Took a gamble on an early 40s Tissot 33.3 - question on Tap size for crown

Dear Gentlemen,

I was looking for a Tissot 33.3 from the early 40s as those models are the same like Omega from that time "only" written Tissot instead of Omega. Its very hard to find a good one so I got impatient :)

I got a model with a pretty much worn down crown - my question here is what is the tap size of the crown for 2 pusher Version (not the one with integrated in crown pusher).

After reading through the net it could be 0.9, 1 or 1.2mm.

Anyone of you have an idea for production date 41/42 what is the standard tap size for sourcing correct crown?

If the watch needs a new crown. You should buy a new stem to make sure it’s the right length for the replacement crown.

call Jules boreal or Otto frei. Measure case tube diameter and length and ask about a crown also

Like 1
That's the crown:
H0116-L325334700.jpg

Will check for dial pics w/o crystal later when I opened the watch.
In fact the the dial is the reason I bought the watch:
H0116-L325334628.jpg

I think about getting another case from a donor watch or replate this case.

Like 9
Strap changed (decided for a brown calf to remain on this one) and again the crown - at least some shape remained:
PXL_20230808_114944357.jpg

Crystal also need to be changed but that's not an issue at all:
PXL_20230808_114953141.jpg

After opening the front of the watch the dial could be seen without any scratched crystal hiding the view.
Dial was a bit dusky (didn't wonder me because of the overall shape of the case) but luckily in very decent appereance for being 80+ years old:
PXL_20230804_161258401.MP.jpg

I havent seen Tissot dials with the greyish colour on telemeter scale - assuming they are flaking off by time which already started on this watch.

I just gently cleaned the dial with a*f rub-off (not at the greyish part) and et voila:
PXL_20230808_113519930.jpg

Like 11
Exact same dial for Omega 33.3 can be found in this interesting watch servicing YouTube video:

Like 5
After opening the front of the watch the dial could be seen without any scratched crystal hiding the view.
Amazing dial! Thank you for sharing. I would be reluctant to touch it for fear of causing damage. I could live with the case as is. Looks good with the brown strap!

Like 1
Amazing dial! Thank you for sharing. I would be reluctant to touch it for fear of causing damage. I could live with the case as is. Looks good with the brown strap!
Was thinking about not to clean too - but the glossy and black finish is very strong on this dial and the open brass can easily take it.
If you do it gently and carefully while sparing out the delicate areas (e.g. the greyish telemetre scale) with the right "tool" (in this case the a*f ruboff which I ordered extra for this task) the outcome is really good and was worth it.

But it really depends on the dial - e.g. for a radium dial with radium indices I would also think more than twice as it's easy touching the indices and then the radium would come off.

Anyhow I would name this a successful dial cleaning worth taking the small risk due to being a gilt dial.

Very nice one!

These Tachymeter dials are just great, from Minerva to Omega to Tissot. Simply beautiful

Like 2
@Redondo444 I take your point that not all dials are equally fragile, and black dials of this kind are more conducive to cleaning. Thanks again for sharing photos of the dial. It is exceptionally beautiful.

Like 1
Leave the crown. Sort sort of matches the overall condition of the case.

new crown is going to be a nice and bright plated one and will stick out like a sore thumb.

to replate the case. Old finish will need to be removed. Case given a bit of a fine sanding to clean up and then replated. Don’t replace over the current finish. Wil look worse

Like 1
quick update:
lucky me was able to find an 18k YG Tissot case/watch produced by B. & C. Dubois in LeLocle. It is within same range of production number (+-3k) with a way better case condition then the super worn previous case - Crown and Pushers not perfect but good shape.

As YG plated Pushers/Crown also kind of worn i wanted to send it for replating.
The panel of the crown has some "Messing Frass" like we say in german - which is related to an oxidation of brass/copper and acid due to sweat over time due to wearing a watch for more than 80 years.

Anyhow i am happy looking forward for the result of replating - i again took a gamble as in reality the crown/pusher didn't look that bad than the pictures are showing.

I expect pushers/crown to be with me within the next month+-
The dial transferred and movement being serviced until end of year the latest as I still need to find a reliable watchmaker not overpricing for this.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Edited:

Like 1