Forums Latest Members
  1. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 11, 2019

billving, aap, FREDMAYCOIN and 5 others like this.
  2. MarktheTime Dec 11, 2019

Yes, saw it earlier and agree it will be interesting to see what pops up for sale (although the Paris premium will undoubtedly be in FULL effect - mon dieu!). That square Uni alone is :thumbsup: ...

Anyone have any guesses as to who the collector is/was? (and trust me, it ain't me - my 8 UG pieces are nowhere near 80!!!!).

aap, Mark020 and filmir like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2019

Prepare to hug your collections and thank merciful goodness that you got in when you did. Still ... Interesting.

aap, MarktheTime and filmir like this.
  4. Dan S Dec 11, 2019

So you think that 80 pieces coming fresh to market will INCREASE prices? ::stirthepot::

billving likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2019

Didn't say that. If these are 80 safe queens at retail, prepare for watery eyes.

Woops, billving and MarktheTime like this.
  6. MarktheTime Dec 11, 2019

The individual who posted on Instagram is employed by Antoine de Macedo's vintage watch boutique in Paris. ADM manages to source some incredible pieces - and isn't shy about asking stratospheric prices for them. I know from personal experience (I undoubtedly "overpaid" for one of my Tri-Compax, but the original asking price was nothing short of laughable/horrifying)...

billving and Mark020 like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2019

I have started following because well, I love pain. :confused:

Lotus_Eater8815, DaveK, aap and 2 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2019

We all know these collections are out there. Occasionally we get to snag one or two that escapes the vaults. They are never cheap.

9. jsducote Dec 11, 2019

le sigh ... year-end bonus is still far away

kip595 and Larry S like this.
  10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 12, 2019

Asked 2 times for asking price and got one answer. Prices was about 2x market. Anyway: in Paris everything is expensive.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 12, 2019

I went on their site and was pretty not surprised at the pricing. Gotta pay those overheads. I am looking fwd however to see what they have.

billving and Mark020 like this.
  12. jsducote Dec 12, 2019

I'm announcing it now: I will be opening a boutique on the moon. Prices will, of course, be astronomical but it'll be justified because of my overhead. First location in the good part of the Sea of Tranquility. :D

djmusicman, rolokr and Larry S like this.
  13. billving Dec 12, 2019

They are so far out of market for stuff it's crazy. I actually visited his shop in the summer of 2017 (great place) and some of the pieces that I looked at and dickered with him on are STILL THERE! He must sell something because he's been around a while but just crazy on many things.

14. billving Dec 12, 2019

Sorry, summer of 2018 visit.

15. filmir Jan 30, 2020

16. billving Jan 30, 2020

Different dealer

17. Walrus Jan 30, 2020

Drifting off topic but I had one watch for sale locally. Got a guy who was telling me everything thing I said about my watch was wrong even though I had it in front of me. He said it was definitely 35 mm even though it’s 38. His “research” told him it was a 250 watch although the one in much worse condition he showed me, that was 35mm had the price purposely blocked out. I told him I just had it serviced last week and it has a one year guarantee on the work and I could provide the documentation.

I told him I’m not a flipper I just sell a couple on occasion to fund a new purchase. He told me he isn’t a flipper either but then said he sold 30 watches last week and proceeded to try to sell me a Rolex. I don’t begrudge anyone on how they make a buck but let’s not BS each other. I took my watch down even though I received a fair offer from someone else. Dealers give me the opportunity to purchase things but I really dislike when they play that, your watch is no good until they own it and it becomes a “fantastic example” NOS without box or papers.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 30, 2020

Never sell to a dealer. Their profit depends on buying low and selling high. There is a FS Compax on sale on E-Bay, good bones, messed up crystal. I shudder to think about what that dealer said to Original owner’s family to get that watch.

19. Walrus Jan 30, 2020

I agree 100% but since I do my selling locally I don’t know until I get in txt or phone discussion. But I wade through the idiots and low ballers and when I find a collector it’s always a pleasure dealing with them. Meeting up usually turns into a 20-30 minute hanging out talking about watches. I don’t sell here as most of the stuff I have is on the basic omega or other brand level and the few pieces I have that may be worthy of a sales spot here I’ll never sell.