To clean or not to clean...

Was perusing watchmakers online.. One said value of the vintage watch will go up if cleaned and serviced. I'm thinking perhaps a buyer would prefer the watch not to be cleaned and take it to a watchmaker themselves? I have my late Dad's vintage Omega Constellation, and have had it about a week. Been in a crown royal bag since 1996. Heavy gold band I'm sure dad had custom. My second question is, am I better off selling the watch and band separately, or not. I'll post pictures. Want to sell it, but want to go about it the right way.

Best way to get top dollar for it is to post it on eBay complete with very accurate description and lots of tack sharp, well lit photos (take them outside on your patio or something). Start with a .99c opening bid and the market will decide what it’s worth. Quartz omegas don’t have a huge amount of collectible value.
If the bracelet is solid gold, it will be stamped as such in the clasp. If it’s gold plate or filled, it adds no value. If the watch itself is sold gold, it will be marked inside the case back.
Best of luck

In order to make a FS post you need to meet the 200 post minimum. Regarding reselling a watch I think it depends on the target audience. I believe novice collectors or those with a casual interest might feel more inclined to purchase a watch that just came back from a fresh service as they will have that extra security especially if it comes with any warranty from the watchmaker. More seasoned collectors might prefer to take it to their own watchmaker. As far as a cleaning as long as it doesnt involve polishing or refinishing of the dial it shouldn't effect value. We could give you better guidance if you post some pictures!

Oh- that’s not quartz. Also looks like
Gold capped.
Pics of the whole bracelet and clasp would help

Thank you.. I was not going to sell it yet, and apologize if I overstepped boundaries here. Upon closer inspection of the band, it looks hinky to me where it attaches. Not sure if they soldered the band in, or what. There seems to be some gold showing in the tiny crevice on the watch body itself.. I am trying to get an idea of what the heck this watch is.. it's 168 - 015. tool 105 waterproof.

Oh- that’s not quartz. Also looks like
Gold capped.
Pics of the whole bracelet and clasp would help
Will do. thanks

omegabandclose.jpg

Close up of watch band. I'm guessing it's hand made. The green gold diamond pattern does not repeat on the back, the back of the band being all smooth links, except for one hammered one inserted by mistake I'm guessing.

I can find no marking indicating this is gold, and I'm also guessing my dad had this made in Indonesia, as he was with an oil company there in the .. seventies.

I have a better idea, unless you need the money badly, hang onto it and pass it on to another family member. Or at least give them the opportunity to purchase it from you. If you sell it to a stranger, in six months you won't have the watch or the money!!!

I am trying to get an idea of what the heck this watch is.. it's 168 - 015. tool 105 waterproof.

You said it yourself, it’s an Omega Constellation 168.015. With that reference number you can find all the info you need online.

If its keeping decent time I would not service it as I don’t think the appreciation would be as much as the cost of the service. Just sell it as “service history unknown”

Find a decent leather strap and scrap the band all together. You can later find out if its gold or just gold plated. It certainly doesn’t add any value to the watch.

The medallion looks pink to me - in which case a matching bracelet will add value ( and might explain why the contrasting colour is green)

These references aren’t the most sought after Connie but it has a nice clean dial and a great (564) movement so they still do have some value.

Best advice is as above.
low starting price on EBay and let it run.
It should make somewhere between $500-$1000 depending on the bidders.

Thanks guys, so much! The second hand works for a while, so I'm guessing I'll keep it and have it cleaned if I can find a reputable watchmaker near Austin, TX. I'm guessing so. Dad clearly loved the watch. Sorry.. but what is the medallion?

I am wearing a pink t shirt, so it may be a reflection..?

Thanks guys, so much! The second hand works for a while, so I'm guessing I'll keep it and have it cleaned if I can find a reputable watchmaker near Austin, TX. I'm guessing so. Dad clearly loved the watch. Sorry.. but what is the medallion?

the image of the observatory on the back.

Automatic watches (which this is) need a bit of a jump start to get them going if they have sat for a few days or more. Hand winding it 15-20 times charges up the mainspring and the momentum of your arm keeps it topped up. If you put this on a leather strap, it may change your entire perspective of the watch.
Of course it has sat for some time so it should have a clean and lube just to keep everything healthy inside if you intend to keep/wear it regularly.
We as collectors here hate to see someone get rid of a family piece- they really can be meaningful later in life and the little amount this is worth (as said above- maybe $500-$1k) is little in comparison to the sentimental value it may have.
Now if your father was an asshole, that’s a different matter.
Edited:

Regarding the original question, a documented service with warranty adds some value, but not as much value as the cost of the service IMO,.

Automatic watches (which this is) need a bit of a jump start to get them going if they have sat for a few days or more. Hand winding it 15-20 times charges up the mainspring and the momentum of your arm keeps it topped up. If you put this on a leather strap, it may change your entire perspective of the watch.
Of course it has sat for some time so it should have a clean and lube just to keep everything healthy inside if you intend to keep/wear it regularly.
We as collectors here hate to see someone get rid of a family piece- they really can be meaningful later in life and the little amount this is worth (as said above- maybe $500-$1k) is little in comparison to the sentimental value it may have.
Now if your father was an asshole, that’s a different matter.

He could be an asshole. But he was our asshole. 😀 He was also unbelievably generous of spirit, funny as hell, and a few of his inventions can still be found in the oil industry. Thanks for this post and the tip of self winding. I've decided to keep it and get a new strap. Women's size. I may let my sister wear it from time to time, but the days and hours I've spent locating information should count for something..😉

He could be an asshole. But he was our asshole. 😀 He was also unbelievably generous of spirit, funny as hell, and a few of his inventions can still be found in the oil industry. Thanks for this post and the tip of self winding. I've decided to keep it and get a new strap. Women's size. I may let my sister wear it from time to time, but the days and hours I've spent locating information should count for something..😉