Thoughts about this Omega Seamaster 300 165.024

Hi OF members,

I would like to get some advice on the authenticity of this Omega Seamaster 300 165.024.

I had referred to https://www.omegaseamaster300.com/ as my basis for comparison.

The following are key points I had noted about the watch.
1. The bezel seems to be similar to the bezel shown below. i.e. 1967 period.
upload_2021-1-22_23-42-45.png

I had also noted that the bezel had some little spots, which looked like the color in the bezel had "peeled" off?
Around the 45 to 47 minute markers on the bezel. Is this normal?
Please refer to the third image.

2. The crown seems to be a serviced replacement, from what I recalled.
*I had forgotten to snap a shot of the crown for your viewing pleasure.

3. I noted that the dial on this watch does not match with any of the dials represented on the website.
But I did find a similar watch which was sold previously, which had a similar dial, and which falls within the 1960 period.
https://www.acollectedman.com/produ...er-300-165024-steel-watch?variant=21152961667

4. Lastly, from what I understood from the seller, the movement serial number is within the 22million range, which according to the omegaseamaster300 website, indicates that the movement period is in 1965.
*I believe there was a typo on the website, as it is showing the year 1665.
upload_2021-1-22_23-59-47.png

From what I can infer, this seems to be authentic?

Please refer to the images attached below for some reference.

Can any OF members shed some light on this?
Or provide some pointers on what I should look out for?
Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Regards,
Kevin

Looks like a Watchco to me, or maybe just built from a kit, but let the experts weigh in. (Watchco = modern build using genuine omega parts)

I agree with 140dave. The case looks new and the dial a luminova version see my watchco as an example. Note that the movement will be from the ´60´s, it´s the rest of the watch that is modern. The movement in mine is from 1965 I think, but Watchco put it together a couple of years ago. It´s an excellent watch but not an original Omega Seamaster fro the
1960´s
P1050123.JPG

Exactly, looks like an assembly of one form or another, the majority of which have a movement which probably started out life in a Seamaster dress watch or something other than a 300. Avoid.

I think these definitely have their own charm and make for a daily wearer with less worry about damaging a vintage watch and affecting it's value. If that works for you and the price is right, then go for it.

Exactly, looks like an assembly of one form or another, the majority of which have a movement which probably started out life in a Seamaster dress watch or something other than a 300. Avoid.

Fair point, the seamaster dress watches do use similar movement. i.e. calibre 552.

I think these definitely have their own charm and make for a daily wearer with less worry about damaging a vintage watch and affecting it's value. If that works for you and the price is right, then go for it.

Yea, I had taken that into consideration as well. I will see if the price is right. 😀

Agreed, and just a few years ago these kit watches were decent value for money for what they are, normally to be found around the €2K mark when an original 300 165.024 was starting for probably around double that.

These days the sellers of the kit watches seem to have it in their heads that €4k and up is an acceptable price. I disagree strongly and don't agree that there should an upward trajectory on these following the vintage 300 market.

Agreed, and just a few years ago these kit watches were decent value for money for what they are, normally to be found around the €2K mark when an original 300 165.024 was starting for probably around double that.

These days the sellers of the kit watches seem to have it in their heads that €4k and up is an acceptable price. I disagree strongly and don't agree that there should an upward trajectory on these following the vintage 300 market.
I believe the market will find the level they should be at.
However, I am worried that the watchco version could appear at auction and for sale as 60´s seamaster 300´s because the movements are correct for that period and the auction houses wont look any further than that.

Yea, I noticed the price hike as well. Compared to the price then and now, the offered price is around €5k. Does that sound reasonable?

Yea, I noticed the price hike as well. Compared to the price then and now, the offered price is around €5k. Does that sound reasonable?

No, it sounds ridiculous. Especially so if, as suspected, it is a bunch of parts with a random 552 inside. For me a watch like this is worth the same as a few years ago, a couple thousand €.

Even if it came with an Extract and the movement is from a 300, it's still a watch that looks like a bunch of service parts and I would value it as such, certainly nowhere near €5K

No, it sounds ridiculous. Especially so if, as suspected, it is a bunch of parts with a random 552 inside. Even if it came with an Extract and the movement is from a 300, it's still a watch that looks like a bunch of service parts. For me a watch like this is worth the same as a few years ago, a couple thousand €
Thanks for the input.

I could probably sell these "Watchco style SMs" all day long at €3000 for a freshly built, unmarked, fully serviced example with a warranty. A lot of people write to me about them as I must have one on Instagram. Date or no date, probably the same and that would be for the head without a bracelet.

With very light wear, probably €2500 but, when they get very marked, I suspect the price will be well below €2000. I'm not sure the example you have shown has damage to the bezel as you suspect. Still, the price is very high...

I think I have a date model here that I hardly wear these days and might sell that soon.

Cheers, Chris

Appreciate everyone's input, looks like this will be a hard pass. 😁

I could probably sell these "Watchco style SMs" all day long at €3000 for a freshly built, unmarked, fully serviced example with a warranty. A lot of people write to me about them as I must have one on Instagram. Date or no date, probably the same and that would be for the head without a bracelet.

With very light wear, probably €2500 but, when they get very marked, I suspect the price will be well below €2000. I'm not sure the example you have shown has damage to the bezel as you suspect. Still, the price is very high...

I think I have a date model here that I hardly wear these days and might sell that soon.

Cheers, Chris
Thanks for the input Chris. Do hit me up if you have these models available, as I am looking for a nice Seamaster 300, and I do not mind the watch being a "Watchco style Seamaster".

€5K will buy you a really good, vintage 166.024.

Passed on it

Would vouch for Bags1971. Bought one off him last year, as he turns one out every now & again. Prices are going up though. 😉