Thoughts on this 2849-1-sc unique dial no minute markers

Just received this seamaster calender 503
2849-1-sc was just curious what you guys think is it genuine dial ?? Is it normal to have no minute markers. Or could it be aftermarket/ redial
I believe the second hand is non original and possibly the hands ?? Look a little off but I'm still learning and would love to hear your views.

IMO, dial is original. Hands are replacements.
gatorcpa

IMO, dial is original. Hands are replacements.
gatorcpa
That was also my gut reaction, FWIW.

Thankyou for your feedback
Gatorcpa
Dan s

I did read somewhere that the 503 has Quick date set but isn't working unfortunately. Tho was priced relatively cheap sold as non working as the crown/ stem pulls out. Turns out its the release pin was stuck.

First thought was texture dials like this would be hard to put minute markers on

I’m not so sure that is original. I’ve never seen a 2849 like that, the dial looks later like mid 60s. It might be fine as that model ran up to the Mappics code days but I’d expect to see the word Calendar on a 2849 dial usually.

I note a 2849-1 could reasonably be expected to be one of the first so would date to circa 1956/7. That looks much later. What’s the serial, I’d be less concerned if it’s a 60s watch.

I’m not so sure that is original. I’ve never seen a 2849 like that, the dial looks later like mid 60s. It might be fine as that model ran up to the Mappics code days but I’d expect to see the word Calendar on a 2849 dial usually.

I note a 2849-1 could reasonably be expected to be one of the first so would date to circa 1956/7. That looks much later. What’s the serial, I’d be less concerned if it’s a 60s watch.
Serial number is showing 1958. First 4 numbers are 1696

Well then it’s an oddity and a nice looking one at that. It might be fine but my suspicion is that a later original dial from another model has been fitted at some point. If I saw another ‘50s curtain dial 2849 I’d revise that opinion though.

If that dial isn't original, I'd like to sign the re-dial artist to an exclusive, and very lucrative contract. 😁

Hour and minute hands look fine to me, just the second hand is incorrect. Dial looks fine.

I agree just the seconds hand looks incorrect.

If that dial isn't original, I'd like to sign the re-dial artist to an exclusive, and very lucrative contract. 😁
Hahahah my thoughts exactly that's what made me purchase it. Just pushed the crown back in and released the locking pin and it was fixed lol

My point above was not that it was a redial, just that it might not have started life on a 2849…

My point above was not that it was a redial, just that it might not have started life on a 2849…

It's possibbe, I suppose.

BTW the 502, 503 and 504 have a semi quick-set date. Turn the hands clockwise until the date changes and then counter clockwise to around 9 or 10 then forward past 12 and repeat.

BTW the 502, 503 and 504 have a semi quick-set date. Turn the hands clockwise until the date changes and then counter clockwise to around 9 or 10 then forward past 12 and repeat.
hahaha thankyou I was trying like a 565.

Had a black contrasting stitching cheap strap kicking about. Actually looking quite good on it lo l until I repair my beads of rice.

I suggest you wait 10 years before correcting the seconds hand, in this timeframe if an exact one doesn't pop up, go ahead

They did funky things in different markets, maybe this is one of them

I suggest you wait 10 years before correcting the seconds hand, in this timeframe if an exact one doesn't pop up, go ahead

They did funky things in different markets, maybe this is one of them
Yes I have thought that I'm in no rush to get it changed.I do own another different model with a similar hand I've also seen the exact same model with the same second handon eBay with I thought could be to much of a coincidence if it's been replaced.. yes I'm aware the bezel is missing lol