Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

true confetti-parades with ticker-tapes ,real Harleys and men, who have walked on the moon

confetti parade.jpg

Slide rules are obviously long obsolete, but it is clear to me that routine use of a slide rule reinforces a deep understanding of logarithms, which is helpful for mathematical intuition.
Hand held light meters worked very much the same way- get the light reading and nul the scales which shows you all the variants of aperture/iso(asa)/shutter speed- you can see on the scales what adjustments will yield the correct exposure up or down and adjusting the scales changes those variables without effecting exposure.
The yungins at work marvel when I can tell them what their exposure will be (usually based on the sunny 16 rule) without looking through the camera and any variation of the three (iso/ap/sh) to control depth of feild by just visualizing the scales in my head- and accounting for fill flash. When I explain to them how that works it’s an ah-hah moment for them- they get it!
To me, the lack of understanding basics like this is not due to a lack of interest by the current generations, but a failure of our generation to share that wisdom with them as they learn.

The generation coming through are lacking knowledge in the following:

Reading - 5 year olds have been seen swiping up and across the pages of a book to get to the next page 😵‍💫
Maths - 5 year olds have been seen trying to ring their parents by tapping the numbers on a calculator 🙄

Both true stories…

To me, the lack of understanding basics like this is not due to a lack of interest by the current generations, but a failure of our generation to share that wisdom with them as they learn.

That goes for most of the things in this thread.
Edited:

Hand held light meters worked very much the same way- get the light reading and nul the scales which shows you all the variants of aperture/iso(asa)/shutter speed- you can see on the scales what adjustments will yield the correct exposure up or down and adjusting the scales changes those variables without effecting exposure.
The yungins at work marvel when I can tell them what their exposure will be (usually based on the sunny 16 rule) without looking through the camera and any variation of the three (iso/ap/sh) to control depth of feild by just visualizing the scales in my head- and accounting for fill flash. When I explain to them how that works it’s an ah-hah moment for them- they get it!
This past summer I decided to try my hand at photography as a hobby. I bought a used Nikkon D7500, a few lenses, and set about trying to learn. By far the best resource I have had is a guy I know who was a professional photographer with fifty years of experience. His mentoring had helped ease the process. Now I just have to get good at obtaining clear action photos.

Why do Australians put an o on the end of everything? How did it come about in the first place?Does anyone actually pronounce the full word,or does everyone just cut every word to a minimum and just stick an o on the end?

Or a E

Monde
Tuesde
Wednesde
Thursde
Fride
Saturde
Sunde

say them…….and you will work out you don’t really need the whole word.

This past summer I decided to try my hand at photography as a hobby. I bought a used Nikkon D7500, a few lenses, and set about trying to learn. By far the best resource I have had is a guy I know who was a professional photographer with fifty years of experience. His mentoring had helped ease the process. Now I just have to get good at obtaining clear action photos.

This. WhenI bought my first SLR 15 years ago I took an adult evening class in photography and it was brilliant actually learning the theory from someone who knew the theory and could explain it.

The theory of composition is much harder though...!
Edited:

This. WhenI bought my first SLR 15 years ago I took an adult evening class in photography and it was brilliant actually learning the theory from someone who knew the theory and could explain it.

The theory of composition is much harder though...!
For many “professionals” as well. Some of the yungins we have at work graduated with BFA’s and MFA’s yet still don’t understand the concept of leading lines, rule of thirds, vanishing points, symmetry and balance. When I try to educate I get “yeah- yeah, of course I know”, but they keep fυcking it up and then couch it in “I was going for a look”. Last time I checked, sloppy and lazy was never a “look”. Just getting them to understand X,Y, Z axis and perspective is challenging.
In this case it’s not one of ignorance or ineptitude- it’s hubris- they can’t be told because they know better and won’t be bound by “rules”.

Last time I checked, sloppy and lazy was never a “look”.

Clearly you don’t spend enough time on Instagram.

I’ve owned a Nikon D90 since 2010 and have nice lenses for it. To this day a good picture from it by me is a happy accident. I’ve read books, watched videos, and nothing sticks. I never know how to get the picture I want.

I’ll share the best pic I got from it with my Sigma macro lens.
DSC_9291.jpeg

For many “professionals” as well. Some of the yungins we have at work graduated with BFA’s and MFA’s yet still don’t understand the concept of leading lines, rule of thirds, vanishing points, symmetry and balance. When I try to educate I get “yeah- yeah, of course I know”, but they keep fυcking it up and then couch it in “I was going for a look”. Last time I checked, sloppy and lazy was never a “look”. Just getting them to understand X,Y, Z axis and perspective is challenging.
In this case it’s not one of ignorance or ineptitude- it’s hubris- they can’t be told because they know better and won’t be bound by “rules”.

First you have to know the rules, then you may knowingly break them for creative endeavour

I’ve owned a Nikon D90 since 2010 and have nice lenses for it. To this day a good picture from it by me is a happy accident. I’ve read books, watched videos, and nothing sticks. I never know how to get the picture I want.

DSC_9291.jpeg

Nikon D90 was my first (and only) SLR too! A great camera. A terrible video camera...

How to work a mechanical calculator, if I may add one to the list...

DSC_9291.jpeg
A knowledgeable old hand is invaluable. I could take half way decent photos with my cell phone before I started really trying with a camera, and at first I took better photos with my phone than with my camera. After a few conversations and tinkering with suggestions I have finally gotten to where my photos with my camera are actually getting better than my photos with a cell phone. The camera is a much better tool, but it requires so much more knowledge to utilize.

Remember the old cash register machines you'd see at the grocery checkout lane, almost always manned by a woman who could really make those things sing as she totaled up the groceries without looking at the keys. Now it's all 'slide and scan', and they want you to do it.
Edited:

Adding machine?

Dad’s Victor comptometer was so much fun to play with. I am an incorrigible button-pusher and seeing how long I could get it to whirr and clunk was always so much fun. Of course I had no idea how to use it properly.

It looked a lot like this.
upload_2024-3-20_16-53-19.png

Remember the old cash register machines you'd see at the grocery checkout lane, almost always manned by a woman who could really make those things sing as she totaled up the groceries without looking at the keys. Now it's all 'slide and scan', and they want you to do it.

ah the National class 1 cash register, super reliable and because it electro mechanical you could stick a handle in the side and hand crank it in a power outage

You kids with your fancy machines. Back in my day, we only had an abacus.

il_794xN.3961933411_qrn6.jpg

You kids with your fancy machines. Back in my day, we only had an abacus.

il_794xN.3961933411_qrn6.jpg
Funny… mine was very different to yours.

IMG_4330.jpeg

😁