Forums Latest Members

Help On UG Polerouter Sub Double Crown

1. Yetiboy Jun 21, 2023

Hello, I'd really appreaciate if someone could give his opinion about this rare Universal Genève Polerouter Sub, which I'm willing to buy.
    There are many fakes, especially between the 2nd generation watches. I've read many discussions, I like the watch, but I still have some doubts about this one.
    Does the dial look genuine to you?
    I've seen other examples of this movement on this reference, do you think it's correct?
    I apologize for the poor picture, but it's all I have at the moment. Thank you.

PhotoRoom-20230621_092825.png PhotoRoom-20230621_093105.png PhotoRoom-20230621_093038.png PhotoRoom-20230621_092907.png PhotoRoom-20230621_093137.png PhotoRoom-20230621_102718.png
  2. Mazoue Jun 21, 2023

The dial is legit and there are plenty of correct examples with a Cal 218-9.

So, it's not one of the fakes but whether all of those parts started life together on that watch is another question. For example, the hour hand in particular looks very fresh with little corrosion and clean lume.

The numbers seem to be present on the case back. Are you able to share the serial number?

In terms of condition generally, the rotor looks a bit worn which might indicate an issue and there is some nasty looking corrosion to the rehaut, which will be difficult to improve.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. HamDoctor Jun 21, 2023

Also has quite a few scratches on the bridges and screws, which is often an indicator that someone has been working on the movement who shouldn't have been in there.

I'm also irritated by the lume dot on the '3', which shows as pink on two pictures (but not on the last dial picture, so maybe it's just an artefact).

Apparently it has some fairly deep scratches on the crystal, but they might buff out ... but there's also a scratch that is on all three pictures at the '1', which may be on the dial. I would need to see the dial from a different angle to be sure, but all other scratches show up on some photos but not all, so I assume they may be only on the crystal.

It only says "Swiss" on the dial, maybe it should include a "T" or two for tritium?

4. Mazoue Jun 21, 2023

'Swiss' or 'Swiss T' is possible, with 'Swiss' being correct for earlier (presumably radium) examples.

itsjustausername and HamDoctor like this.
  5. vintagesweden Feb 14, 2024

From what i can tell, everything checks out, except for the above mentioned newer looking hour hand, and possibly uneven wear on different parts of the movement.
    Did you buy it?