Today I sold all my watches.

Well, all bar my JLC Master Control and a 90s TAG SEL Chronometer that didn't attract adequate dealer interest. But everything else, mainly Rolexes, gone.

Why?

1. Because I had a watch box full of watches that used to mean something to me, but which I was not wearing and didn't mean to me what they once did.

2. Because I am bored with Rolex. They are everywhere.

3. Because I think we are at peak Rolex. One of the ones I sold today went for well over double what I paid for it. I cannot envisage it carrying on increasing forever.

4. It's just before Christmas and dealers want stock. I think they will do well this Christmas, but I have a hunch that Christmas 2022 may look more bleak.

I appreciate that my view won't be universally popular and watch me get proved spectacularly wrong on points 3 & 4.:D

The plan, and yes there is one, is to keep my JLC and buy a nice gold dress watch to alternate with it. For sport I will have an Apple watch.

But tonight I have a very empty looking watch box.

I think if you never wore the Rolexes, this is the perfect time to sell them. Bet you could buy a REALLY nice gold watch with what you got for the watches you didn't want. Anything in particular you are considering?

Some people say getting rid of things cleans up the mind. Less is more. : )

So what did you sell? Some wrist shots? How long did you had them?

Maybe one patek? One watch to rule them all? :D

I don't think you're alone in your sentiment. Many enthusiast are getting squeezed out of the hobby due to escalating prices. I find it harder to justify paying today's prices knowing what was possible just a few years ago. I know for me, I will be out of this one day in the near future as well, the question is not if, but when..........I never thought I would be here this soon.

Well, all bar my JLC Master Control and a 90s TAG SEL Chronometer that didn't attract adequate dealer interest. But everything else, mainly Rolexes, gone.

Why?

1. Because I had a watch box full of watches that used to mean something to me, but which I was not wearing and didn't mean to me what they once did.

2. Because I am bored with Rolex. They are everywhere.

3. Because I think we are at peak Rolex. One of the ones I sold today went for well over double what I paid for it. I cannot envisage it carrying on increasing forever.

4. It's just before Christmas and dealers want stock. I think they will do well this Christmas, but I have a hunch that Christmas 2022 may look more bleak.

I appreciate that my view won't be universally popular and watch me get proved spectacularly wrong on points 3 & 4.:D

The plan, and yes there is one, is to keep my JLC and buy a nice gold dress watch to alternate with it. For sport I will have an Apple watch.

But tonight I have a very empty looking watch box.

Good for you. I've mostly sold off my unworn watches. Watch prices have been going so far out of control that: 1) I've really slowed down buying (GOOD), and 2) I usually need to sell something in order to buy the new shiny (BAD).

Oh well, I figure I'll also be there one day, where I've sold off pretty much everything.

I think if you never wore the Rolexes, this is the perfect time to sell them. Bet you could buy a REALLY nice gold watch with what you got for the watches you didn't want. Anything in particular you are considering?

Possibly a Patek 5127J if I can find one. But JLC Reverso keep catching my eye.

Or maybe a vintage Patek / JLC / insert name here of a 36/37mm size.

If they mean nothing to you then you've made the right call, especially on the Rolex front with prices as they are.

I am at this point in my life also that I would be happy to see empty boxes but in my case I collect high end action figures but after my divorce that left me in ruin and having been 4 years in boxes and in a garage I’m doing the complete opposite of selling them all. For one no matter how you look at it toys or high end action figures are not made to last, some figures after years of not touching just break on sight, then my 1/18 model car collection is just collecting zync pest/rot, abs yellowing sucks so I honestly feel watches are better since you can legit fix them up however you can.

Figures on the other hand a complete mess and once one breaks you have nothing more to do than throw them in the trash. Not to mention i have close to 42 boxes worth of stuff.

So for sure I think right now is the perfect time to downsize to be honest. I came to terms with myself that I will never have them all displayed and it would be expensive to display them all anyways.

Damn, I wish people in your state of mind wouldn’t go to a dealer instead of offering such watches for sale to collectors on places like this forum…
Dealers (at least the greedy ones…) are what’s making this hobby more and more difficult (and expensive)

So, make us drool a little, what did you sell? :D

i have to liquidate my collection pretty soon

no idea yet which route to go

ideally would be P2P cash deal in los angeles area but how practical is that i don't know

Damn, I wish people in your state of mind wouldn’t go to a dealer instead of offering such watches for sale to collectors on places like this forum…
Dealers (at least the greedy ones…) are what’s making this hobby more and more difficult (and expensive)

So, make us drool a little, what did you sell? :D

The attraction of using a good dealer is that I do one deal and the money is in my account the same day. No messing about.

