Forums Latest Members

Mysterious Guilloche dial All Guard

1. dodo44 Dec 21, 2017

For your entertainment, here is an odd (and beautiful) All Guard Longines watch with a waffle (guilloche) dial. I have never seen that dial configuration on a conquest case before. The waffle dials were usually put in US-cased watches and had a sub-second configuration. Intrigued by this oddity, I asked the wonderful people at Longines for more information on this watch and this is the response that I got (big thanks to Ms Jennifer Bochud):

"Originally, the serial number 10'26X'XXX identifies a wristwatch in stainless steel bearing the reference 9006, in Conquest style. It is fitted with a Longines mechanical self-winding movement, caliber 19AS and was invoiced on 14 November 1957 to the company Longines-Wittnauer, which was at that time our agent for the USA.

Our books mention there is a special mark for "New-York" on the case back and on the inner part of the case back. There also is a mention of R.F.D. 2.R.A. which must be on the dial but I have no explanation of the meaning.

As for the dial, we have never seen such one like this for a reference 9006. This white guilloche is usually used for the American production."

The mystery thickens. The registry mentions odd facts about the watch that are not found on the watch but the odd registry entry matches the oddity of the watch. There is no evidence that any marking was removed from the case or the dial. Why would there be a mark for New-York? What does R.F.D. 2.R.A. stand for? Has anyone seen a waffle dial like this one with a central second on a 19AS movement?

Fire your shots. What do you think about this rare bird?

Here is my wild speculation. R.F.D. 2.R.A. stands for Rosendale (of whatever city starts with an R) Fire Department, Station 2, rescue ambulance. A bunch of firemen wanted a special Longines and ordered that superb waffle dial one-of-a-kind All Guard. I warned you that this was wild speculation...

Now with the pictures...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. khmt2 Dec 21, 2017

Fantastic piece! Really unique and I agree quite the mystery as to where the markings disappeared to! Dibs pls! ::love::

dodo44 and Syrte like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2017

Ditto, and second dibs please!! (Thankfully I don’t think @dodo44 is the selling type, or else I’d have to call dibs on nearly every single one I’m afraid :D).

I really like the wild theory about the fire department order— I vote for Riverdale!!!
    Affluent community in the Bronx with beautiful old homes overlooking the Hudson river— it is part of New York city and their fire dept would have had the cash for a special order!!

Edited Dec 21, 2017
    khmt2 and dodo44 like this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 21, 2017

I'll buy that speculation...makes sense to me.

This is why I love Longines...so much free info for collectors, as you can easily place the watch at place and time.

dodo44 likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 21, 2017

I can’t see where it actually says “New York” on the watch, but this picture may provide a clue:

[​IMG]
    This is an insignia from the Rochester NY Fire Department, Engine #2. Your picture looks like an older version, but both say “RFD 2”.

You may want to contact them.
    gatorcpa

Kmart, argonbeam, cosmofox and 3 others like this.
  6. yako54 Dec 21, 2017

Great watch and great story! Thanks for sharing! What seems weird at first makes so much sense on a closer look.
    The All-Guard from Longines what more could a fireman wish for in the 50ies?

dodo44 likes this.
  7. argonbeam Dec 21, 2017

Thanks for sharing. The waffle dials are pretty cool - one of them was the first Longines I ever purchased, but with sub-seconds configuration as you mentioned. I guess I am thirds dibs at this point :(

dodo44 likes this.
  8. Fost Dec 21, 2017

Maybe the dial was replaced during service some times ago?... That would explain many things...

But th e watch is really lovely anyway, what is the size?
    Congrats!

dodo44 likes this.
  9. dodo44 Dec 21, 2017

I am not sure where this dial would have been sourced. What is the chance that a watch with a odd entry in Longines' registry got a replacement dial that is just as odd. My view is that it is unlikely but it is a possibility.
    Has anyone seen a center second guilloche dial on a 19AS movement?
    The width without crown is 35mm. It is now on a cognac shell leather strap and wears very well.

Edited Dec 21, 2017
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 21, 2017

I have seen dials like that on 1950’s Longines, but not on an All-Guard or Conquest.

BTW, only difference between All-Guard and Conquest is the name on the dial and medallion in case back.

I believe what Longines is saying about the dial being for US production. It has just “Swiss” at 6 o’clock. Typical for Longines-Wittnauer imports.

Don’t know what to say about the rest of the information.
    gatorcpa

khmt2, dodo44 and noelekal like this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 21, 2017

Thanks for the photos of that Longines. I like that watch. I like the 19AS movement and the dial has a lot of appeal.

dodo44 likes this.
  12. dodo44 Dec 22, 2017

This is the closest dial configuration that I have found (on US cased Longines with 23Z movements; exists in silver and black finish). An important difference is obviously the subsecond configuration and the fact that it is on a manual movement. The markers and hands are similar. We will have to wait until another similar watch emerges to learn more about this configuration. I have followed your advice and sent an email to the rochester fire department. Not too hopeful but who knows... I will let you know if they have a truckload of those in their basement ;)
    [​IMG]
    Photo credit: FinerTimes.com

Edited Dec 22, 2017
    Syrte, argonbeam and khmt2 like this.
  13. argonbeam Dec 22, 2017

That is the model I have always seen. That one is obviously cleaner than mine. Dial markers the same. Mine has a 23z as well, from 1956 by serial number. Screw back case.
    Would love if the fire dept had long lost stash somewhere :)
    8A8B8360-9C17-40AE-88FF-2A071715D150.jpeg

Edited Dec 22, 2017
    dodo44 likes this.