Tightening an 1171 clasp?

Posts
1,990
Likes
9,505
Anyone have any good tips or pointers for tightening up the clasp of an 1171/633 bracelet? It has started to pop open a bit too easily.

I presume it’s a tweak of one of these 2 parts, or a combo. Is it better to work on one vs the other? Either bringing the catch in 2 down and in, or lift the blade in 1. I think I am better off working on the catch in pic 2 but know someone here has done it and hoping for confirmation or advice.
Thanks OF!
 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
I suspect that you bend or unbend the blade slightly to increase the overlap of the catch.
 
Posts
1,555
Likes
6,788
Had the same issue with a well used 1171 earlier this year. Bending this slightly solved it for me.
 
Posts
933
Likes
1,047
+1 for @Aludic but bending steel without heating it up ( I use a mini torch lighter until the steel is red ) is risky.

Kind regards, Max
 
Posts
337
Likes
280
Yup, the little tab in pic #2 is the culprit. It doesn’t need much bending at all, so leave the BFH in the toolbox and be gentle.
 
Posts
18,732
Likes
38,884
Before you go bending the little tab, check the curvature of the two blades of the clasp.

Ideally they should be of approximately the same radius when closed.
If they do not lie together then one can be bent to be flat against the other.
Once that's done and if it still won't catch, try bending. Very gently.