Forums Latest Members
  1. Melanieds Oct 21, 2021

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950-Vin...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Following on from the previous thread where some lovely people advised me on my purchasing choices, I’m interested in people’s comments on this one?

I’ve not seen many comparable types so hard to know if this is worth the money; it feels as if £200-250 would be more valid.

It’d be for me. Birthday present. I want a steel longines to remind me of the one that belonged to my late father. It got stolen.

[edited]

Edited Oct 21, 2021
  2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 21, 2021

What are you own thoughts? This forum is not a free appraisal service

Larry S likes this.
  3. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 21, 2021

What exactly do you want to know? If we like it? If it’s a good price? If it’s a redial? If it’s made in the 1930s? If it is good for your mother in law? If it was owned by the Pope? To answer your question what do you think of it - I don’t like it. But I’m not sure that really was the question you were meaning to ask… please be a little more thoughtful in your questions so we know how to help and perhaps give us your thoughts so we get an idea of why exactly you’re asking this question. Best wishes, Ollie

Larry S and Mark020 like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 21, 2021

Please post photos here as well.

5. Melanieds Oct 21, 2021

I’d forgotten how, erm, blunt people can be on here. It was a follow on from my previous post where people advised me not to buy the watch I was looking at, and I should perhaps have put it on that thread. I was asking if people think it is a fair price, and a genuine (not redialled) watch. But maybe I’ll post further queries on the other thread I posted.

I like it but think it’s a bit expensive.

6. TexOmega Oct 21, 2021

Research first, explain your findings and conclusions THEN ask for opinions.

Waltesefalcon and Mark020 like this.
  7. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 21, 2021

It’s just a case of helping us to help you. Why would people who have spent years learning about watches want to help someone who doesn’t even have the time to introduce the watch or their interest in it. Or even the purpose of the purchase? If we know details we can help you better. We might give a different comment for someone who is looking to buy a watch as a gift or because they have “fallen in love” with a particular watch than if someone is buying for strictly for originality and collectibility or indeed as an investment.

Not only that but when a watch excites me I want to learn about it! So most users here like myself do our research before we go and ask questions - it shows you’re a real enthusiast and that we’re not all wasting people’s time just sending across every other watch that falls within your budget.

8. Melanieds Oct 21, 2021

I’ve edited the original post. Thank you for your comments. I have tried to delete this thread but can’t find an option.

9. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 21, 2021

Grotesquely overpriced. Redial.
    Here’s a similar one with an original dial significantly cheaper: A0E98EB8-90DE-4E23-867F-83AF4A94A3E9.png

ahartfie likes this.
  10. Melanieds Oct 21, 2021

Thank you. What search term did you put in to find that?

11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Oct 21, 2021

I can’t answer for Ollie but if you haven’t used it yet, Curvex would be a good keyword to add to your searches.

Melanieds likes this.
  12. TimeODanaos Oct 21, 2021

Ollie - please help Melanie and others learning here: I see no "Swiss" on the OP dial; what are the other redial tells here?
    Melanie - really sad to hear about the lost Longines: but what characteristics do you want to fill that space with? E.g. round, square, tank, curvex? Rough period? Maybe some of those things don't matter so much, some are vital - I personally wouldn't replace the memory of a departed S/S watch with GP, so I was slightly thrown by your OP example - but it's such a subjective thing though. All this will help focus your hunt and your researches - good luck!

Melanieds likes this.
  13. Melanieds Oct 21, 2021

Thanks :) 50s or 60s; stainless steel, white face, is what I am ideally looking for. Open to face shape. I thought the OP link looked steel (despite the “gf” marking) but I can now see there is a misleading light on it :(

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  14. Dan S Oct 21, 2021

I also have the impression that the dial on the OP watch is repainted. The watch is gold-filled, not steel, and in fact I think I see some brassing. All things considered, I'm not finding the watch very appealing, especially given the asking price.

I think there is a nice rectangular clamshell Eterna listed on OF. Right, here it is. Not the original crown though and maybe earlier than you wanted:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ete...lamshell-case-from-1931-art-deco-dial.137772/

OllieOnTheRocks and Melanieds like this.
  15. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 21, 2021

Thank you for providing some context - I am sorry your father's Longines was stolen - Do recall the case shape, or whether it had numeric or non numeric indices?

Using terms from your original advert that you shared I found this example on google. 1950s, 10k Gold filled Longines. Something along those lines. This is the easiest way to find other models, and we can make a good judgement of whether the watch is similar by looking at the pictures.

For me in this example it is the subdial that looks suspicious to me, it just looks very sloppy. In contrast the example I provided is neat and clean and edges are precise. Spotting a redial, almost becomes instinctual after years of looking at watches, it's not always easy to tell them apart. We can forgive a minor detail if everything else is perfect, but on this one I am confident it is a redial.

Good luck in your search.

Mark020 and TimeODanaos like this.
  16. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Oct 22, 2021

My first thought on looking at the original gold-filled watch was that it had been redialed with mascara.
    Look at the cross-strokes on the Ns in Longines. See how they're different? Uneven ink application/thickness is usually a red redial flag.

Longines Mascara for MelanieDS.jpg

Look at the 12, 3, 6, 9 markers on the small seconds subdial. See how they slightly extend from the frame and generally look smudged?

Longines Mascara for MelanieDS2.jpg

lcolors1 likes this.
  17. TimeODanaos Oct 22, 2021

^ This!

18. lcolors1 Oct 22, 2021

Why don’t you just not be a prick?

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 22, 2021

One rule I apply when reviewing a watch on eBay is to get suspicious when the description starts to get overlong and borders on verbiage.
    I find that the profuse praises of a particular watch often divert from the fact that there are issues not disclosed.

A quick look at the dial on the OP watch and seeing the eBay description would lead me to quickly pass on it.

Heavytrevy, Larry S and Mark020 like this.
  20. Melanieds Oct 23, 2021

JiminOz - that’s an interesting point. And OllieontheRocks - thanks for explaining your views on the dial. My last expensive error (which took several weeks to unpick) was due to a bad redial, which I failed to spot, so am trying to get better at spotting these things.

ahartfie likes this.