Forums Latest Members
  1. marturx Apr 26, 2014

For our records, we, or at least I, would appreciate if you would care to share what it was sold for

2. Keleden Apr 26, 2014

I sold to a gentleman in LA who is very well known. It was under my asking price, but I can sleep knowing the transaction will be legit, and that in itself is worth at least three hundred dollars.

3. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 26, 2014

How do you know it wasn't worth $7500.? or $8500.? or $6500.?

4. Keleden Apr 26, 2014

In my wise years, I have learned greed does not govern.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 26, 2014

It could very well have fetched more but I agree there is something to be said for a nice watch like this going to an upfront buyer who will take care of it - "buying the buyer" is just as important as "buying the seller". As it stands it looks like you were able to sell for about a 100% premium over an average example of the model so while you may have left some money on the table it sounds like you sold it for a price that both you and the buyer are satisfied with.

Darlinboy, Keleden and Pahawi like this.
  6. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 26, 2014

Oh, you mean like asking $10,000 for it. Ha Ha
    "It is a good divine that follows his own instructions."

ron n, DLT222, lenny and 1 other person like this.
  7. Keleden Apr 26, 2014

Yes, thank you. He emailed me letting me know he will keep all the paperwork, and promised my husband he will wear it on occasions, and not sell it. Good day was had by all.

8. Keleden Apr 26, 2014

It was my husband who wanted me to throw that number around, not me BTW.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 26, 2014

The dog ate my homework.

ron n likes this.
  10. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 26, 2014

11. marturx Apr 27, 2014

I think you achieved a great result in selling your father-in-laws Speedy. Your husband should be very happy with your effort! You got top dollars for it, and that was the result from a thorough due diligence, that not many people, not interested in watches, would have bothered to do. We have an example of the opposite in another thread here, where a boy(?), or at least young man, sold his fathers GL Connie with do gold bracelet for petty money in order to assemble funds to a scooter.....

Keleden likes this.
  12. Tubeguy Apr 27, 2014

Hi folks. I bought the watch from Keleden. I deal in vintage new old stock vacuum tubes (and hifi) as a line of business, and have a few new old stock watches I have a couple NOS MInervas including a 1930's Minerva Cal 13-20.ch chronograph and a Breitling Navitimer. It's amazing how many true new old watches are floating around.

I told the seller I would never sell the watch...and I won't. And I honor the memory of their father. I love stuff like that.

The reason I bought this watch is I know that it is correct and original. It was the most expensive sample of this watch I have ever seen, but worth it to me. As to comparing it to the other watch on e-bay linked above, the other one was earlier. And original and near mint. The serial number of the one I bought was in the 30,000's. I saw people looking for them in ONLY the 29,000's. I wonder why that is?

If you don't mind me asking, I want to get this watch serviced. I have a great watch guy, Craig Bergsma. Is there a "go to" for vintage Omega service?

Keleden likes this.
  13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 27, 2014

That's the sort of dilemma I like. If you have the red seal broken, it will detract from the value of the watch - but probably not as much as wearing out the parts inside.

It is now your watch so you can do with it as you see fit. It isn't unique or a limited edition Patek, so I say do it. Send it to Archer (a highly valued contributor to this forum) in Canada.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations.:thumbsup:

Keleden and ron n like this.
  14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 27, 2014

I second the recommendation of Archer - he's in Canada and he will take meticulous care of this watch.

15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 27, 2014

Bergsma is a great guy, and my go-to of choice for service on a Val. 72. Although Craig is meticulous and likely qualified to work on Lemania, I would send it to Archer just on the strength of his reputation in the OF community with 321's and 861's.

Keleden likes this.
  16. Keleden Apr 27, 2014

I read the post yesterday and shared it with my husband. Please take care of tubeguy for me.

17. Keleden Apr 28, 2014

If you would like to create or pick an avatar for my Timepiece Capsule, please ask me before choosing. A pill is everything I am against.

18. Hijak Apr 28, 2014

That was done (not by me) to encourage you to pick your own avatar and if you don't it is likely to happen again. Just passing on a little advice...to take or leave.

Keleden likes this.
  19. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 28, 2014

We look forward to your participation with a second post!