Thoughts on this Omega 2384-1

This watch seems to be in rough condition but I think it is all original, of course my eye is no where near as good as yalls so I would like to know what others think. Current owner said it is running ok, but not time tested for accuracy. Also what would be overpaying for a watch in this state? Also sorry for the poor picture quality, I asked for better ones but havent heard back.

To my eyes the dial looks tatty and tired, I can't even read the logo. I'd only really consider a watch that looks like this for case parts as they look pretty good.

How much?

he was asking 400. i feel that is a little high, what range would you be thinking it was worth?

If you are a serious military watch collector, I can see why the watch might be interesting to you. If the military provenance is not important to you, then you are probably better off waiting for a civilian model in better condition.

If you are a serious military watch collector, I can see why the watch might be interesting to you. If the military provenance is not important to you, then you are probably better off waiting for a civilian model in better condition.

Thank you for the feedback, I do prefer the actual military watches but I may just wait on this one.

In focus pictures would be helpful.

From what I can see here, watch looks correct to me. These Omegas are interesting watches. Apparently ordered after D-Day and delivered in late 1944 through neutral Portugal.

There as some defect in the original dials that caused almost all of them to degrade prematurely.

The price seems fair to me when one looks at what you can get today for $400 in a vintage Omega. It may be possible to find replacement hands. The dial is another matter.

Good luck,
gatorcpa

Like 2
Does the dial on the 2384-1have “Swiss Made” on the dial?

I see some do and some do not.

Does the dial on the 2384-1have “Swiss Made” on the dial?
Yes. This style is one of the few where Omega actually mentions it:
Dial
Silvered, with luminous arabic hour markers (radium), "railway" minute track, "skeleton" hands and "Swiss‑Made" between 5 and 7 o'clock.
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-other-us-army-ck-2179

Note that the Ref. 2179 and 2384 "US Army" models used the same dials.

Those that do not have the "Swiss Made" are redials. I have seen some pretty good redials on these. A little radiation degradation on these dials is normal and a sign that they may be genuine.
gatorcpa

Yes. This style is one of the few where Omega actually mentions it:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-other-us-army-ck-2179

Note that the Ref. 2179 and 2384 "US Army" models used the same dials.

Those that do not have the "Swiss Made" are redials. I have seen some pretty good redials on these. A little radiation degradation on these dials is normal and a sign that they may be genuine.
gatorcpa

haha! Gatorpa ΩF. I was searching the web for info and I found your reply (link here). That one doesn't have "Swiss Made" either.

I am asking because I have one (link here) which looks original to me, but lacks the mark. Now, if it were redialed, would it have been during service or afterwards? AIso, I am wondering it the dial numbers contain radium; the hands clearly do.

Both reference 2384 and 2179 cases were used for civilian watches as well as the order delivered to the US Army in Europe. These were sold with dozens of different dial styles.

Only the version with the dial as described in the Omega Vintage Database under Ref. 2179 were used for the US military watches. But not all of the watches with that dial were issued by the US Army.

The watch in the Hodinkee article you linked is of the correct style, but is a redial.

71863200-7EC5-42E8-B552-9C666E89E071.jpeg

upload_2021-7-23_14-15-9.jpeg

Note that the Omega logo is a bit different than that of the watch at the start of this thread. I do not know when the redial was done.

The original dials and hands would have plenty of radium. Redials were one-of’s, you would need to have it tested.
gatorcpa

Like 1
Both reference 2384 and 2179 cases were used for civilian watches as well as the order delivered to the US Army in Europe. These were sold with dozens of different dial styles.

Only the version with the dial as described in the Omega Vintage Database under Ref. 2179 were used for the US military watches. But not all of the watches with that dial were issued by the US Army.

The watch in the Hodinkee article you linked is of the correct style, but is a redial.

71863200-7EC5-42E8-B552-9C666E89E071.jpeg

upload_2021-7-23_14-15-9.jpeg

Note that the Omega logo is a bit different than that of the watch at the start of this thread. I do not know when the redial was done.

The original dials and hands would have plenty of radium. Redials were one-of’s, you would need to have it tested.
gatorcpa

Thank you Sir! I notice the 4 is a bit broader on the Phillips (I assume correct) version as well.

This seems academic, but I bet one can determine the age of the dial quite accurately by measuring the the ratio of radium/polonium/lead/bismith deposited onto the open areas of the dial.
Edited: