Forums Latest Members

What should I price a custom RGM and would people be interested in this watch

1. Faulkner's maze Dec 4, 2020

Hi all-
    I figured this may be a good forum to test out a couple of questions. Currently I own a custom made RGM watch-based on a valjoux 7751. Real grand feu Enamel dial. 38.5 w/o measuring lugs.
    Built in 2016.

There are three out there total that was based on this design.
    The only reason I am selling it is to potentially upgrade to another watch. Although they are offering a trade in value -I am trying to see if I can get more on the open market. Right now they have it. Either it will be traded in or serviced before being sold.

This is NOT an offer to sell but rather to collect information to whether take the trade in value or not.

just wary of selling on eBay or chrono24 although ebays new authenticity guarantee making it a little more palatable.

Be interested in what people think in terms of interest and pricing. I am thinking 6-7k range but I see so many unrealistic asking prices on vintage watches that I do want to be fair on pricing.

TIA

B04C3906-48BA-4845-9033-615AB640EB9C.png 07A56B09-6A79-4C31-ABF1-8968C4FD9251.png
  2. asrnj77 Dec 4, 2020

To be fair, this isn’t a vintage watch. It’s something that was custom made in 2016 as you mentioned. If anybody is offering anywhere near 6-7k for this on a trade in I would jump on it. I just think the market is going to be very small and soft for this watch. That being said I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the value you’re seeking.
    Out of curiosity, what does this watch cost new?

3. Faulkner's maze Dec 4, 2020

Thanks for your input. Apologize for not being clear as I did not mean to compare this watch against vintage watches per se, but rather make the point that many watches in the vintage market are being sold for way over what I think they should be IMHO.

I was just trying to figure out a valid selling point on a watch to which I have no comparison and not be another a-hole on the internet trying to get an unrealistic sell price.

To buy this new, it would be about 9k, maybe a little less as RGM no longer needs to redesign the dial. It does take though 6-8 months though to have it built.

if the trade value was even close to that, I would take it, but it is substantially less.

4. Evitzee Dec 4, 2020

It's a nice looking watch, but the main thing it has going for it is the fired enamel dial. If new price is around $9k you aren't likely to get anything close to $6-7k for a watch with a Valjoux 7751 based movement in a steel case. I think you'd be in the $3k-4k range at the most, but this kind of watch is hard to price.

Edited Dec 5, 2020
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 4, 2020

It’s $8k new. Its V 7753. List at $5k but I’m with @Evitzee on expected return. Make sure you get some sunny shots on that dial. Were it an in house movement, this would be a different discussion. The base watch is just a little north of $4K new.

6. Dan S Dec 4, 2020

I agree with the above, why would someone buy a V7751 chronograph for $6k, let alone 9K? It looks like a nice enough watch, but I'm not seeing anything particularly special to justify those prices.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 4, 2020

The grand feu dial is just amazing. It’s not a rational purchase.

Joe_A, Faulkner's maze and Dan S like this.
  8. Faulkner's maze Dec 4, 2020

If it was an in-house movement be a much different story indeed.

9. Faulkner's maze Dec 4, 2020

Essentially that’s what’s being offered on the trade in. If I am getting the same estimates on this forum I might just take the money and roll with it and avoid dealing with the hassles of selling it myself. Especially EBay these days. Scam galore on both sides of the fence. I have given up on them.

Larry S likes this.
  10. Faulkner's maze Dec 4, 2020

Thanks for the correction on movement. Mine was a little higher due to the design costs of the first one. He has another piece also substantially less than if a new watch was made with new dial.

11. Faulkner's maze Dec 4, 2020

It is definitely not!

12. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Dec 5, 2020

seems like resale value is soft with rgm. whenever i see a 300 diver being sold it seems to take a big hit

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 5, 2020

His in house movements hold value pretty well if you can ever find one for sale. The watches with ETA etc. not so much just like everyone else’s.

14. Faulkner's maze Dec 5, 2020

Concur with Larry S. Also other rare movements -he had a minute repeater that went for 110,000 CHF at auction. But Larry S. brings up a valid point that I need to consider in the future.