Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

We don’t stick o on everything we also stick ie on shitloads of stuff truckie = truck driver, bikie = motorcycle gang member, tinnie = small aluminium boat or the more frequently used can of beer
As to why we do it………because we can!
We real Aussies prefer not to use many Americanisms as we are quite capable of effectively butchering the English language all by ourselves!
I went to the Roosters/Sea Eagles game last weekend -- there was a bloke next to me who kept on shouting "Come on Brownie"....

You kids with your fancy machines. Back in my day, we only had an abacus.

il_794xN.3961933411_qrn6.jpg
Hmph. You had 0s and 1s; we just had os and ls.

You kids with your fancy machines. Back in my day, we only had an abacus.

il_794xN.3961933411_qrn6.jpg

Funnily enough my wife has a degree in abacus from her university days as learning to use an abacus was a vital part of being a degreed accountant.

Funny… mine was very different to yours.

IMG_4330.jpeg

😁

Oh! String theory ::facepalm1::
Edited:

Hand held light meters worked very much the same way- get the light reading and nul the scales which shows you all the variants of aperture/iso(asa)/shutter speed- you can see on the scales what adjustments will yield the correct exposure up or down and adjusting the scales changes those variables without effecting exposure.
The yungins at work marvel when I can tell them what their exposure will be (usually based on the sunny 16 rule) without looking through the camera and any variation of the three (iso/ap/sh) to control depth of feild by just visualizing the scales in my head- and accounting for fill flash. When I explain to them how that works it’s an ah-hah moment for them- they get it!
To me, the lack of understanding basics like this is not due to a lack of interest by the current generations, but a failure of our generation to share that wisdom with them as they learn.

When I first started photography back in the 1960's with developing your own photos in a darkroom you had to know your basics and know them damn well or you were just wasting your time not like nowadays when you do 10 or more FPS on a digital slr or mirrorless and who cares if 95% of them are misfocused crap or under/ overexposed as it's just an SD card deletion and they are gone and what's left you can salvage from post processing.

... nowadays when you do 10 or more FPS on a digital slr or mirrorless and who cares if 95% of them are misfocused crap or under/ overexposed as it's just an SD card deletion and they are gone and what's left you can salvage from post processing.

Thank goodness for progress! Godsend for action/BIF shots.

How to work a mechanical calculator, if I may add one to the list...

A 10-row Burroughs like this one was provided me when I started as a teller at First National Bank Fort Worth in 1975.

deliveryService

For many “professionals” as well. Some of the yungins we have at work graduated with BFA’s and MFA’s yet still don’t understand the concept of leading lines, rule of thirds, vanishing points, symmetry and balance.
I was assistant teaching an Artist Residency some years back for BFA and MFA photography students and these subjects came up when we were discussing composition. I noted that along with a few others one of the greats for these concepts Henri Cartier-Bresson and it was like I started talking another language, they had no idea of any of the photographers I mentioned. Still blows my mind how many "photographers" don't study or even think to look up some of the greats of photography. Probably could chalk it up to the the influence of phone cameras and social media on photography but still surprises me.

When I try to educate I get “yeah- yeah, of course I know”, but they keep fυcking it up and then couch it in “I was going for a look”. Last time I checked, sloppy and lazy was never a “look”. Just getting them to understand X,Y, Z axis and perspective is challenging.
In this case it’s not one of ignorance or ineptitude- it’s hubris- they can’t be told because they know better and won’t be bound by “rules”.
Ha! Had a professor once use the the "look" response as an example to state a point and they addressed it in the most wonderful and blunt way when describing poorly composed photos. He said "Going for a "look" or "that's my style" isn't a get out a jail free pass if the work isn't good....it's just shit work! So if you're gonna break the rules, you better make sure the images are f***ing beautiful!"

A great many metal trades have absolutely no idea how the read the markings of the heads of bolts anymore, for those of you who don’t know how to decipher the marking all quality bolts have various symbols and numbers on the heads to signify the strength properties and materials used in the bolts manufacture.
This is important as you wouldn’t want the replacement bolts to be of inferior quality, possibly causing catastrophic failure.

I was assistant teaching an Artist Residency some years back for BFA and MFA photography students and these subjects came up when we were discussing composition. I noted that along with a few others one of the greats for these concepts Henri Cartier-Bresson and it was like I started talking another language, they had no idea of any of the photographers I mentioned. Still blows my mind how many "photographers" don't study or even think to look up some of the greats of photography. Probably could chalk it up to the the influence of phone cameras and social media on photography but still surprises me.

Ha! Had a professor once use the the "look" response as an example to state a point and they addressed it in the most wonderful and blunt way when describing poorly composed photos. He said "Going for a "look" or "that's my style" isn't a get out a jail free pass if the work isn't good....it's just shit work! So if you're gonna break the rules, you better make sure the images are f***ing beautiful!"
I chalk this up to everyone gets a gold star, everyone is a starter, everyone is special. I’m gonna sound like an old fucker here at 51, but these “artist” snowflakes wouldn’t last a minute in my college crits without running out of the room crying.

