Thoughts for newer watch collector and white dial watches

Been reading the forum for a while, first post. Slowly starting a watch collection and was curious to get some thoughts from everyone here.

Dad got me a Raymond Weil in 1999 for my 21st bday. Wore that watch about every day for 17-18 years. Still runs like a top! Real small though…guessing 34mm. Definitely some sentimental value, and I plan to turn it into a home office display piece this year.

My first nicer watch I got was a Tag F1, which I got 6-7 years ago as work anniversary gift. Looks almost the exact same as todays F1. Been an awesome watch, turned into my daily wear the last few years. Put on a nato strap earlier this year which I think is a good look for the watch.

Got my first ‘luxury’ watch earlier this year, with an Omega Seamaster 300m diver in blue. Swapped out the steel bracelet (which just felt fat and chunky on my little wrist) for the stainless steel mesh. Totally in love with this watch, and the bracelet has drawn some compliments (not why I did it, but always kind of nice). Looks a lot like the 007 version. On my wrist, I can just tell this is a luxury watch and made incredibly well. Great purchase.

So now of course, I’ve caught the bug and am thinking about what’s next…

I feel like my next move is a white dial watch that can be a little dressy to wear with suits and sport coats, but also works with jeans and something more casual. I absolutely love the Rolex OP 39 in white. So clean, classic, and nice size for my smallish wrist too. I also like how it’s an understated Rolex. The drawback is, grey market is my only option as they discontinued it. And if I want it new (which I do), it’s $11-$12k. Woof. I also know I could get a Datejust 41 in white, but I just haven’t gotten there with the cyclops. It just screams 80s Rolex to me. Not trying to offend those who like it (and as I hit 45, the legibility is kinda nice), I just don’t know that it’s for me.

The other white dial I’m considering is the white Globemaster, which I’d get on the dark grey leather strap I think. I feel like this watch looks so much better on leather than steel bracelet and I can’t explain why. Pie pan is interesting, and the jump hour setting is super appealing to me as I travel across time zones a lot for work. That said, I can’t understand why this watch costs so much more than my Diver. $8k feels like $2k too much.

Worth noting - I’m on the list with my AD for a new Air King. First time I saw this watch I thought it was just so cool. And then reading how so many people think it sucks almost made me like it more. It’s just super unique and interesting to me. But she said I may be 18-24 months out.

I feel like my 300m, one of the white dial watches, and then an Air King would be an awesome 3 watch luxury collection. And I would still have my F1 too, which I currently wear when I golf, to sporting events, stuff like that. And then down the road if I want to add a field watch or just an over the top watch (for me), then I can.

So a few asks of the group
  • would love your thoughts on how I’m approaching a collection. New to this, would love to learn from others .
  • Thoughts on white globemaster vs OP39 vs DJ41. I also like the white Aqua Terra, but my good buddy just got one so that’s not an option for me unfortunately (he also has a blue 300m diver lol)
  • I don’t want any watches that are too close (i.e. I don’t want a Sub or Tudor dive watch as I already have my Diver 300m), but welcome thoughts on something I’m not considering.
At this point, I’d want to stay below $10k for sure on any watch.

Appreciate any thoughts here, and thanks for humoring me!

The polar white 16570 seems to tick off a lot of boxes for you, and it fits in the budget and is easy to find. It's a great travel watch, too, with two timezones and the hour-jump complication.

IMG_0553.jpg

Like 9
OP: Welcome to the forum!

Seems like you've put quite a bit of thought into what you're looking for. You know what you don't like, and I think that's important. If you know you don't like the cyclops, I don't expect that buying a cyclops watch and trying to "get to like it" is going to solve the problem (I can't really speak for you but when I've tried doing this it hasn't worked!).

Honestly, it sounds to me like the OP is your ideal white dial watch. If you spend 6 to 8k today on a different white dial, are you eventually going to chase down a white OP anyway, and if so, what happens to the other white dial watch? Do you ever wear it again? Very much a thought process worth pursuing.

Regarding your watch collection: I don't think there's a wrong way to go about collecting watches. You have a purpose outlined for what they're supposed to be for, and that's great.

Like 1
The Globemaster is an excellent watch it is just not popular. You can likely pick up a pre-owned if patient.
Here is a dressy white dial to look at.16936861889091764366733377519364.jpg

Like 2
What I’m hearing is white dial, potentially dressy, and that although bracelets are ok (since you’re considering the OP—fantastic watch), you’re not a “bracelet person,” per se, since you’re willing to experiment with NATOs and the like.

If you’re open to leather strap watches, there are some phenomenal choices. The Omega 1948 Seamaster watches are gorgeous and not terribly hard to find, I don’t think.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/seamaster/heritage-models/seamaster-1948/product

I’d be all over one of those.

And although it’s definitely not cheap, the JLC Master Control has a serious claim to being the most underrated watch out there—a top manufacture, and a piece that goes with anything, including just about any strap you could throw at it.

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us.../master-control-date-stainless-steel-q4018420

Like 2
A rolex 15000 for the beginning. By the way, the cosmograph daytonas are overvalued.

