Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

Work on/rebuild/tune a Rodchester QuadraJet. Or any carburetor for that matter.

Thats not really a skill that the vast majority of people would beneift from having. I reckon its been at least 25 years since you could buy a new car with a carb here.

I reckon its been at least 25 years since you could buy a new car with a carb here.
Probably closer to 35 or 40.

My grandfather's job was to "drive" the "fire truck". Except in his time the "fire truck" was a horse-drawn wagon hauling a cistern with a hand-pump.

And if it were on me to harness a train of draft horses to the wagon & pilot this to its destination, well, you would be waiting one helluva long damn time to get your fire put out...

Work on/rebuild/tune a Rodchester QuadraJet. Or any carburetor for that matter.
Never really liked the QuadraJet. I prefer Carters and Hollys to Rochesters.

My late father opened his business in 1946, 78 years ago. I’ve shown a picture of the adding machine he used. This one is called an Addometer. A mechanical adding machine. The one shown here is different to the one he had, but the principal was the same. I Never did learn how to make it work. Similar machines were made up to the early 1960s. These were operated by a metal stylus, applied in a manner similar to dialing a rotary telephone.

IMG_2388.jpeg

Follow a Fu🤬king sign that’s placed in front of them. At work and the amount of people standing under a sign with an arrow pointing yet ask where the exit, toilets whatever is.

Watched an idiot standing next to a no phones sign or a $5000 fine on his phone. Then get annoyed when questioned by customs officials that he didn’t know. 🤦

Same place, read and fill out a form. If your smart enough to travel yet can’t fill out a declaration card entering a country 🤦

Use a chainsaw.

One of my close friends is in surgery and may loose the 4th finger on his right hand.

Use a chainsaw.

One of my close friends is in surgery and may loose the 4th finger on his right hand.

Or even cut a limb. My neighbor borrowed my chainsaw and returned a bent, f'-d up piece of shit. Bought me a new one, though.

Jump start a car. I helped a lady in our parking garage the other day. She looked at me like I was a god 😉

Or even cut a limb.
Sure, it was a finger and not a limb, but please give his friend SOME credit for his effort.

Read.

I'm a college professor, and this is an alarming new trend. The percentage of freshmen who arrive on campus either 1) functionally illiterate; or 2) possessing such a hatred for reading that they won't read an assigned book, is shocking. It's far from the majority, thankfully, but it's still a surprise.

These students will go to great lengths to find summaries of any text and have AI read it to them. They won't even listen to the whole audio book, because they don't have the patience.

Read.

I'm a college professor, and this is an alarming new trend. The percentage of freshmen who arrive on campus either 1) functionally illiterate; or 2) possessing such a hatred for reading that they won't read an assigned book, is shocking. It's far from the majority, thankfully, but it's still a surprise.

These students will go to great lengths to find summaries of any text and have AI read it to them. They won't even listen to the whole audio book, because they don't have the patience.

Cell phones have made us very stupid 🙁

Cell phones have made us very stupid 🙁

Is it the cell phones?

Or

Have we chosen to become stupid?

Is it the cell phones?

Or

Have we chosen to become stupid?

Maybe by choice, but the smart phones helped a lot. Knowledge is, "out" only acceptable behaviour is consuming without thinking. You may know; sports results, fashion brands and celebrities. Any thing more you are a nerd. Yea, I work in education 😁