Forums Latest Members

TRF - Anyone else experiencing login issues ?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 13, 2021

I would say why don’t you just restrict access to the buy and sell forums? Wouldn’t that be more effective than the 25 dollars a scammer would pay anyways if they knew how to run a scam.

For the record, this is right at the intersection of my old career and new career. I was formally running operations and hence the communities for large video games where scams are rampant. I currently am a Cybersecurity Professional auditing Fortune 500 companies for cybersecurity and anti- fraud measures.

Edited Aug 13, 2021
  2. ossodiseppia Aug 14, 2021

vBulletin is antiquated software. From what I have been told it is wrought with security issues and is slow. The BB I used to Admin switched over to Xenforo. It is really crappy software. On that BB, we developed some policies that reduced spammers to a minimum. It just took a few tweaks of the vBulletin software. We did not allow members with fewer than ten posts to PM or post in the classifieds. We also made it so a poster had to wait three minutes between posts. This reduced the number of spammers to a very manageable number. We watched the classified sections for newer members posting things for sale and would issue cautions to the membership. Not a single member got taken once we implemented these policies.

From my single dealings with one or more of the Admins, it really seems like they are inexperienced in the use of the software and running a BB.

Alfista88 likes this.