Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this JLC Jumbo

1. Vizard Oct 11, 2022

screenshot.jpg Untitled.jpg nn.jpg
    Edited Oct 11, 2022
  2. S.H. Oct 11, 2022

Could you upload high res pictures in this thread? Not everyone would bother following a link, and any discussion would be moot after the c24 ad disappearance...

3. johnireland Oct 12, 2022

Looks very nice but many questions. Is it a UK watch? If so, the inside of the case back should be stamped DTE...the initials for the company that imported and cased JLC watches into the UK during the 50s and 60s. It would be nice to see pictures of the movement. Also, inside the case back would tell you what the gold content is. Many UK watches used 9 and 10 ct gold...an alloy (not plated or capped), but I find the price of this watch to more appropriate for an 18k. JLC also made bumper automatics back then. Looks like tool damage to the case back where the wrench had to bite into the indentions to open the back. The unsigned crown would be correct for a UK model during that era. I've seen 35mm, 37,mm 34mm, etc. I would find the 37 to be the most desirable for my own taste. It would be nice to see how much lower you can get the price...that asking is high.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 12, 2022

Gonna bee honest…I don’t like it. Alarm bells … case and dial.

Geezer likes this.
  5. Fallout Boy Oct 13, 2022

"Irregular" dots on the (imo original) dial. I would not buy.....

6. johnireland Oct 13, 2022

follow the link and you will see the Chrono24 pictures.

7. johnireland Oct 13, 2022

what dots are you referring to? There is no lum on this dial or hands.

8. johnireland Oct 13, 2022

Out of curiosity, what other cases are you comparing this case to?

9. johnireland Oct 13, 2022

There is always another watch down the road. If you are uncomfortable with your knowledge level on vintage JLC, then pass on this watch and expand your knowledge. Visit lots of websites and look at lots of vintage gold JLC, and read about their history, various case makers and world market distributors, etc., etc. Yes, show pictures of watches, but not for recomendations to buy, but for opinions and information. Good hunting.

10. Fallout Boy Oct 13, 2022

dots = stains - sorry, I am not a native english speaker...

11. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 13, 2022

The case back certainly looks like it has seen the polishing mop and they don't give an indication of what the manual wind movement is, strangely. At that kind of money you have a pretty wide choice of great JLC's.....gratuitous pic... JLC GEOMATIC.JPG

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 13, 2022

This was my 15 second analysis based on experience. Over polished and I don’t like the dial.

13. Vizard Oct 14, 2022

Thanks everyone.

I haven't time to research old JLCs right now, but may do in the future. Can you suggest any good resources please?

That watch is, as you will have seen, in Belgium. So I assume it to be European.

I have latterly only bought watches that are fresh from the manufacturer and have bought both a Reverso and a Master Control with 2 years manufacturer warranty. This gives me some hope that what is in the case is correct, if not any confidence that the watch actually keeps good time. Neither of mine do!

However, I think a Jumbo like that, which has been through JLC, will be something of a unicorn.

14. johnireland Oct 15, 2022

A seller of a JLC I am considering just recommended the following book...“Jaeger LeCoultre a Guide for the Collector” by Zaf Basha."
    I am certainly going to get a copy. If that means holding off on buying more until I know more...what can be the harm of that? The problem, as I see it, with getting a "bad" example of a JLC, isn't the same as getting a "fake" Explorer One or Paul Newman Daytona. With JLC, I think it will simply be a matter of getting a watch in less than good condition...a low quality redial or a poorly running watch. I normally don't have a problem with "polished cases"...unless taken to some insane extreme...but evidence of polishing the case of a 40 to 60 year old watch makes sense to me.

15. Vizard Oct 15, 2022

That book is not available, as far as I can see.

I don't have a problem with polishing either, providing that the case hasn't lost its form. Nor do I have a problem with a restored dial, if it is a quality job. I realise of course that I am probably a Philistine, but I like my toys to look nice and I don't see the beauty of patination where watches are concerned.

16. NT931 Oct 15, 2022

SpikiSpikester and Dan S like this.
  17. Vizard Oct 15, 2022

18. Dan S Oct 15, 2022

Are you really complaining about the $99 price? This is a full color book full of information and photos with an unmatched amount of research on JLC. Books like these are often $150-$200. And yet you are willing to pay an exorbitant price for a mediocre watch.

Edited Oct 15, 2022
    NT931, size11s, tmw57 and 1 other person like this.
  19. johnireland Oct 15, 2022

I just emailed the author to order a copy. I look forward to all there is to learn.

20. janice&fred Oct 15, 2022

Very true. Zaf is a long-standing member over on the military watch forum and we have had successful transactions with him over the years. He is a straight shooter and knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

Dan S and tmw57 like this.