Today I sold all my watches.

Probably cheaper to buy the gold speedy with bracelet and then sell the watch head. It's insane how much Omega wants for just a bracelet.

Until then, may your efforts be fruitful and rewarding!

I would agree, but they didn't offer this one on gold bracelet.

My philosophy is take the money component out of the equation. That done, if you don't like your watches, or have too many, by all means sell them. If you love your watches, keep them. Timing anything is usually hopeless, the vintage watch market is no exception. I have spent way to much on vintage watches. I have often overpaid and often undersold. But, I never spend with money that I need for something else, and I get pleasure from this hobby that can not convert to any monetary value. Financially naive, yes. But my watches make me happy and money doesn't always.
It’s the same with any tangible commodity. I have been told by many (who are money focused) that the real estate market is hot in my area right now, I should sell while I can get the max out of it. I then ask “but where would I live?”. Their response is rent an apartment….no thanks.

It’s the same with any tangible commodity. I have been told by many (who are money focused) that the real estate market is hot in my area right now, I should sell while I can get the max out of it. I then ask “but where would I live?”. Their response is rent an apartment….no thanks.

Similar situation here but then you realise that nice profit you made on your house is gobbled up on the next house and you still haven't progressed monetarily or asset wise as we all sell and buy on the same market.

Just think how angry you'd be, living in an apartment, paying rent every month, and watching the market continue to rise. 😡

I've seen a few people who were able to successfully cash out their houses, but everything had to fall into place perfectly ... strong market, ready to move/retire, etc.

This year I’ve sold 8 watches (probably 1/3 of previous total), and have a few more to go. Mostly vintage. In theory, the resulting funds are waiting to go, consolidated, into a single watch.

I’d like a core, 6 watch collection I wear regularly. 4 slots are locked in. Two are modern Rolex. I’d love to add a 16750 GMT, but the present market…

Then separately, are the handful of vintage pieces I will rarely ever wear and that I keep for what - if I’m honest - amounts to ”collector” hoarding.
Irony for me is that the watches I can sell for the most gain are the very watches I’d never sell.

My philosophy is take the money component out of the equation. That done, if you don't like your watches, or have too many, by all means sell them. If you love your watches, keep them. Timing anything is usually hopeless, the vintage watch market is no exception. I have spent way to much on vintage watches. I have often overpaid and often undersold. But, I never spend with money that I need for something else, and I get pleasure from this hobby that can not convert to any monetary value. Financially naive, yes. But my watches make me happy and money doesn't always.
Amen!

Irony for me is that the watches I can sell for the most gain are the very watches I’d never sell.
Same. I get it, if I know I have a financial hit coming or I’m ready to phase into another part of my life, now would be a good time to cash out. But if you are still getting pleasure from something- why?

Similar situation here but then you realise that nice profit you made on your house is gobbled up on the next house and you still haven't progressed monetarily or asset wise as we all sell and buy on the same market.
Exactly! The 30% gain I would get on my house over 2 years ago will be absorbed in the next house - it’s a gain of net-zero or even worse, now you overpaid for the new house and are over extended when you were perfectly fine in last one.
This game is never rigged in our favor.

Exactly! The 30% gain I would get on my house over 2 years ago will be absorbed in the next house - it’s a gain of net-zero or even worse, now you overpaid for the new house and are over extended when you were perfectly fine in last one.

The only way you win is to have 2 ( or more) houses in the same market, location and leap frog buying and selling them, that way you can make a tidy profit.

I’m with you however by definition collecting can be for “things of value” hoping they increase in value. I mean that’s one thing that drives collectors of many different things so if someone is collecting watches with the hope of financial gain who am I to judge. I did try that for a bit early on but didn’t really enjoy it. Took the fun out of it. I think at most now I might question if a watch will retain its value, or have a decent chance in doing so and even that goes out the window if it’s a watch I really like. Sales is not my strong point. I sell so much crap as my wife is a flipper off just about anything I just ask her one question before I go out for a P2P sale “what is the minimum you want for this”. That is crucial info as some people want to try to haggle with you for an hour.

As others have said you can never find the top or the bottom of in any equity, commodity etc. we find those after the fact on occasion one does time something perfectly but doing so usually requires inside information or a solid run of luck.