I chalk this up to everyone gets a gold star, everyone is a starter, everyone is special. I’m gonna sound like an old fucker here at 51, but these “artist” snowflakes wouldn’t last a minute in my college crits without running out of the room crying.
I don't disagree with you but what do you think will happen over the next 20, 30 years with AI taking over much (most?) of the critical thinking skills we at least still possess? We could end up like the Eloi in The Time Machine, child like humanoids unable to fend for themselves and at the mercy of their keepers, the Morlocks.

I don't disagree with you but what do you think will happen over the next 20, 30 years with AI taking over much (most?) of the critical thinking skills we at least still possess? We could end up like the Eloi in The Time Machine, child like humanoids unable to fend for themselves and at the mercy of their keepers, the Morlocks.

I think more like the movie Idiocracy.

I think more like the movie Idiocracy.

I used to wonder: is the world going to end up more like 1984 or Brave New World? But, now, I'm pretty sure it'll be like Idiocracy.

But then, I work with a lot of young people and they constantly amaze me in a many positive ways, as much as I am worried about their inexperience and knowledge gaps.

I used to wonder: is the world going to end up more like 1984 or Brave New World? But, now, I'm pretty sure it'll be like Idiocracy.

But then, I work with a lot of young people and they constantly amaze me in a many positive ways, as much as I am worried about their inexperience and knowledge gaps.
We have 2 in the office who do incredible work- they came in green and picked up the process beautifully- modeled their style and practice after us veterans at first and then gradually started to incorporated their own vision- this is what I always hope for.

I think the difference between them and the others is they had less “professional” experience, were not graduated from “art” institutions and both truly have a passion for the history and processes of the craft.

We have 2 in the office who do incredible work- they came in green and picked up the process beautifully- modeled their style and practice after us veterans at first and then gradually started to incorporated their own vision- this is what I always hope for.

I think the difference between them and the others is they had less “professional” experience, were not graduated from “art” institutions and both truly have a passion for the history and processes of the craft.

Well I feel personally attacked. My wife and I both have MFAs. 😁

But to your point: I agree that we sometimes overemphasize formal education over trade education and apprenticeship, especially in fields where there is a lot of institutional knowledge and nuance to how the work is actually done. (But I guess even that might be a false dichotomy... An MD has to do a ton of book learning but then has to do residency to learn how the job is done with the complexities of real hospital operations).

My formal education gave me a broad range of artistic knowledge and critical thinking skills. And I have several current projects that actually require my art history knowledge. But, I learned much of the real day-to-day skills OTJ: how to write a proposal and find funding through grants; how to run and administer a project; and all the on-set and technical stuff (I never even touched a c-stand in school). I learned all that just by doing it at work.

I now have 12 people in my department, and several of them have no college degree but they are some of the best people on the team and outperform people with 4 year degrees. They have talent and drive and pick up new skills as they go - and they often exceed my technical skills. I spend a lot of my time looking at the big picture of projects and they are the type who will go home, read the manual on a piece of gear, watch 6 hours of YouTube tutorials, and then show me all the new features that we should integrate into our workflow.

I picked this up recently to decorate some shelf space. I doubt I’ll ever make time to learn how to use it, but it’s pretty to look at. I’ve seen a few people lately walking around with this style of camera - fun to see that.

IMG_8248.jpeg

Vintage cameras are certainly more ascetically pleasing than modern ones
IMG_8250.jpeg

Vintage cameras are certainly more ascetically pleasing than modern ones
I'm been doing amateur photography since my early teens. 35mm, medium format, stereo medium format with transparency film, B&W with darkroom time, large format (8x10!!), nikon DSLR, Fujifilm X100, pinhole, macro with Vivitar extension tubes, Nikkormats, etc.

Try doing a watch wristshot with any of the above.

I think cell phone cameras are fυcking amazing.
Edited:

I'm been doing amateur photography since my early teens. 35mm, medium format, stereo medium format with transparency film, B&W with darkroom time, large format (8x10!!), nikon DSLR, Fujifilm X100, pinhole, macro with Vivitar extension tubes, Nikkormats, etc.

Try doing a watch wristshot with any of the above.

I think cell phone cameras are fυcking amazing.

No argument from me, 2 weeks ago I bought an as new Canon 80D with many pro accessories ( it was gob smackingly cheap) and yesterday bought a 580EX II flash to go with it however I doubt that I will get much use out of it, I only got it for the experience of a Canon DSLR ( I use other brand DSLR/ mirrorless). My pocket smartphone/dslr gets 99.9% use as it's always with me and anonymous in a crowd.
Progression in smart phone cameras has been astounding, I am not one to say that they will ever supplant real DSLR's in technical mastery and quality output but all the same they are becoming rivals.
My next smart phone upgrade from my Xiaomi 11T Pro will be the Xiaomi 14 Ultra with 1 inch sensor, variable iris, optical zoom with Leica lenses and software integration.
Edited:

Work on/rebuild/tune a Rodchester QuadraJet. Or any carburetor for that matter.