Forums Latest Members

Trematic, mysterious Swiss brand

1. Batman23 Mar 26, 2019

Hi all--I have a Trematic Bidynator and trying to get it serviced because its not running smoothly. Does anyone know of any watch repair shop anywhere that works on these? I've tried a few both in the US (NJ/PA) and in Switzerland and everyone has declined it. I'd love to give it to my fiancee as a wedding gift as she loves it, but not having any luck. Thanks!

2. BenBagbag Mar 26, 2019

Let's see a picture of it!

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Mar 26, 2019

Blasphemy! :mad:

Maybe try Paul’s Clock and Watch in Sacramento..

Agreed, a pic is a must!!:thumbsup:

4. Canuck Mar 26, 2019

If the shops that turned it down had the opportunity to assess the watch itself, there must be real problems with it that aren’t evident to us, owing to no pictures. These movements repair very well in the hands of someone who knows them, provided the owner is willing to open the exchequer.

dougiedude likes this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 26, 2019

I've had 2 watchmakers have a go at mine. Runs fine until you actually wear the thing. Any thoughts?

6. Batman23 Mar 27, 2019

Hi all--thanks for input. See attached photos.

Like Ahsposo said above--its when you wear the watch that it doesn't work too well (time runs slow, doesn't shift days, etc). Two shops declined, after seeing the watch, because they didn't have the parts. Two others flat out said no without even looking at it.

Treymatic 1 (1).jpg Treymatic 2 (1).jpg Treymatic 3 (1).jpg
  7. Batman23 Mar 27, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll reach out to Paul's.

8. jonno Apr 11, 2019

If you are having trouble getting a Felsa 693 serviced correctly then you need to find a watchmaker not a repair shop.
    Here in the UK parts are not scarce and I daresay that applies elsewhere. Skill and knowledge, well that is another question. (May God protect us from retired schoolteachers and policemen).
    My watchmaker recently dealt with my Trematic moonphase, once I've worked out how to post pics I will explain.

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 11, 2019

I'll pass your observations on to the 2 watchmakers I've used here in the US. Maybe some more shaming will do he trick...

10. jonno Apr 12, 2019

I've attached a picture of my real passion (American Waltham) although I have a small collection of MuDu watches for sentimental reasons rather than anything else.
    However, last year I was able to purchase the Trematic Moonphase below for a great price. Of course it came "fully serviced!!" On arrival the glass has fallen out and when challenged, the seller fobbed me off with hot weather excuses.
    My Watchmaker found that the glass was incorrect and that the movement was struggling. He replaced the glass with NOS and serviced the watch replacing the main spring as the original was over 50 years old. He discovered jewellers marks on the back cover from the early 60's.
    To add to the mysteries of this watch, note the number 601 not IMG_0187.JPG IMG_3866.JPG IMG_3868.JPG fullsizeoutput_3de.jpeg 602, also the serial numbers on the rotor and the case are much lower than what I've generally seen. I really love this watch.
    I could not own the watches without the services of a Watchmaker. Mine is 'old school' and went through all the horological stuff at an early age now keeping himself abreast of things continuously. I realise that I am extremely lucky to have his services.

11. jonno Apr 28, 2019

I"d be pleased to hear any comments about my Trematic. It is worn daily and seems to gain around 1 minute every 48 hours which I would say is pretty OK.
    The low serial numbers must mean something but I'm not sure what, it has an !8K gold case which I have never seen before also the back is gold.

12. allwoundup Apr 28, 2019

Congratulations on a beautiful watch. The case was made by Gindraux SA, of La Chaux-de-Fonds, as indicated by the "119" inside the hammer head mark on the case back.

bardamu and DaveK like this.
  13. jonno Apr 28, 2019

Many thanks indeed for your information. I had wondered what the symbol meant, now I am informed.

allwoundup likes this.
  14. allwoundup Apr 28, 2019

Do you have a photo of the inside of the case back that you can share? The mark just to the right of the "18K, 0.750" appears to be the head of "Helvetia", the Swiss official hallmark denoting 18k gold. Helvetia marks may appear elsewhere on the case. If you have never explored the linked site you might find it interesting http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/swisshallmarks.php#eighteen. Cheers!

15. Dan S Apr 28, 2019

I think there must have been a secret trove of NOS SS Trematic triple-date-moonphase watches discovered some years ago, since I see a surprising number of them. Really lovely watches.

@jonno's 18k case is a first for me.

16. jonno Apr 30, 2019

Thank you once again for enlightening me, Helvetia is definitely present on the case back, something that I hadn't noticed. After reading about Swiss hallmarks on the link you kindly sent I have discovered a cartouche on the side of the case that appears to be Helvetia as well.
    The attached photo is poor but the mark is clearly there. I don't have any photos of the inside of the case back although my watchmaker did notice service marks dating from the early 60's. When I next visit him I'll get the back unscrewed and photograph what is there. IMG_0281.jpeg

allwoundup likes this.
  17. jonno Apr 30, 2019

Dan S, so pleased you like the watch, like you I have never seen another one in gold or with the 601 series rather than the 602. Also the much lower serial numbers on the case back and the rotor. Still trying to puzzle this out.

18. hejsam Jun 6, 2019

Got a very dirty Trematic 602 a couple of weeks back from Ebay.
    8302D014-E924-4443-9CE3-9C0450C9256D.jpeg
    CCB51EA4-5AC9-404E-85F0-AF9090233E3F.jpeg
    After i replaced the glass and got it cleaned up:
    IMG_8497.jpg IMG_8499.jpg IMG_8501.jpg
    IMG_8490.jpg
    Still de dial has some patina but the case looks very good, really love this model it´s so well made.

So curious about the brand the this model, anyone know any history?
    How many were made, anyone know the retail price compared to similar models back in the 60s?

What should these models cost now, can only find one for sale atm and is listed at 2000€, seems a little high for a unknown brand?

19. jonno Jun 8, 2019

So pleased to see another one with wear history.

20. hejsam Jun 11, 2019

Nice to see that it has had a fun life, but the almost NOS on the first page is so crisp. One of the best vintage triple dates out there I think!