Been reading the forum for a while, first post. Slowly starting a watch collection and was curious to get some thoughts from everyone here.

Dad got me a Raymond Weil in 1999 for my 21st bday. Wore that watch about every day for 17-18 years. Still runs like a top! Real small though…guessing 34mm. Definitely some sentimental value, and I plan to turn it into a home office display piece this year.

My first nicer watch I got was a Tag F1, which I got 6-7 years ago as work anniversary gift. Looks almost the exact same as todays F1. Been an awesome watch, turned into my daily wear the last few years. Put on a nato strap earlier this year which I think is a good look for the watch.

Got my first ‘luxury’ watch earlier this year, with an Omega Seamaster 300m diver in blue. Swapped out the steel bracelet (which just felt fat and chunky on my little wrist) for the stainless steel mesh. Totally in love with this watch, and the bracelet has drawn some compliments (not why I did it, but always kind of nice). Looks a lot like the 007 version. On my wrist, I can just tell this is a luxury watch and made incredibly well. Great purchase.

So now of course, I’ve caught the bug and am thinking about what’s next…

I feel like my next move is a white dial watch that can be a little dressy to wear with suits and sport coats, but also works with jeans and something more casual. I absolutely love the Rolex OP 39 in white. So clean, classic, and nice size for my smallish wrist too. I also like how it’s an understated Rolex. The drawback is, grey market is my only option as they discontinued it. And if I want it new (which I do), it’s $11-$12k. Woof. I also know I could get a Datejust 41 in white, but I just haven’t gotten there with the cyclops. It just screams 80s Rolex to me. Not trying to offend those who like it (and as I hit 45, the legibility is kinda nice), I just don’t know that it’s for me.

The other white dial I’m considering is the white Globemaster, which I’d get on the dark grey leather strap I think. I feel like this watch looks so much better on leather than steel bracelet and I can’t explain why. Pie pan is interesting, and the jump hour setting is super appealing to me as I travel across time zones a lot for work. That said, I can’t understand why this watch costs so much more than my Diver. $8k feels like $2k too much.

Worth noting - I’m on the list with my AD for a new Air King. First time I saw this watch I thought it was just so cool. And then reading how so many people think it sucks almost made me like it more. It’s just super unique and interesting to me. But she said I may be 18-24 months out.

I feel like my 300m, one of the white dial watches, and then an Air King would be an awesome 3 watch luxury collection. And I would still have my F1 too, which I currently wear when I golf, to sporting events, stuff like that. And then down the road if I want to add a field watch or just an over the top watch (for me), then I can.

So a few asks of the group
  • would love your thoughts on how I’m approaching a collection. New to this, would love to learn from others .
  • Thoughts on white globemaster vs OP39 vs DJ41. I also like the white Aqua Terra, but my good buddy just got one so that’s not an option for me unfortunately (he also has a blue 300m diver lol)
  • I don’t want any watches that are too close (i.e. I don’t want a Sub or Tudor dive watch as I already have my Diver 300m), but welcome thoughts on something I’m not considering.
At this point, I’d want to stay below $10k for sure on any watch.

Appreciate any thoughts here, and thanks for humoring me!
It is all very personal of course. But my dressier white dial watch is a Cartier tank solo XL. Maybe that is something to consider.

Hey all, thanks for all the links, thoughts and pics of your watches. Definitely gives me some stuff to think about, and really appreciate some alternatives suggested.

Id really like to see some of the OPs/DJs ‘in the metal’. I live in a mediums sized city, and we have only one Rolex AD and their in house supply is extremely limited right now unfortunately. May need to carve out time on an upcoming work trip to try a few on to see what my ideal size is.

Any other thoughts from the forum, please do share!

I am also looking at my next piece being a white dial watch. My ideal one would be the EXP II Polar. The DJ 41 is interesting but might actually prefer the AT over the DJ41. That is not decided. Not a huge fan of the bracelet on the AT so would probably replace with leather and deployant.

Have you considered the Cartier Santos? That is a nice watch and has a great strap change system.

Definitely the Globemaster! Easily available new and used for half the price of a Rolex?

omega-constellation-globemaster-13030392102001-l.png

Like 1
The Globemaster does not have a white dial. It is officially “opaline silver”, in harsh white artificial light in a boutique it will look off-white but in natural light and non-white light it is actually a pale silver with flecks of yellow, gray and blue. In direct sunlight it is definitely a metallic silver. I know I have one. That may change your decision making process.

Like 1
I'm also a sucker for white dials. Here are my three. Not sure these hit your targets, but they are affordable and striking in design IMO.
IMG_8515.jpg

Like 1
The Globemaster does not have a white dial. It is officially “opaline silver”, in harsh white artificial light in a boutique it will look off-white but in natural light and non-white light it is actually a pale silver with flecks of yellow, gray and blue. In direct sunlight it is definitely a metallic silver. I know I have one. That may change your decision making process.

Very interesting, I hope you post pics taken in different lighting.

Quoted member kgb
I'm also a sucker for white dials. Here are my three. Not sure these hit your targets, but they are affordable and striking in design IMO.
IMG_8515.jpg

I like that Junghans Max Bill, a real classic.

Like 2