Too many questions about watch servicing/maintenance

1. Stufflers Mom Sep 7, 2019

Ditto.

Lovewatches2 likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 8, 2019

Modern and vintage have the same maintenance cost :whistling:

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. Civic4982 Sep 8, 2019

Everything I purchase that’s “expensive” gets serviced as soon as I get it. I do not trust any sellers that state a watch has been serviced since it may not have been done to mine or my watchmaker’s standards. I take the chance to replace worn parts right away and change out for a fresh mainspring. It usually gets a crystal replaced or hand polished if I can’t get them easily replaced.

After that, I’m an ongoing basis they go back to my watchmaker when they have issues.

When one has issues in a part and I’m able to find the part, i tend to buy a spare if I can or an entire spare movement for vintage watches where it might be inexpensive.

For less expensive watches I wear them as is from purchase and usually within a year or so I’ll send them for service once I’ve gotten a bit of them to enjoy them. They all head to the spa eventually since I don’t sell all that many and mostly buy. I’d like to keep them in nice running shape to wear anytime.

Benbradstock likes this.
  4. Rochete Sep 8, 2019

Your life is not in danger if your watch suddenly stops.

I only care about and buy vintage. I buy more than I can possibly service. I sell more or less as much since I decided to keep collection size stable (thinking about downsizing now). All my watches are below €1000 and I don't plan to go much over that mark, might slightly for an exceptional piece in my taste. I wear a different watch almost every day, have about 60, so 6 times/year is the aprox. rotation rate.

Given above circumstances my approach is: If watch comes with obvious issues I send to service straight away, if an issue appears in a watch previously "fine" I send to service, otherwise it just joins a queue but it may never get a service before it's sold though.

Edited Sep 8, 2019
    Benbradstock and Yak1 like this.
  5. Yak1 Sep 8, 2019

I’ve had one watch serviced thus far...when the crown broke. But I don’t have that many watches and only a couple of vintage ones. As my collection grows, I suspect that may change. I also tend to wear watches for weeks on end before switching.

6. Wryfox Sep 8, 2019

This is a sure condition of never being happy in life.

Take the most beautiful woman in the world and look close enough you will find flaws.

I never intend to look that close.

You could take a brand new watch and zoom in as you did with those pictures and find flaws, but if they don't affect function, who cares?

There are things that matter, and things that don't. Most don't, even if they're not perfect.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

This isn't a philosophy class or group therapy. This is about simple physics and what happens when lubricants fail.

Watches can run fine to the casual observer even when they are not fine inside. This idea is not the least bit controversial...

Benbradstock and 3nicewatches like this.
  8. Wryfox Sep 8, 2019

You made it philosophical by talking about beliefs and religion.

But you've missed my point.... Look at anything close enough youll find a flaw...physics be damned....it doesn't mean it matters.

In the real world, results matter.

If it's running fine, it's running fine.

That 3rd gen watchmaker I mentioned? He actually said servicing was a scam to make money, always has been. Period.

Worn isn't bad until it affects results.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

No, I haven't missed your point. And yes, if you look close enough, you will find flaws in a perfectly good pivot. Here's a photo of one taken with an electron microscope:

[​IMG]

And yes there are minute flaws that don't matter, even when you zoom in:

[​IMG]

There are standards that watch companies like Omega put out for when wear is acceptable or not. So if it's beyond what's acceptable, you replace the parts not just for performance now, but for performance years from now. When servicing a watch you don't just think about the present, but if the parts are going to last for years or not.

I know, you have posted this before. As I've already said in this thread, taking an approach with some watches where you let them go until there's obvious problems can certainly be the most cost effective approach. I'm not, and never have said that people should stick to the service recommendations that brands put out.

What I'm saying is, that may not actually be the most cost effective way to handle all watches. In particular vintage watches that will require expensive and/or hard to find parts. Again this is not some extreme position, no matter how much you want to make it out to be...

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

Yes, a collector I know well had bought this for his father, who only has this one watch, and he wore it every day for 7 years. Of course I didn't follow his father around for the last 7 years, but I have no reason to doubt what he is telling me.

STANDY likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 8, 2019

Perfect! These are machines. They need care.

airansun likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Sep 8, 2019

I don’t get why people get so bent about this topic! Archer has said, it’s your watch, do what you want- yet advises on the side of regular service just from his personal exposure to what happens if you don’t. He isn’t telling anyone what to do, just sharing evidence of what he has seen as a professional in this trade. My watchmaker differs in opinion from Archer (don’t fix if it ain’t broke), but I still have him service “working” pieces- and he invariably finds things that are out of spec and need replacement.
    Don’t shoot the messenger guys, nobody is trying to sell you anything.

13. Stufflers Mom Sep 8, 2019

It sure is and all the project fear BS is to get you to part with your hand earned cash sooner than is needed.
    Send your Aqua Terra watch to Omega and the cost of a full service is £430, and it will be £430 if the watch has been serviced 5 years ago or 10 years ago, the cost of a full service is still £430.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

Yes, this is exactly what I've said...

15. JwRosenthal Sep 8, 2019

I think the logic of service is that with proper maintence you can extend the life of expensive high wear parts much longer that go beyond the price of a standard CLA. As an example, those of use who remember unsealed greased wheel bearing in cars- if you repack the grease every 10k miles or so, you can get years out of them- cheap insurance. If you just wait for them to fail you are spending thousands more frequently.

BlackTalon and mcnuonuo like this.
  16. Stufflers Mom Sep 8, 2019

Great, so now you agree that there is no cost benefit to sending a watch that is keeping good time in for a service because it's age.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

I am most certainly not dogmatic when it comes to servicing watches. When someone asks me how often to service a watch, my answer is always the same - it depends. My answer will be different based on many factors, such as modern or vintage, rarity and cost of parts, what the brand policies are, if you are using a service center, etc.

Here's what I said once again...maybe you missed it when I stated it in my post on page 1...

Since this servicing question is posted in the "open discussion" section, it is not specific to Omega, and different brands may treat the issue of what's included in the way of parts differently. Again as I've said many times there is no one size fits all approach if your goal is to have the lowest ongoing costs, so do your research and find out what's best for the watch you are considering servicing.

Benbradstock and DaveK like this.
  18. Stufflers Mom Sep 8, 2019

You said a lot of things, some of them contradictory, but I have done my research and any Omega watch I have will be going back to Omega for service when it fails to operate correctly and they will charge me the same price dry oil or no dry oil.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

Please let me know what I’ve said you consider to be contradictory.

20. Willbur Sep 8, 2019

I fully agree with Archer point of view especially regarding availability of parts that may have to be replaced on vintage watch.
    But on the other hand every time you are servicing it there is also a risk to damage it
    I've seen so many times movement,dial, hands damaged by supposed watchmaker that today I would prefere a vintage watch never open instead of one serviced 10 times.

And first thing I will do, will be to service it.

Benbradstock, DaveK and Dan S like this.