Today I sold all my watches.

I doubt very much that we will ever get to peak Rolex, never going to happen, sometimes when you get to that catalyst size and value the only way is up and keep in mind this has been associated with Rolex since the 40's onwards, no mean feat.

As for peak Vintage I dont think we are any where near that either but it isn't as stratospheric as Rolex thats for sure and never will be but as Rolex becomes less affordable the Rolex wannabees of the future are sure going to pump the prices of the (currently) more affordable vintage big brands, current or defunct.

No you're wrong. As soon as word gets around that I have sold my Rolexes it's all over. Tulipmania will vanish into obscurity when compared to Rolexmania and I will have been the one to call it. Yes, the name Vizard will pass down the centuries in hushed tones.

What we rally need is a black tulip Rolex, that'll burst the bubble.
Another prime example was the Clivia plant in China ( Chengdu province if I remember right).
All these bubbles burst eventually..... right, just like gold, gotta burst some time soon.......

Another prime example was the Clivia plant in China ( Chengdu province if I remember right).
All these bubbles burst eventually..... right, just like gold, gotta burst some time soon.......

In all seriousness, I think gold is so robust due to its intrinsic value. It's a commodity used in manufacture and supply is not unlimited.

Stainless steel Submariners, on the other hand... You may as well buy knives and forks.

tulip

south sea

dot com

mbs / cdo

rolex

Im in the same boat, i still keep my box of roles tho, just not wearing them. Wore a GO Senator daily.

tulip

south sea

dot com

mbs / cdo

rolex

It's crashing I tell you. Sell
Im in the same boat, i still keep my box of roles tho, just not wearing them. Wore a GO Senator daily.
Are you utterly crazed man? The market is crashing!

Sell Rolex, buy Invicta. Sell, sell, sell.

I still have fun with this thing of ours. Mrs S is after me to purge … plan however is to nibble round the edges.

In all seriousness, I think gold is so robust due to its intrinsic value. It's a commodity used in manufacture and supply is not unlimited.

Stainless steel Submariners, on the other hand... You may as well buy knives and forks.

Few years ago i was buying gold 1oz coins for 1140ish. If you buy at 1700 and sell later at 1200 you might think its a crash.

I still find a lot of satisfaction in the hobby. Perhaps that's because I keep my collection relatively modest (less than a dozen) and still find good value in certain vintage pieces, particularly Seamasters from the late 50s/early 60s and some Speedmasters as well. I've always thought that making a profit was never a good reason for collecting watches. I've made a profit on a few and lost money - although not much - on others. I figure that if I can enjoy wearing a watch that I've acquired and can later sell it for about what I paid for it, that's a win.
Edited:

Few years ago i was buying gold 1oz coins for 1140ish. If you buy at 1700 and sell later at 1200 you might think its a crash.

Took the words out of my mouth. I would love to see side-by-side historical charts for gold vs. a 1970s Rolex 5513 or 1675. I have no idea what will happen in the future (yes, I understand the tulip reference), but I'm pretty sure that we haven't seen any 40% drops in Rolex prices.

It would be interesting to see charts of Rolex vs the S&P 500 side by side. Personally, I'd have to go with stocks as modern Rolex watches are just too ugly and there aren't any Rolex sector mutual funds (well, at least not yet). 😲 One man's opinion.

I doubt very much that we will ever get to peak Rolex, never going to happen, sometimes when you get to that catalyst size and value the only way is up and keep in mind this has been associated with Rolex since the 40's onwards, no mean feat.

As for peak Vintage I dont think we are any where near that either but it isn't as stratospheric as Rolex thats for sure and never will be but as Rolex becomes less affordable the Rolex wannabees of the future are sure going to pump the prices of the (currently) more affordable vintage big brands, current or defunct.

Bubblebacks....for those who believe the only direction the prices can go is up...

Dealers have to eat. They warranty their watches and have expenses, sometimes including servicing. They are also fast for those who want a quick sale. All of that costs money. Expect to get 50 to 75% of retail, depending the model. A good dealer will advise a seller to try to sell it themselves first. But many people appreciate the convenience of a dealer.

If your watches are in good condition (i have seen pictures of some of yours and they look nice), you might consider here on the forum. If you pay 12 % fee on Ebay, knock that off the price and you are no worse off selling here. The members have the opportunity to buy a good watch at a better cost and you still sell it without the middleman of ebay.com. Just a thought.
or sell them here and don't knock off the 12%. If it's a fair price it will sell.

for the limited amount of gold (in weight) a watch can have the actual price of gold is not really relevant. That's why SS pieces are appreciated much more than gold. It is crazy that less than $2000 in gold equates a 20G difference in price.

I don't think I could ever sell all my watches. But I do think I will minimize the number I own. Mainly because I can only wear so many (one wrist) and consequently many go unworn for many many months. And because getting these serviced is adding up to a pretty big annual expense, especially paying to service a watch that is worn once or twice a year. I have been pretty lazy about getting these listed for sale, but I hope to get on it soon (gray SMP 300 and blue 1st gen 8500 AT). I do know that I plan to sell the Ed White when I retire, and then I will use those funds to buy the gold bracelet for my gold speedy.

My philosophy is take the money component out of the equation. That done, if you don't like your watches, or have too many, by all means sell them. If you love your watches, keep them. Timing anything is usually hopeless, the vintage watch market is no exception. I have spent way to much on vintage watches. I have often overpaid and often undersold. But, I never spend with money that I need for something else, and I get pleasure from this hobby that can not convert to any monetary value. Financially naive, yes. But my watches make me happy and money doesn't always.

... I do know that I plan to sell the Ed White when I retire, and then I will use those funds to buy the gold bracelet for my gold speedy.

Probably cheaper to buy the gold speedy with bracelet and then sell the watch head. It's insane how much Omega wants for just a bracelet.

Until then, may your efforts be fruitful and rewarding!

This year I’ve sold 8 watches (probably 1/3 of previous total), and have a few more to go. Mostly vintage. In theory, the resulting funds are waiting to go, consolidated, into a single watch.

I’d like a core, 6 watch collection I wear regularly. 4 slots are locked in. Two are modern Rolex. I’d love to add a 16750 GMT, but the present market…

Then separately, are the handful of vintage pieces I will rarely ever wear and that I keep for what - if I’m honest - amounts to ”collector” hoarding.