Thoughts on this Medico Compax

Posts
6
Likes
6
https://www.analogshift.com/collections/watches/products/universal-geneve-medico-compax-as12417

This is my first foray into UG and would love to get some expert insight into this example. I've traced it back to a prior sale on carsandwatches.com, and based on my research everything seems to be correct. Seeing as there are very few Medico Compax (relatively speaking) and the different variations it came in, it's difficult to make direct comparisons.

Thanks to all in advance!
 
Posts
917
Likes
4,950
Welcome to OF. If you want better feedback from the experts post photographs not links.
 
Posts
335
Likes
925
I have never seen that watch before but if its real/genuine that is a beautiful thing!! 😎
 
Posts
1,886
Likes
3,627
Very attractive watch, even if it is a fully new printed dial ?
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,941
imho this is a (very nice) Compur with a swapped and later "medico" dial.
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,637
Always extremely annoying that the numbers are blurred
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
imho this is a (very nice) Compur with a swapped and later "medico" dial.
+1 Later Chrono hand too. It’s nice at the right price.
 
Posts
6
Likes
6
I'd like to understand what's dating the dial for you. What I have on the watch:
Case serial 813617, ref 22517 engraved on the exterior caseback. Inside caseback signed UG with the Enversteel stamp. Movement is cal. 287, serial 1x68301 (second digit unclear in the photos I have). Applied gilt Arabics, blued hour/minute/subdial hands, gilt central chrono hand. Unsigned crown, 1940s style plain UNIVERSAL tang buckle, period box.

If 813617 puts the case around 1941, I can see the problem, since everything I've read has the Medico dial arriving later in the decade. Is it the logo style, the MEDICO-COMPAX text, the print style, or the combination? And do you know whether a 22517 with the 287 ever left the factory with a pulsations dial, or was the Medico only delivered on the later 285-plate references?

I have the a clear photo of the caseback engraving and can post both if useful. The dealer describes the dial as original, so before I go back to them I want to be sure I'm asking the right questions.

Appreciate the time.
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,941
of course dial can be original, I don't see a reprint here, serial is just too old to see a Medico dial on it.
I can't remember precisely atm, but if I am not wrong, Medico dials appeared around 1945.
 
Posts
6
Likes
6
of course dial can be original, I don't see a reprint here, serial is just too old to see a Medico dial on it.
I can't remember precisely atm, but if I am not wrong, Medico dials appeared around 1945.
Thanks vujen, that's helpful and clearer than what I was working with.

Two things would sharpen it for me. What's the earliest case serial you've seen carrying a Medico dial? And have you come across a Medico on a 22517 or any 287-cased oversize at all, or were they only on the 285 references?

The scenario I keep coming back to is old stock. Based on my research, it seems that exports were mostly shut 1940 to 45, so a 22517 case from 41 or 42 sitting in inventory and being dialed as a Medico at sale in 45 or 46 doesn't seem impossible. That would look exactly like this. But I have no idea if UG actually did that or if a 285-era Medico dial even fits a 287 case without work. If you've seen it, or seen it debunked, I'd rather know.
 
Posts
882
Likes
2,409
Medicos came on cal 287s but vujen is right this particular reference appears to be a compur historically. Your theory is possible - a customer could swap in a different dial at the AD level as UG was known to allow accommodations and customize for customers but from factory it likely came out a compur.
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,941
Thanks vujen, that's helpful and clearer than what I was working with.

Two things would sharpen it for me. What's the earliest case serial you've seen carrying a Medico dial? And have you come across a Medico on a 22517 or any 287-cased oversize at all, or were they only on the 285 references?

The scenario I keep coming back to is old stock. Based on my research, it seems that exports were mostly shut 1940 to 45, so a 22517 case from 41 or 42 sitting in inventory and being dialed as a Medico at sale in 45 or 46 doesn't seem impossible. That would look exactly like this. But I have no idea if UG actually did that or if a 285-era Medico dial even fits a 287 case without work. If you've seen it, or seen it debunked, I'd rather know.
I think it's easier to think at a dial swap 😀
 
Posts
69
Likes
121
Also wondering what the earliest accepted case number is for a medico compax

I saw another medico compax today with a 911,XXX serial. From what I understand, sounds like this is likely a swapped dial as well?
Edited: