Forums Latest Members
  1. Mr.H Sep 25, 2016

Hopefully someone can date the sets from the gold ... the type-face used on the watch is obviously later
    upload_2016-9-25_16-14-26.png

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 25, 2016

Gold coins are all pre-WWII. Most countries stopped making gold for circulation in the the 1930's. Banks kept them around for reserves and the US Government had billions of dollars in gold coins at the mint and in Ft. Knox.
    gatorcpa

3. rcs914 Sep 26, 2016

Yep - he replied the same thing to me directly as well. I was trying to understand from his post and how the USS Hornet got upgrades, etc. if he was saying that it was possible that the kits were upgraded. I am assuming that is the case from what @Foo2rama posted.

I was thinking of replying with something like "So if someone opened a sealed box of rifles that were marked 1943, except the box was filled with M16s, what are the chances that the box was indeed sealed in 1943?"

Mafkees and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 26, 2016

Yeah basically what I was going to say until I accidentally deleted my response.

chronos likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

Had a long chat with John and he's actually a decent bloke, I think its more different perspectives than anything else, John accepts the watch is a 1960s watch but that the kits are in fact WW2 era kits as the paperwork and records tends to indicate that and the watches are a bit of a mystery likely known only to whoever handled them during their time in military hands.

Although from a watch collector perspective original is defined as how it left the factory, it sounds more like for militaria collectors original is more often defined as how it left the military's ownership or custody rather that the factory that made it, due to the habit of the military upgrading or retrofitting parts or components. My only guess is the watches were added later while in the service but the records from the actual auction where they were sold indicate that these 60s era watches were definitely in the kit at that time of sale (when it left military hands) which is why from his point of view as someone who is interested in the military significance of it, the watch becomes part of the kit even if it were not originally due to it being present as it exited the service.

Now once again, that standard is not the standard watch collectors typically apply, none of us care what the first owner did to a watch (unless its something cool and significant) but are only interested in factory original spec, but that appears to be where the major difference of opinion lies.

The current Milus brand did buy two of John's kits and independently of him their former CEO released a new watch based on the ones they bought complete with marketing stating that it was in homage to a 1940s watch, really it seems to just be a marketing exercise by the brand to sell watches based on what they thought was a cool angle and its their fault they didn't crack open the watches and notice what was inside before they made those claims.

But yea the auction documents which I've seen do confirm at the time the watches were sold at auction they did contain these 60s Milus watches and that the kits were definitely WW2 orders, so however they got there it happened while they were in the service.

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. soybeanwatch Sep 30, 2016

Nice watch, how much do they go for??

7. Sanmilc Oct 5, 2016

I contacted Milus (I´m not sure if someone else did the same) and this was their answer:

"Hello Sir,

Thanks for contacting us.

The Life Barter Kit was produced by the former Milus company whose doors closed in 1999.

Unfortunately the memorabilia of those interesting watches and their history is very scarce and we can no longer assist you.

The son of the founder of Milus which started the company in 1919 passed away a few years ago.

Best regards

MILUS INTERNATIONAL SA

Rte de Reuchenette 19

CH - 2502 Biel-Bienne

Phone: +41(0) 32 344 39 39"

8. KingCrouchy Feb 17, 2020

DaveK, Wuza72 and Foo2rama like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

I’m glad someone revived this thread. I had totally forgotten about it.

Here is an appraisal for two of them from Pawn Stars:

These are likely the WWII European versions as the owner claims to have purchased them in Poland.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

DaveK, Wuza72 and KingCrouchy like this.
  10. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 17, 2020

This was certainly a joke !

I have had this very box in my hands during a Milus products presentation and I could bid my salary this is nothing from the forties ::facepalm1::

how could I have missed this thread? :D

hey @eugeneandresson do you remember the Milus sales guy? :) If you can’t convince, confuse :D

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 17, 2020

Guys I figured it out... It is all easily explained! Turns out this movie was historical non fiction, not science fiction. This is how obviously 1960's or later kits ended up in the start of WWII!

Waltesefalcon and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

If you read some of the earlier posts, these sets existed for WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

The ones with the Milus watches were likely from the early Vietnam period (1958-65).

The ones on Pawn Stars were from WWII, but look at the video...no watches!!!!

These sets were different at different times in history.
    gatorcpa

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 17, 2020

@kov yeeeeeeeah...I didn’t get it either...apart from the fact that French is like Greek to me, he said he would speak for 10 minutes, but 1h+ later it was beyond funny. Nice umbrellas though...

kov likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Feb 17, 2020

I loved this movie when I was a kid! Haven’t thought about it in years.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 17, 2020

My take on this.

The kits containing solid gold watches (maybe 1940s MILUS models) eventually found their way back into the US supply system where they lay almost forgotten.

Then one day, an enterprising stores clerk or other person who had access to the kits, opened one in curiosity, saw the gold watch and came up with a cunning plan.

They immediately went out and procured X number of current cheapish watches and replaced the gold ones (later to be melted) with ones of much less value. They then sealed up the kits, as evident by the dried glue and put them back on the shelf where they slept until being offered for disposal.

While some here may think that fanciful, I had over thirty years in the military and have seen all sorts of shenanigans going on in the supply system, such as returning expensive accountable tools (actually a crap broken one found at the dump) for a brand new one.

I also know of examples where weapons such as L1A1 rifles and 9mm Brownings were assembled from spare parts, and the mandatory accountable items (receiver etc) were obtained by submitting parts from other weapons because the supply person signing off on the destruction certificate didn't know a receiver from their elbow.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

I respectfully disagree for one reason. The rubber cases for the older sets did not have spaces for watches. I believe that either the surplus SE Asian kits were repurposed in the 1960’s and new cases were made with Milus watches and NATO style bands. I think the shape of the rubber cases were different also.
    gatorcpa

TNTwatch, KingCrouchy and Foo2rama like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Feb 17, 2020

Having worked in government for 20 years myself (and doing purchasing)- this isn’t out of the realm of possibility. There is always a paper trail in government- if the kits had been updated at some point to be made usable again after sitting on a shelf for 20 years (old watches- need to replace with working new watches-it’s easier to do a PO to replace than to repair), there would have been a PO for new watches with a stated justification. But that later PO would be hard to tie to the original kits as it could have been lost in a sea of paperwork with different names for the kits etc (“requisition for replacement parts to field gear Xyz”).
    There would be no need to replace the other parts in the kit, just the mechanical watches that would have been obsolete in the refurbishment of the kits.
    It’s all speculation- but as I said, there is always a paper trial...you just have to know where to look. If the watches can be narrowed to a specific year, then there would be a requisition for replacement “parts” for the year before or after.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 17, 2020

@JimInOz

one problem the one in the Smithsonian which came from a different source then these others clearly was not opened. Its clearly a 60's kit.

Waltesefalcon and JimInOz like this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 17, 2020

No probs gents, just throwing it out there. Appreciate the feedback.

Waltesefalcon and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Helvetia History Feb 21, 2020

Fascinating thread.

Reminds me of when I was a medic in Bosnia in the 90s on Sea Kings. We had a photocopied 'Blood Chit' in Serbo Croat 'I am a member of the UN, my government will reward you if you look after me' etc. Still got it somewhere.

The pilot was also issued with a money belt, gold Krugerrands if I remember correctly, they were in a long bandoleer each in a separate little cloth pouch I think. Funny how little things change.

No watches though unfortunately!

Thanks. Carl.

Waltesefalcon likes this.