Forums Latest Members

New Swatch x (Swatch Group Brand) may be coming

1. Omega_Maaan Sep 1, 2023

I saw this posted on WatchTime this morning. It looks like there may be a new Swatch-ified watch coming 9 September 2023. My assumption is that it will be waterproofed, which fits with the image posted in the Swiss newspaper(s), but I'm curious to see what brand and model it takes after.

Edited: A Swatch PloProf would actually be pretty cool since a Seamaster seems like an obvious guess.

Link to WatchTime article: https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-industry-news/someones-up-to-something/

____________________________________________________________________________

Swatch_Ad_Temps-2048x1398.jpg
    Aroxx likes this.
  2. NT931 Sep 1, 2023

McKnife and Syrte like this.
  3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 1, 2023

Looks like it will have a rotating bezel, with giant grippy things on it.

PloSwatch?

P.O.Swatch?

DeepSwatch?

300mSwatch?

4. TDBK Sep 1, 2023

On the Moonswatch logo, the surrounding circle resembles the crown of a Speedmaster:
    9E7DAAC2-9B56-4FC9-AA51-C2CA4BE812E3.jpeg
    [​IMG]

And that this tease resembles the crown of a Fifty Fathoms:
    2302356_sw6_right_full.jpg

Make of it what you will.

(Not my photos.)

Geme81, Aludic, McKnife and 3 others like this.
  5. Watch my Whisky Sep 1, 2023

Swatch x Harry Winston

6. Caliber561 Sep 1, 2023

Is the Fifty Fathoms even popular enough to warrant a collab? I've never seen one in the wild, and it seems so gaudy with the branding on the side...

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 2, 2023

IMG_0874.png
    Geme81, McKnife and jsducote like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 2, 2023

Doesn’t need to be popular IMHO, it was ground breaking and created the modern military dive watch with rotating bezel (along perhaps with Rolex submariner, both created in 1953 - I’m sure they will
    Compete for credit). Also don’t forget the Cousteau connection which taps into the adventure theme.

Moonswatch got people’s attention, they could lap up the story.

Similarly, the Bulova UDT prototype was only known to a group of very niche collectors— having been first discovered and analysed on the Military Watch Ressource forum (to which I belong). Now with Instagram everyone became an overnight expert on it.

See below- picture credits:
    -Elgin Canteen Watch @Billy from MWR
    -Blancpain fifty Fathoms - Ebay seller
    -Bulova Mil-ship UDT - Bulova

IMG_0875.jpeg IMG_0876.png IMG_0877.jpeg
  9. abrod520 Sep 2, 2023

Don't forget the Zodiac Seawolf, same time frame.

In any case, while Blancpain's history and contributions to watchmaking are bona fide, they have not been doing a very good job of late. The lineup is too large (the only sub-44mm Fifty Fathoms models are LEs for Hodinkee and the like) and way too expensive for what you get.

While a Swatch version is sure to put them in the sorely needed spotlight, it will not be as successful as the Moonswatch was for Omega simply because Omega has great products to offer to those whose attention they gained; Blancpain, currently, does not.

Syrte, noelekal, McKnife and 2 others like this.
  10. spacemission Sep 2, 2023

The bilis is ready by the antis.

11. Aroxx Sets his watch Sep 2, 2023

This could be exactly the reason for the collaboration. Bring some attention to try and boost the brand.

Aludic, Syrte and studeb like this.
  12. studeb Sep 2, 2023

So fifty fathoms three hand dive with rotating bezel
    bioceramic?
    Automatic or quartz?
    What about colourways? One per ocean or sea?

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 2, 2023

Swatch x Blancpain = (more) SwatchPain

:D

14. KeithS Sep 2, 2023

The brand is totally mismanaged. Blancpain is obviously capable of making a reasonably sized and aesthetically pleasing sports watch – just look at the recently release Air Command. I cannot think of a single reason for them to not make a 42 mm or smaller, non-limited edition Fifty Fathoms. I'd take that over a Submariner any day. But you're totally right, people are going to look up Blancpain if this is indeed a Swatch x Blancpain collab and think to themselves, those are some fugly watches...

15. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 2, 2023

Yes, I think you're onto something. Look out for the No RadiationSwatch.

16. HamDoctor Sep 2, 2023

The Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe (REF: 5100 1140 O52A) is 38mm, though. So there is a non-LE Fifty Fathoms ... but yes, most of their offerings in that sector are landmine-sized wrist anchors.

https://www.blancpain.com/en/fifty-fathoms/bathyscaphe-5100-1140-o52a

Having a Swatch x Blancpain will be "interesting", thanks everyone for what seems to be well-founded speculation!

But with all the goodwill lost after the Swatch x Omega thing (I'm leaning towards calling it a "debacle"), I don't see this doing anything positive. Likely just another mismanaged scalper-fest for another overpriced item lacking quality ... while saying it was never supposed to be quality ... and somehow, still great for advertising in this weird world we're living in.

17. Evitzee Sep 2, 2023

I think you would be in the minority to call the Swarch Omega mashup a debacle. It wasn't my cup-of-tea but the market enthusiastically gave it a thumbs up. Blancpain is a pretty moribund brand, this kind of publicity won't hurt them.

Edited Sep 2, 2023
  18. pdxleaf ... Sep 2, 2023

The fifty fathoms has the most beautiful bezel ever made, IMO.

Screenshot_20230902_121342_Samsung Internet.jpg

It is unfathomable why they would try to turn this into a Swatch. It might be excusable as a watch for a toddler.

noelekal and McKnife like this.
  19. Caliber561 Sep 2, 2023

The bezel is nice, but the case sizing and the needless branding on the side just seems so dated. I get that there are still people who like large watches, but this thing seems stuck in the early 2000s.

Scarecrow Boat, Aludic and McKnife like this.
  20. ekallus Sep 3, 2023

If I was a betting man, my money would be on them releasing a Swatch Bathyscaphe version. It would be the easiest version to orchestrate...