If I sell privately I am probably doing a dozen deals and, whisper it but, some of those buyers might not perform in a timely manner.

Nothing super fancy. Pre-ceramic steel sports and some dress watches.

There are also some wonderful but often forgotten names that are relatively affordable (and have room for modest growth in value for high quality examples). Longines, Gerrard Périgueux, Enicar, Gallet, Cyma, Tissot, the manual wind Jumbo Omegas, Hamilton, etc...to start the list. These can be great fun to own and learn about...and for those who do, work on.

I have a friend who buys new IWC, Blankpain pretty much whatever he wants when he wants. Doesn’t work, doesn’t have to, I don’t ask questions that’s his business but he sold all his Rolex except for a tornograph (is that the name) and I think a Batman but he is a bit upset as he did so like a year ago and a lot of what he sold continued to appreciate. Anyway I just buy the crumbs that fall off his table like a nice KS and omega constellation along with a few other things. Even though he is amongst those humans that have “too much” money he felt weird having all that money sitting in things he wasn’t using that much.

I read a few things about the psychology of collecting then a little deeper in watch collecting in particular, there were things that made sense and probably a few common themes that run through collectors at all price points but it’s a broad field and psychology isn’t a perfect science but I question my habit sometimes as I’m not out to impress anyone, don’t sell many things.

Sometimes collecting things runs it’s course. I collected playing cards for years as I’m an amateur magician and managed to get decks like Jerry’s Nuggets, white Centurions and some others no one here knows what I’m talking about that can have significant value but I just lost the desire to continue and now they just sit safely tucked away. I imagine they probably lost some value as the market was real hot for a while (playing cards) I think it cooled off but I haven’t kept track.
As for watches I don’t have a Rolex or anything particularly of great value but I’m considering selling a handful of things off maybe turn it into one more “decent” piece but that really just means something I like more at the minute.
I could see it being cool for someone with a nice collection selling off and resetting. Not everything we do has to have some great meaning or purpose. Sometimes the best answer to why? Is why not?

Well, I personally don't think we are at peak-Rolex (I've just heard that too many times before), but I can't fault your thinking. And regardless, I sincerely respect your decision. That took a lot of guts, so good for you.

Personally, I keep finding more things that interest me, and there are fewer and fewer pieces in my collection that I'm willing to let go. Accumulating more watches makes me a little uncomfortable, but they are still giving me pleasure.

I'm not sure we're at a peak for vintage, but we're near it -- access to parts will get harder and harder, servicing charges will increase as some of the local expert watchmakers retire (or worse). Personally I'm getting more discriminating with my 'collection' and am prepared to sell more of them that I would have kept in the past.

The hobby is still fun though, and there are bargains occasionally! And I do enjoy checking out the watch drawer in the morning, and figuring out what to wear for the day...

Enjoyed your watches and made money selling them now that you don’t. I’d say that’s a win.

Thumbs up on getting an all gold watch! I think they’re being overlooked - if not Rolex - right now so it’s a good buy.

I keep thinking about it, but never get to it. I have more value than I wanted to carry in a collection but I do enjoy them and in the case of Rolex I don’t think we’re at peak yet. Even if we are unless the start loosing value I’m ok with the margin of profit if and when i sell so no rush there. It’s nice to have something I enjoy that I know continues to maintain or gain value. On the other brands I have they’re lot as easy to move or have a decent return on them. There are a few lower value items I wouldn’t mind unloading ( like a dozen or so) but I just don’t know if it’s worth the effort. I have eBay and few actual collectors would want to buy them.

i have to liquidate my collection pretty soon

no idea yet which route to go

ideally would be P2P cash deal in los angeles area but how practical is that i don't know

Dealers have to eat. They warranty their watches and have expenses, sometimes including servicing. They are also fast for those who want a quick sale. All of that costs money. Expect to get 50 to 75% of retail, depending the model. A good dealer will advise a seller to try to sell it themselves first. But many people appreciate the convenience of a dealer.

If your watches are in good condition (i have seen pictures of some of yours and they look nice), you might consider here on the forum. If you pay 12 % fee on Ebay, knock that off the price and you are no worse off selling here. The members have the opportunity to buy a good watch at a better cost and you still sell it without the middleman of ebay.com. Just a thought.

I doubt very much that we will ever get to peak Rolex, never going to happen, sometimes when you get to that catalyst size and value the only way is up and keep in mind this has been associated with Rolex since the 40's onwards, no mean feat.

As for peak Vintage I dont think we are any where near that either but it isn't as stratospheric as Rolex thats for sure and never will be but as Rolex becomes less affordable the Rolex wannabees of the future are sure going to pump the prices of the (currently) more affordable vintage big brands, current or defunct.