Forums Latest Members

Triple Date Moonphase vs Tri-Compax

1. Morten B Jul 3, 2020

Aha, I see, can you elaborate please?

2. killer67 Jul 3, 2020

3. killer67 Jul 3, 2020

never seen anything like this though

4. mikeo1 Jul 3, 2020

Regarding TDM vs TriCompax I think Tempus had it right-the level of complexity in the Tri puts it in a different league--in fact sort of a league of it's own if you consider wristwatches in the 40's. Pretty much unmatched until the mid 80's when Klaus introduced the IWC 3750 DaVinci and added the annum indicator.

5. bgrisso Jul 3, 2020

I'm surprised the Tri doesn't get more respect, it's still generally a niche specialty watch for collectors. It's an amazing combination of complications and when UG released the Tri in 44', it was a pretty massive success for many years.

6. mikeo1 Jul 3, 2020

Bgrisso said "amazing combination of complications" and I have to agree! I also believe it gets a high level of respect from those who understand both the theoretical and mechanical comprehensions involved in creating this type of timepiece. The ruggedness of the tri's is what impresses me the most; 60 to 70 years later still a few around and operational. Perhaps a fear of the complexity pushes the general collector away I'm not sure. I do think for what they represent historically and horologically they are still significantly undervalued.