    Do you think it is a reasonable buy ?
    Thank you very much guys !
    C.

upload_2020-4-8_19-49-1.png

upload_2020-4-8_19-52-18.png
    upload_2020-4-8_19-54-7.png
    upload_2020-4-8_19-55-55.png
    upload_2020-4-8_19-58-26.png

FREDMAYCOIN, Jensonslog and bgrisso like this.
  2. 10H10 Apr 8, 2020

Hello,
    Imo, it's reasonable and the watch is correct, I would buy...

3. charlely23 Apr 9, 2020

Thank you very much 10H10 !

4. charlely23 Apr 27, 2020

on my wrist !:
    watch.jpg

I love it however I have a question you guys could help me with: how do I wind a screw down crown ? After a couple of anticlockwise turns, the crown is loose and can be pulled to set the time. But I fail at understanding how to wind it properly. I thought I wouldn't wind it at all and simply wear it but the watch stops during the night after a full day of wearing it. Any tips ?
    Thanks

JGreenman, vujen, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  5. CafeRacer Apr 27, 2020

It screws into the case to lock it. It will only wind in one direction, so wind forward, backward, forward, backward, etc, to stop it locking.
    Unfortunately its difficult to diagnose if/why it is not winding fully without having it in front of you... could be a problem with the mainspring, the rotor, just be a bit dirty, or you just don't move your arms enough :)

charlely23 likes this.
  6. charlely23 Apr 27, 2020

Thank you cafe racer. So basically I need to screw it and unscrew it several times to wind it properly ? Yeah I may have a word with the seller as it sometimes stops after actively wearing it for the day (was supposed to be serviced!)

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 27, 2020

If you buy a vintage watch you always need a service if you don’t know how long since it’s last.

Supposed to be service come with paperwork proof ?

8. CafeRacer Apr 28, 2020

just keep winding it forwards and backwards at just before the point it starts to engage the thread on the case.

9. bardamu Apr 28, 2020

I don't know this particular reference, but usually an automatic with screw down crown provides two different positions with crown pulled out: the outermost one allows you to set the time, then pushing a little towards the case you should have a middle one to wind it, turning clockwise, and finally screw and lock it. That said, a service is always recommended.

10. CafeRacer Apr 28, 2020

These calibers only have 2 positions.

charlely23 likes this.
  11. bardamu Apr 28, 2020

Thanks, I didn't know that.

12. charlely23 Apr 30, 2020

Thank you very much Cafe Racer, I wound it forward and backward multiple times as you advised and the watch now works flawlessly !

13. Lurk41 Apr 30, 2020

Not sure about Polerouter or any vintage screw down crowns, but for the 2 modern screw down crowns I ever have, how it works to wind them is like this:
    - unscrew the crown (CCW for mines)
    - a small spring in the crown pushes the crown a bit away from the case thread
    - wind it (CW - basically, reverse of "unscrew")
    - eventually pull the stem in its 2nd position to set the time
    - push the crown next to the case so the crown is in contact with the thread
    - while pushing, "unscrew" gently to find the start of the thread
    - screw it (CW)

So, basically, the crown is spring-loaded to avoid screwing the crown when winding the watch...

ELV web likes this.