Thoughts on this compur

Posts
79
Likes
45
Hi All,
I have recently purchased this and wanted some input into the watch as it was a bit of an impulse buy and did not have much time to research.


Would be interested in any information on this watch that you may have to offer.
Regards
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,637
Legit I think
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
Circa 36’ or ‘37 watch based on serial. Jeanneret case. Dial has seen better days, but looks legit to me.
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
Thank you, that is reassuring as I am very hard pressed to find another one. So would this be one of the first Chronos, dated 1930 to 1936? And for insurance purposes once it arrives what sort of figure should I use? or just use the figure I paid for it?

 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
Tired case and dial but legit. Would be a hard pass for me.
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
Thank you, that is reassuring as I am very hard pressed to find another one. So would this be one of the first Chronos, dated 1930 to 1936? And for insurance purposes once it arrives what sort of figure should I use? or just use the figure I paid for it?


S/N 611XXX would date it to ‘36 or so. Not the first chronos made by the company. Their earliest had enamel dials and double column wheel movements. As for insurance amount, that’s really up to you to decide.
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
S/N 611XXX would date it to ‘36 or so. Not the first chronos made by the company. Their earliest had enamel dials and double column wheel movements. As for insurance amount, that’s really up to you to decide.
So the serial number is the second number 611XX on the case? I thought that was the reference number and the first number the serial number 5287? so 5287 is the case reference number
Edited:
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
No, other way around. UGs from this period were 4 digit reference numbers (or sometimes no reference at all). Some time in the late 30s/40 they transitioned to 5 digit reference numbers, and then later 6 digit reference numbers. 611XXX is the serial number.
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,637
Reference 5287 and serial 611.017 and indeed 1937. Case is not that bad
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,481
Look orig to me, dial is not in great shape, but still it's a cool watch and I would enjoy it at the right price.
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,637
Dial was misabused in the past indeed. But all by all - for the right price - I could buy it
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
So the serial number is not 5287, but the 611?

Dial was misabused in the past indeed. But all by all - for the right price - I could buy it
What would that be in the region of?
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
So the serial number is not 5287, but the 611?
The watch has arrived and the pictures dont do it justice. there is a problem though, It does not reset to 12 oclock once the stop watch is reset. It goes back to different hours each time. I bought this watch for 2700 euros, and expect it to be in perfect working condition. the seller ( not a particularly nice chap) tells me I can get that fixed for 20 euros.
From what I understand this could be that the friction contact with the stop watch needle no longer does its job properly?
So my question is do I return the watch to the odious seller, or is it really an easy fix?
thanks
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,481
The watch has arrived and the pictures dont do it justice. there is a problem though, It does not reset to 12 oclock once the stop watch is reset. It goes back to different hours each time. I bought this watch for 2700 euros, and expect it to be in perfect working condition. the seller ( not a particularly nice chap) tells me I can get that fixed for 20 euros.
From what I understand this could be that the friction contact with the stop watch needle no longer does its job properly?
So my question is do I return the watch to the odious seller, or is it really an easy fix?
thanks
I think it depends on how much you like the watch, how much above melt value you are at the current price, and what your watch repair options are like. Where do you live and do you have someone that can work on this? I don't know anyone that could fix this for $20, but for the right person, perhaps it would not be a major repair, I'm not sure. Is it keeping good time otherwise?
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
So the serial number is not 5287, but the 611?
I think it depends on how much you like the watch, how much above melt value you are at the current price, and what your watch repair options are like. Where do you live and do you have someone that can work on this? I don't know anyone that could fix this for $20, but for the right person, perhaps it would not be a major repair, I'm not sure. Is it keeping good time otherwise?
It appears to be. But my conversation with the seller has left me with such a bitter taste that I can not keep the watch and it's going back tomorrow. I will keep an eye out for another one with a decent seller. Thanks