Timegrapher diagnosis for the amateur…

Thanks. In a watch that comes in for service, that was seldom used, does the congealed oil noted above in one of your pictures above count towards the type of debris that is abrasive, even in the absence of dirt or metallic particulate?

The problem would be confirming the absence...

Like 1
The problem would be confirming the absence...

For instance: a buyer purchases a Speedmaster cal. 861 new, stores it for a decade, decides to wear it. Thinks better of it, so brings to you for a service first. Dried oils, likely limited dirt/metal wear. Those dried up oils count as debris if one were to re-oil?

I got a weishi 1900 for Christmas. Put my 1861 on it and set the Lift Angle to 50. I noticed that the Amplitude (after 24h full wind) would increase from btw 230-250 when the Gain was in the middle to 280-300 when the gain was all the way down. I dont remember the exact numbers but they were much higher with the gain down to lowest setting.

Question is how do I know which one was more accurate, and what should the gain be set to when testing? Thanks

For instance: a buyer purchases a Speedmaster cal. 861 new, stores it for a decade, decides to wear it. Thinks better of it, so brings to you for a service first. Dried oils, likely limited dirt/metal wear. Those dried up oils count as debris if one were to re-oil?

That’s what I would call it. The congealed oil would have likely spread away from the pivot. Fresh oil would follow the congealed oil away from the pivot. Like taking a shower with a raincoat on. Watches are conditioned to rid them of (primarily) congealed lubricants, and (secondarily), dirt!

Like 1

If he’s bringing it to me for servicing, I would service it. That only means one thing in my shop...full disassembly, cleaning, new oils, etc.

So yes, that’s debris in my books.

Like 1
I often find that people have adjusted the regulators of unserviced watches to get them to keep reasonable time on the wrist. So it’s not surprising to me that the watch will be running slow on some positions and fast in others.

Like 1
I often find that people have adjusted the regulators of unserviced watches to get them to keep reasonable time on the wrist. So it’s not surprising to me that the watch will be running slow on some positions and fast in others.

In bringing a watch to a satisfactory rate, the last thing that should be done is to move the regulator! Not the first thing. The regulator is not there to be used to mask the fact that the watch requires service.

When the rate of a watch in unstable (fast, then slow, with rates all over the place), how can moving the regulator compensate?

Like 1
In bringing a watch to a satisfactory rate, the last thing that should be done is to move the regulator! Not the first thing. The regulator is not there to be used to mask the fact that the watch requires service.

When the rate of a watch in unstable (fast, then slow, with rates all over the place), how can moving the regulator compensate?
Yes I agree. I was just saying that people often do it. In fact, sometimes I will see old watches with the regulator all the way to one side.

The OP was asking why sometimes an unserviced watch will be fast in some positions and slow in others. Instead of fast or slow in all positions. I was just hypothesizing that sometimes this might be due to someone messing the regulator to get the watch to keep acceptable time on the wrist.

Like 1

Have you by chance noticed if the faster rates were in horizontal positions, and the slower in crown left or down?

Have you by chance noticed if the faster rates were in horizontal positions, and the slower in crown left or down?

Rates relative to pendant position among watches are as unique as finger prints.

Like 1
I think maybe the amplitude is often larger in horizontal positions, but I can't really say if I've noticed a pattern with rate.

Like 1
Before posting I did a search on "magnetized" and found this post! I think my Panerai is magnetized, it has been running fast 2-3 minutes/day. I recently flew and had to go through security, while I have worn the watch through security many times, I think this must be the likely cause.

There are a bunch of demagnetizers out there, anyone have a recommendation on a reputable model demagnetizer?

Before posting I did a search on "magnetized" and found this post! I think my Panerai is magnetized, it has been running fast 2-3 minutes/day. I recently flew and had to go through security, while I have worn the watch through security many times, I think this must be the likely cause.

There are a bunch of demagnetizers out there, anyone have a recommendation on a reputable model demagnetizer?
I got one like this. There’s an app called Lepsi which I downloaded and it supposedly shows magnetism when you hold watch just above it. While I wonder about its accuracy, I have had several watches that ran very fast that were magnetized on Lepsi and changed to non magnetized after running through the machine, and then no longer ran fast. Take with large grain of salt please but machine also demagnetized tweezers quite well. Maybe IMG_9248.png IMG_9249.png someone who knows will comment.

I got one like this. There’s an app called Lepsi which I downloaded and it supposedly shows magnetism when you hold watch just above it. While I wonder about its accuracy, I have had several watches that ran very fast that were magnetized on Lepsi and changed to non magnetized after running through the machine, and then no longer ran fast. Take with large grain of salt please but machine also demagnetized tweezers quite well. Maybe IMG_9248.png IMG_9249.png someone who knows will comment.
Thanks for the guidance, for some reason I couldn't find the app, but the demagnetizer is inexpensive enough I can get it and see what happens, the alternative is a $650 service from Panerai, so it is worth the effort to try!