The only way you win is to have 2 ( or more) houses in the same market, location and leap frog buying and selling them, that way you can make a tidy profit.
My sister and brother in-law are like that. They have done pretty well flipping like that but are always living out of cardboard boxes and hustling from one deal to the next. They never stay in the same house more than 2 years.
It takes a certain constitution to live like that, and for some people it’s exciting and all about the hustle. Same can be said for watch collecting- some people love the hunt and the flip, it keeps things fresh and the hobby stimulating for them.
I move at a slower pace, I hate drama, or struggle- I like stability- which to a hustle person sounds boring.
Nothing wrong with either way of living, as long as you don’t try to rope me into your hustle 😒

Same. I get it, if I know I have a financial hit coming or I’m ready to phase into another part of my life, now would be a good time to cash out. But if you are still getting pleasure from something- why?
Same for me

I have a really hard time selling my watches. I always think "well, the watch somewhat beautiful?" or "maybe one day I'll wear it". 14 years ago I got a Raymond Weil Tango as a gift and never wore it. In fact, I almost hated it 😁 Until last summer. I was finally mentally ready to wear a square quartz watch from an uninspiring brand. Now I really like the ugly thing and use it regularly. Moral of the story: never sell anything because a decade later you might regret it.

Tell that to Californian’s selling a 2br, ok, house then moving to Texas and paying cash for their dream home. Same for folks moving here from NYC.

If you’re willing to move markets, it can be a little rigged!

I could sell my Austin house and go live mortgage free back home in Arkansas … 😵‍💫

This is a good time to thank you all and the forum for creating a place to share our like- minded interests, which quite honestly are not shared by many of my family members or friends. It is very refreshing to read your thoughts.

This is a good time to thank you all and the forum for creating a place to share our like- minded interests, which quite honestly are not shared by many of my family members or friends. It is very refreshing to read your thoughts.
I was going to respond to this with a quippy meme of some kind as I usually do to deflect sincere emotion- but I agree- you all are wonderful folk, and I’m glad to consider you all friends.

No you're wrong. As soon as word gets around that I have sold my Rolexes it's all over. Tulipmania will vanish into obscurity when compared to Rolexmania and I will have been the one to call it. Yes, the name Vizard will pass down the centuries in hushed tones.
No no no, the day I buy a Rolex is the day we’ve reached peak Rolex. There’s no scenario where I take the plunge and prices don’t immediately start dropping the next day.

I decided last week that it was time to go through stuff I can sell and get things listed on eBay or elsewhere. Turns out I have a pile of old video games (mostly for the PlayStation 1 and a few NES) that are actually worth a nice chunk of money. These weren’t anything I collected just items of my childhood. One PS1 game I have is selling for around $550. There is a part of me that wants to hang onto them or put them on display but I know it’s just another rabbit hole to go down collecting so off they go. Hopefully turn them into a watch when enough sell.

I decided last week that it was time to go through stuff I can sell and get things listed on eBay or elsewhere. Turns out I have a pile of old video games (mostly for the PlayStation 1 and a few NES) that are actually worth a nice chunk of money. These weren’t anything I collected just items of my childhood. One PS1 game I have is selling for around $550. There is a part of me that wants to hang onto them or put them on display but I know it’s just another rabbit hole to go down collecting so off they go. Hopefully turn them into a watch when enough sell.

On the bright side, if you ever feel like playing those games again, ther are tons of PS1 and NES emulators out there.

It's how I justified selling my PS2. I still have my PS3 and, on some other thread, I've been told it's obsolete. Like, whaaaaaat?

Well, all bar my JLC Master Control and a 90s TAG SEL Chronometer that didn't attract adequate dealer interest. But everything else, mainly Rolexes, gone.

Why?

1. Because I had a watch box full of watches that used to mean something to me, but which I was not wearing and didn't mean to me what they once did.

2. Because I am bored with Rolex. They are everywhere.

3. Because I think we are at peak Rolex. One of the ones I sold today went for well over double what I paid for it. I cannot envisage it carrying on increasing forever.

4. It's just before Christmas and dealers want stock. I think they will do well this Christmas, but I have a hunch that Christmas 2022 may look more bleak.

I appreciate that my view won't be universally popular and watch me get proved spectacularly wrong on points 3 & 4.😁

The plan, and yes there is one, is to keep my JLC and buy a nice gold dress watch to alternate with it. For sport I will have an Apple watch.

But tonight I have a very empty looking watch box.

Wow! Good on you mate! I can't imagine selling all my watches I've just become far too attached to them!

I have heard that there is a shortage of fine pieces on the second hand market and I've been offered quite a bit for some of my pieces but I'm always nervous about selling if they don't have a shop.

I'm embarrassed to say I was taken once when I received some real high quality counterfeit bills from someone I met on craigslist who purchased a watch from me. I was able to find this persons real name and info and I ran a background check on https://backgroundcheckrepair.org/ and sure enough he had a record for counterfeiting and fraud... If I had done the check beforehand I'm sure I wouldn't have met him.

Now if I do consider selling any pieces I go to a jeweler but due to their overhead I normally get a lower offer and of course you have to keep in mind that they're here to resell the watch too.

It's best for me to just keep all mine and hand them down to my kids one day.