Forums Latest Members

Too many questions about watch servicing/maintenance

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

C'mon now...don't bring common sense to this argument! ;)

DaveK likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Indeed, that's what it means. What it certainly doesn't always mean is that it's in good condition inside, that oils aren't dried up of failing, and that parts are not wearing...

3. KeithS Sep 7, 2019

I've gotten the impression that not many watchmakers do. When I brought a recently purchased 114270 Explorer with no service history (but was running just fine) into the Rolex service center for routine servicing, the representative was a bit incredulous that I was bringing it "just because." I also just bought a new old stock 2201.50 Planet Ocean and brought it the nearest Omega factory trained watchmaker for a service (as I had read your numerous posts about oil drying up and such). He took a look at movement, pressure checked it, and then sent me on my way saying there was no need to service the watch unless it was running funny.

4. JwRosenthal Sep 7, 2019

This is the same responses I have gotten- if there’s nothing wrong with it, why do you want it serviced?
    But I side with Archer on this since he has shown photographic proof- that 7 year old Sinn- ouch!

Benbradstock and wagudc like this.
  5. Wryfox Sep 7, 2019

Well look, it's not just me... Two watchmakers I know well in my area tell me the same...one is a third gen watchmaker. Both say don't bother unless it stops running well. I see both sides but when you have over 60 vintage watches, it's just not economical.

6. Gasman Sep 7, 2019

I’ve grown to believe “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Again to be clear, I don’t care how you service your watches. How you choose to handle your watches is irrelevant to the facts.

I have seen far too many watches that owners report as “running fine” that are not in good shape inside, that It’s clear that “running fine” is not a guarantee of anything with regards to movement condition. This is the point I’m making, which again has nothing to do with how you choose to do things.

KingCrouchy and Larry S like this.
  8. Stufflers Mom Sep 7, 2019

Of course you are free to believe what you like, but we have no background info. on the Sinn, or how it came to be in such poor condition. For all we know it may have sat with the caseback off for two years in a poor environment.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Well if it did, that wouldn’t cause the wear on the pivots...:rolleyes:

Benbradstock, mcnuonuo and kkt like this.
  10. Stufflers Mom Sep 7, 2019

Silly me, and I thought your project fear advert was about oils drying up.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Yes, silly you indeed.

12. Stufflers Mom Sep 7, 2019

But not silly enough to fall for a shoddy sales pitch.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Feel free to believe whatever you wish...

Benbradstock likes this.
  14. Stufflers Mom Sep 7, 2019

Gee thanks!.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

You are welcome.

Benbradstock likes this.
  16. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 7, 2019

A basic course in mechanical engineering would do some here some good.

@Archer is right. Vintage pieces deserve/need babying that modern ones do not.

Everything vintage gets serviced after it joins the family. Anything vintage that I wear with any frequency will be serviced on schedule. Anything put away for more than six years will be serviced before regularly worn. What I do.

It’s true, I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never added up all the money I’ve spent with watchmakers or how much will be required to service them all again. It’s a lot of money.

But, part of the way I respect these miraculous, compact precision instruments is to keep them repaired and not unduly abuse them by running them when it damages them.

Every time @Archer posts any of those photos, it always makes me ill. ::puke::

Edited Sep 7, 2019
    Benbradstock and BlackTalon like this.
  17. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Sep 7, 2019

I just had my Submariner LV serviced after 5 years. Why? I dive with it. After 5 years I think it's a real good idea to get the seals replaced, and while Rolex insisted on a full service I have zero problems with that. I have other Rolex and Tudor divers that I use and they, too, will go in after 5 years. My other watches (Explorer, Explorer II, DateJust, Air-King 5500 I'll wait til six or seven years as long as they're keeping good time. Servicing by Rolex is expensive, but most of my watches have increased in value (in some cases dramatically) so I don't really worry about the cost. A qualified watchmaker and genuine parts are worth it anyway.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 7, 2019

Pretty sure the background info would be - worn on the wrist.
    Bet you have fun at the Doctors

patrick1616 and KeithS like this.
  19. JimoftheHills Sep 7, 2019

I've not been substantively in the hobby long, though my discussions with my grandfather, who was a watchmaker for some years, amounted to the position that mechanical watches should be serviced every five years or so to keep them running smoothly. That said, it wasn't a maxim he lived by, except with the watches he most cared about, as I've discovered. The mechanical watches I received from him have all required extensive servicing to restore to running condition, after being left for nearly twenty years.

That said, it was less that he was uninterested in serving them and more than he simply didn't have the time to do it himself and hadn't found anyone he trusted to do it. Compounding that, his favourites were f300s, which require less regular servicing, from what I've been told.

Personally, as long as I can afford to, I plan to service my mechanical watches on that 5-year schedule, as best I can, because they are ultimately machines, and machines need love. As others have mentioned, there's a lot of similarity with cars, and I wouldn't let my cars get much beyond their service schedule without attention. So far I've not had too much to worry about, having had mostly quartz/electric watches and one mechanical. Now I have more to worry about.

Whether I fall into the same trap as my grandfather, however, remains to be seen.

Benbradstock likes this.
  20. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Sep 7, 2019

This thread has been very helpful, thank you all for your responses!

I wanted to pick up a bang for your buck watch (perhaps a vintage omega) but am now second guessing that decision due to higher maintenance costs for vintage pieces (I would get routine services as watch condition is important to me).

This thread has also guided me towards a smaller collection, which I am now considering to be 3-5 watches excluding beaters.

Benbradstock and JwRosenthal like this.